Compost bin, meat smoker, or a grill

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by lexsurivor, Nov 16, 2010.

1. lexsurivor

lexsurivor Well-Known Member

I found about 20 bricks that the construction workers in my neighborhood threw out. When they build a house they like to leave all the wood and bricks they drop in an empty lot. They end up burying it with a dozer when they put up a house so I do some scavenging on weekends.
    Anyway Im going to lowes to buy some mortar and I was wondering if I should make a compost bin, a meat smoker or a grill/fire pit? Or if you have any other ideas I would love to hear them.

2. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I assume you have more than "20 bricks"... :eek:

grill would probably be the easiest thing

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010

3. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

I like a smoker, but with bricks a grill/fireplace would be nice too!

4. lexsurivor

In going to try to find some more tomorrow. Right now were having a nasty storm. The wind here can get pretty bad. Its torn metal mailboxes off. Took the green street name plates off our stop signs several times now.

5. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

it'll have to be a compost bin unless they're fire bricks

6. The_Blob

you know I've never had to use firebrick except in fireplaces/ovens, but then again I never had agrill get as much continuous use as either of those too :scratch

I was thinking more of a VERY simple open grill with a grate set on top to cook on & another grate to hold the wood/fuel & let ashes drop out... I was also thinking mortarless so that it could be taken down, moved &/or repurposed

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  7. mickbear

mickbear Active Member

could use them as the foundation for a smoke house.

8. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

Think what is most important to you in the long run. Then build that.:D

9. lexsurivor

I decided to go with the grill. I am going to the store to buy mortar now. I'm going to try to find some metal scraps for the grill part. Its going to be a small grill. 2 bricks wide 2 bricks long and 5 bricks high. Its going to only have 3 sides then metal bars on top. There is a pond nearby with tons of fish. Bluegill I think. Im going to catch some then cook them on the grill. Ill post pictures when Im done. Thanks for all the help.

10. The_Blob

old metal refridgerator shelves make good grills

11. lexsurivor

Thanks for the idea! I built the back wall and it is not the most attractive thing but its mine. Ill post pics soon. I spread the extra mortar on the sides thinking it will help it handle the heat better. But who knows if it will work.

12. lexsurivor

I also found out that it can give you some burns oh well it was worth it.