Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found about 20 bricks that the construction workers in my neighborhood threw out. When they build a house they like to leave all the wood and bricks they drop in an empty lot. They end up burying it with a dozer when they put up a house so I do some scavenging on weekends.
Anyway Im going to lowes to buy some mortar and I was wondering if I should make a compost bin, a meat smoker or a grill/fire pit? Or if you have any other ideas I would love to hear them.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
I assume you have more than "20 bricks"... :eek:

grill would probably be the easiest thing

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
I like a smoker, but with bricks a grill/fireplace would be nice too!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In going to try to find some more tomorrow. Right now were having a nasty storm. The wind here can get pretty bad. Its torn metal mailboxes off. Took the green street name plates off our stop signs several times now.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I found about 20 bricks that the construction workers in my neighborhood threw out. When they build a house they like to leave all the wood and bricks they drop in an empty lot. They end up burying it with a dozer when they put up a house so I do some scavenging on weekends.
Anyway Im going to lowes to buy some mortar and I was wondering if I should make a compost bin, a meat smoker or a grill/fire pit? Or if you have any other ideas I would love to hear them.
it'll have to be a compost bin unless they're fire bricks

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
it'll have to be a compost bin unless they're fire bricks
you know I've never had to use firebrick except in fireplaces/ovens, but then again I never had agrill get as much continuous use as either of those too :scratch

I was thinking more of a VERY simple open grill with a grate set on top to cook on & another grate to hold the wood/fuel & let ashes drop out... I was also thinking mortarless so that it could be taken down, moved &/or repurposed

·
Meoww
643 Posts
Think what is most important to you in the long run. Then build that.:D

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I decided to go with the grill. I am going to the store to buy mortar now. I'm going to try to find some metal scraps for the grill part. Its going to be a small grill. 2 bricks wide 2 bricks long and 5 bricks high. Its going to only have 3 sides then metal bars on top. There is a pond nearby with tons of fish. Bluegill I think. Im going to catch some then cook them on the grill. Ill post pictures when Im done. Thanks for all the help.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
I decided to go with the grill. I am going to the store to buy mortar now. I'm going to try to find some metal scraps for the grill part. Its going to be a small grill. 2 bricks wide 2 bricks long and 5 bricks high. Its going to only have 3 sides then metal bars on top. There is a pond nearby with tons of fish. Bluegill I think. Im going to catch some then cook them on the grill. Ill post pictures when Im done. Thanks for all the help.
old metal refridgerator shelves make good grills

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the idea! I built the back wall and it is not the most attractive thing but its mine. Ill post pics soon. I spread the extra mortar on the sides thinking it will help it handle the heat better. But who knows if it will work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts