Completely Off-topic Advice

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Vertigo, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

Hi guys,

I am currently doing my masters degree in business administration, here in Belgium, Europe. And since I only have about 8 months left untill I graduate, I have started looking for options after this. Some of the options include getting a job back here, doing an extra master, or going abroad.

Now, the thing is that I really would like to come over to the US to study and eventually get myself some employment over there. The only problem is that I barely have any sense of what universites are any good over there.

Of course, the big known ones, harvard, MIT,... are pretty decent :) but since my application would need to have left before I was born to even have a chance of getting in (or have a shipping container full of money), these are no longer really viable options.

For me personally it doesn't really matter which state I go to, I would just like to hear your opinion's on good, decent universities, offering graduate or post-graduate programs in the areas of business, economics, history, international studies, and like degrees.

Hope some will be of help and I am eagerly awaiting any replies.

btw, if one state springs to my mind, it would be Texas, since I have some distant family in Austin. But I would be just as interested in other states.

greetz,

Vertigo

2. Country Living

Country Living Supporting Member

Are you getting a general MBA or is there an embedded specialty (economics, etc.)?

3. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Here in PA you could check out Penn State University or the University of Pittsburgh.

4. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

I am not sure, I think I am doing a general MBA For the moment, although in sense I had to choose between business administration with a notion on information systems and a business administration degree with a notion on International management. I chose the latter one. I don't know if that is what you mean with an "embedded specialty", if that's not it, then I guess it is a general one.

greetz,

A.

Oh yeah, before I forget, I have done my bachelor and am doing my master in English. Not my native language.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  5. Country Living

There's a lot of general MBAs. You need to have a degree that sets you apart from the rest of the crowd - that thing that makes you marketable. Since you seem to have some options - find out where the jobs are (and those that are of interest to you), pick your field of study, and from there find the university that supports that field. You're too broad in your search right now.

6. Country Living

Please clarify - are you getting an MBA or a Master's in an area such as Education?

7. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

I'm getting by the end of june 2010 (hopefully ;) my master in business administration with a 'specialty' in International Management. My degree is entirely in English which isn't my mother-tongue.

I hope this helps...

thanks a lot for your help !

8. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

My old Alma Mater San Diego State University is rated up in the top along with Harvard and Yale believe it or not. Fantastic business college reputation. I graduated with a bachelor of science in Public Administration with a minor in Law Enforcement. Look at me now digging holes in my backyard.:nuts:

9. youpock

youpock Well-Known Member

Bob is right, California has amazing schools but they did just up the prices on me! I'm at Cal State Hayward and the cost per quarter just jumped from $1450 to $1675 overnight. :(

You should probably choose a location and then choose a school, might be easier to narrow down choices that way.

10. Country Living

Now I understand about your master's program. It's a general MBA taught in the English language. You have to decide if getting a job may be more important than putting another diploma on your wall.

You have an advantage in the job market if you seek employment with an international company that can use your multilingual skills. I'm assuming you're proficient in at least four languages... right?

Now it just comes down to what do you want to do with your life. It's the question I continued to ask myself "what do you want to be when you grow up?" right up to the day I retired. Answer that question and you'll know what direction to take.

If you still want to go the education route, Texas has diversified educational opportunities. You just have to have the GPA and test scores to get into the top universities' master programs. And you have to learn to say "y'all".

11. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

Well, proficient might be a big word, but yeah I'm reasonably good at English, Dutch and French and I could help myself out in German if need be.

"what do you want to be when you grow up?" That is not a kind of question you ought to be asking me, 'cause I tend to give funny answers :p As a funny story: when I was 8 or 9 years old, my teacher asked everyone to write an essay about that. Mine involved becoming the President of the US... :2thumb: But that's out of the question now :p

Anyway, I really would like to work for FN Herstal for the moment, only problem is, I do not have sufficient experience, or the right degree (they prefer something more technical) so... I dunno for the moment...

Thanks a lot for your help, it surely is appreciated!

greetz,

V.

ps LOOOOL on the "y'all" :D

12. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Wow, Vertigo, your English puts to shame that of most native speakers with whom I work!

Have you looked at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland? They have a really good business school, from what I understand, and a beautiful campus. And students who kill intruders with katanas. (true story, just happened.) In all seriousness, it is a fantastic school.

13. GatorDude

GatorDude Well-Known Member

There are lots of public, state, universities in the U.S. that will offer tremendous value for your money and time. For example, you might look at the University of Florida or University of Virginia. A friend of mine is getting an international MBA from Mercer University in Macon, GA. His studies took him on a brief tour of factories in China and Vietnam and to financial centers in Hong Kong.

If diplomacy is your interest and you can get a job in the Washington, D.C., area, George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia, is an up and coming state school that is rapidly gaining prestige. However, Georgetown University is a private college and is probably the most prestigious U.S. name in International Affairs.

If you are interested in a private sector career with international opportunities, you might look at companies like Coca-Cola.

Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009