Prepared Society Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
352 Posts
I have 2 sons in public education right now. One is in 8th grade, and the other is in 6th. The one who is in 6th grade lives with me, and if I could afford to take him out of school and home school him, I would.

Common Core is a nightmare. When you read the new goals and put them side by side with the previous standards and benchmarks, the new goals are incredibly vague. They deal more in concept rather than information. In some applications this change is quite beneficial, but in others it results in disaster.

The math example posted above is not uncommon. I have a degree in optical physics and I have been hard pressed to understand some of the methods he brings home regularly in math. It no longer matters (in certain sections) if he gets the correct answer, only that he follows the established method to arrive at the answer.

There is also a subtle, but definite push for teachers to begin to teach doctrine, ideology, and world view. A heavy bias exists in the "common core approved" material that is set directly against Christian beliefs and values. For instance, my 6th grader is currently going through a world religions section in social studies, and the common core literature suggests the teacher read a section of scripture to the class and offer an interpretation of what the "central idea and philosophy of Christianity" is.

If kids can't pray before a meal, or mention God in a commencement address, then what business does a teacher have interpreting scripture for them?

There are several other things that are the same. Heavy bias towards reinforcing "climate change perils" and steps mankind "must" take to mitigate them. No mention about the rampant data fabrication, financial malfeasance, and outright fraud that plagues climate research, nor the clear and admitted bias given to positive reinforcement of climate change through the funding architecture.

Common core calls itself a "more rigorous" set of standards, but that is like a suicide bomber calling himself a messenger of the peaceful religion of Islam.

Just because a pig calls itself a falcon doesn't mean it can fly.

So far, the best I have been able to do is purchase old and discarded textbooks and teach my son as much as I can while he is at home. He has Asperger's syndrome, and that has made things more.....interesting.... to say the least. As of writing this, his last assessment (beginning of 5th grade year) has him testing at or above a 10th grade level across the board. I wish I could take credit for that, but most of it is his natural intelligence.

One of the biggest struggles has been keeping him engaged and active at school. He is so strong in most subjects, he gets bored and drifts out of focus. And the teachers are so busy trying to tailor lessons for the kids that weren't "left behind" thanks to other government meddling in education that he often is left to fend for himself.

This is what happens when you have what amounts to a massive, global corporation (in this case, the US gov't) in charge of what should be an individual endeavor....i.e. education.

·
There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.
8,927 Posts
There is also a subtle, but definite push for teachers to begin to teach doctrine, ideology, and world view. A heavy bias exists in the "common core approved" material that is set directly against Christian beliefs and values. For instance, my 6th grader is currently going through a world religions section in social studies, and the common core literature suggests the teacher read a section of scripture to the class and offer an interpretation of what the "central idea and philosophy of Christianity" is.

If kids can't pray before a meal, or mention God in a commencement address, then what business does a teacher have interpreting scripture for them?
My mom taught in a public middle school until last year when she retired. She would rewrite the CC curriculum about ideology so as not to push any religious views on the students. As a Christian woman she wanted to use it as a witnessing tool but that was not her job. That belongs to the parents and family of the students.

CC was one of the reasons she retired.

·
352 Posts
See, I don't have a problem with teaching the historical and cultural aspects of various religions and how that religion has shaped the history of a region or nation. For example, Hinduism has had a huge impact on the political, social, and economic structure of India. Any real discussion of India as a country and a culture must include Hinduism as a guiding influence.

Where I have a problem is a teacher saying the Vedas say "this", and that means as a Hindu you should believe "that". Or, in this case, the Bible says "this" and therefore you should interpret it as "that".

There is a world of difference between teaching historical/cultural significance and teaching doctrine/interpretation of scripture. And that goes for any and all religions.

I find it interesting, and a little concerning, that in examining Connor's class curriculum in this section, it appears that Christianity is the only religion out of the big 5 (Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and Hinduism) where the scriptures were directly used and the teacher was encouraged to offer an interpretation of them.

Like you said... ideology and theology have no business in a government run class room. That is the job of the parent, not the teacher.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
The schools are already "teaching" our children their interpretation of feel good social issues, sexuality, morality, tolerance, diversity, politics, etc. it would only make sense that they re-imagine the tenants of faith too. Besides Christianity is all about hate and intolerance and it could use some fluff and polishing. Hopefully soon they drop reading, writing and arithmetic all together. Who needs those? Too many people are going to college and getting professional jobs while the entry level and base line positions go unfilled. We are not going to create more low information voters and government dependents by educating our youth. An ignorant subject is a happy subject.

:sarcasm1:

21 - 24 of 24 Posts