Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got tired of heating up the stove oven for a few biscuits or muffins so up in the attic I went for my foldable oven,have`nt used it in years but on top of my gas stove I baked some buttermilk biscuits and blueberry muffins .Caution it will get hot quick so pay attention I also cut a 12x12 ceramic tile to used as a heat defuser for under the metal trays, it only comes with one rack so you will have to improvise if you want to baked in more trays. This YouTube video may help. Good luck.
http://www.coleman.com/product/camp-oven/2000009191#.Vj5Ooc-FPIU

·
Banned
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to show it and it really works folks...a simple camping ,emergency, everyday bread recipe and you don`t have to heat the whole kitchen or burn to much fuel to get a healthy hot bread .Water ,yeast, flour and a bowl .I like bread flour for breads but all purpose will do ,this one is 1 cup warm water ,1 pack of regular yeast, 3 cups flour and a bowl to mix in .Warm the water add a teasp. sugar to feed the yeast and proof it ,add flour and knead for a few minutes .Let rise till double ,deflated and shape ,let it rise till double and baked in a hot oven till golden brown or 180* internal temp.With instant/rapid yeast no need for second rising ;just knead shape and let it rise till double ,baked .I don`t add salt to my dough because I like olive oil and garlic over it or my parsley pesto and cheese but salt can be added ,about 1 tbsp. or so after dough is kneaded or it will kill the yeast .
DSCF0479.jpg

DSCF0480.jpg

DSCF0481.jpg

DSCF0482.jpg

Attachments

·
Watching the world self-destruct!
3,044 Posts
I'll give RTG credit for being one heck of a baker! And cook...got several of his recipes stored away! If he ain't doing anything else, he's eating good!! :D

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
I have one, as well, but have never used it. I remember when I first got it, that I had heard about using a ceramic tile in it for consistent heat.

An oven like this could be used on many different stoves.

My daughter has a couple friends who have a "green egg." She watched on Craigslist and bought a used one for significantly less than a new one is. I had seen them in my hardware store, but had no idea about their ability. It can be used for baking and there is a way to regulate the temperature. Of course, she used it to make a steak. They are heavy. I believe hers weighs 170 pounds.

I have no ownership or profit from the company, but thought it would be excellent in a SHTF situation. This is the website http://biggreenegg.com/egg-works/. They have figured out many, many accessories. I am sure the admins will remove the link if it is not allowed. ;)

Simple to Start
The Big Green Egg reaches perfect cooking temperature and is ready to use in just minutes. Our 100% lump charcoal is made in the USA from only the best cuts of natural oak and hickory for superb performance and results. Lighting the charcoal is always quick and easy, as the design of the Big Green Egg allows air flow to circulate efficiently. Use our natural charcoal starter or an electric starter … and never buy lighter fluid again!

Precise Temperature Control
Grill, smoke and bake on your EGG at exact temperatures by easily adjusting the patented air flow systems. You have total control over temperature at your fingertips, maintaining accuracy within a few degrees! The Made in USA temperature gauge provides precise readings to 750°F/ 400°C. Many indoor ovens cannot match the accuracy of the EGG's temperature control!

·
Banned
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
weedygarden the tile is like you stated, for heat diffusion but at the bottom of the oven I had two fire bricks that get hot but work better at diffusing the heat than the ceramic tile ,this type of tile gets really hot and burns the bottom of whatever you are baking that's why on the picture there is another oven pan between the cast iron lid and the tile ,I lost the bricks sometime ago and haven`t replace them yet. In my stove oven I used a pizza stone or red clay tiles for a crusty artisan bread that is out of this world or you can preheat the oven with a cast iron pot in it and then drop the risen dough in it with parchment paper for a crustier bread, I do this also in my charcoal BBQ ,I will post it later ,I also have a recipe for Scottish Bread that uses no yeast, just like in the old world, that I will try and see and post if is eatable .I like old ways in cooking ,simple and care free ,clay pots,cast iron,woks ,charcoal and wood ,stuff I grew up with that don`t need a manual to be operated.

·
Banned
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well been busy baking while the pork chili is cooking in the Crock pot ,the Scottish Bread loaf looks good the peach pie smells good and the round baked hush puppy even better, didn`t wanted to fry them ,can`t wait for dinner.
DSCF0483.jpg

Attachments

·
Banned
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so they said the proof is in the pudding, well time for the proof, I finally try the Scottish Buttermilk Bread and it was good ,simple but good ,to me it actually tasted like those loaf you see coming out of wood ovens in the cowboy movies ,dense and full of buttermilk flavor ,I try it toasted with fresh made butter ,with strawberry jam and with olive oil and a rub from a garlic clove ,they all tasted good .The peach pie well that`s another story ,I made the dough with a commercial lard that was given to me and even after putting sugar in the dough it had a chemical taste to it, I used fresh lard or Crisco ,trash the pie .The Hush puppy bread taste like hush puppies after all it was a commercial mix that I used but baked instead of frying ,no leftovers there ,with the chili it was actually good .
The Scottish bread will be made again just because it`s homemade, fresh and if I probably allow it to sour a little it will pick another layer of flavor from the buttermilk .I made fresh butter with sea salt and heavy cream folks ,there `s nothing in the store that can compare to it.
Scottish Buttermilk Bread.
2 cups of flour, 1 teasp each of cream of tartar and soda, 1/4 teasp salt, 1 teasp sugar, 1 tbsp of room temp butter ,3/4 cup buttermilk or3 tbsp of dry buttermilk with ¾ cup room temp water. There is no kneading here, just mix dry ingredients, cut in the butter till it looks like small peas and add milk .Pat into an 8 inch bread pan and make a ½ deep cut on top. Bake for 35-40 minutes in a 375* oven till golden and a hollow sound when spank .Makes a small loaf but by doubleling the ingredients you can make more. It can be mix in a food processor too ,I did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts