Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about you, but I'd rather surrender unconditionally than live without any coffee. Where is the best place to get bulk beans?

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
Do you roast or are you looking to buy prepacked ground?

What kind of coffee?

This is one of the more popular providers.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/index.php

I'm also the admin on a coffee forum.

http://www.coffeeforum.com/

I will be doing some revisions as we have little traffic, but I have a good base knowledge of coffee and can point you in some of the right directions.

·
Registered
392 Posts
There's a COFFEE FORUM??!!??!! :2thumb: If I had known that I probably wouldn't be prepping!:gaah:

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Hmmm I find this interesting ... might have to try it!

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
I'm not a coffee drinker and I'm sure that true coffee connoisseurs would like to smack me upside the head for suggesting it, but did you give any thought to freeze-dried? Lots of folks stock up on freeze-dried food because it's easy to store and lasts for years. You also wouldn't need to worry about how you are going to grind those beans in a grid-down situation. :peep:

·
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
:2thumb: THANK goodness there's others who love coffee as much as I do. I am hopelessly addicted to it. So my plan is to percolate it, I guess. How else is there? Instant is only fine in a horrible pinch and should not be relied upon for any personal satisfaction or significant reduction of caffeine withdrawal symptoms, imho.

I have a mill to grind beans. Is it cheaper to get beans or already ground? I don't think coffee is very cheap no matter how you get it. Guess Juan Valdez is taking too many coffee breaks.

This is after TSHTF, of course. I'm talking about when there's no power.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
While I love my beans and grind them myself when I make my coffee, I also like a couple of the freeze dried coffees.. like tasters choice(the one packed for the Mexican markets and in the world market aisle) it is cheaper to get the Mexican version (by two bucks)and it tastes better than others I've tried..
I am buying up and storing pre-roasted coffee beans whole and vac-packed into mason jars.
But even folks who think they have to have fancy mocha lattes and other drinks are gonna love a cup of freeze dried if they can't get the other any longer..
I am seriously thinking of buying a tea plant for in the house to go next to my orange and lemon and lime trees. I may not get tons of tea but a nice cup of tea with caffeine would be nice. and with all the herbs I have growing wild in the yard already it could really stretch that real tea out.
I have regular tea in vac-packed mason jars too and have used the one that is over 10 years old and is vac-packed after every opening and it still taste absolutely fine.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I am seriously thinking of buying a tea plant for in the house to go next to my orange and lemon and lime trees. I may not get tons of tea but a nice cup of tea with caffeine would be nice. and with all the herbs I have growing wild in the yard already it could really stretch that real tea out.

you can grow coffee plants in a greenhouse too, they did in new england way back. the problem was that the berries ripen only a few at a time, not too practical for commercial pickers...

·
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh, I'm under no illusions that I will pine away from my flavored Breve from my local coffee shop,:cry: but I've tried several kinds of instant and it's almost worse than no coffee at all.....almost. I suppose a french press would be fine too, but it's getting the beans that freaks me out. BIG bulk, like 25 pounds of it is cheaper per pound than 5 pounds at a time, but I just don't know if I can fork out a wad like that. :(

·
BORN PESSIMIST; we are doomed
1,284 Posts
Since DH & I are coffeeaholics too (him way worse then me), we are concerned about storage. Someone told us that coffee (beans or ground) can only be stored for so long because the oils will make it go rancid. If so, is there ANY way to store it, besides freeze-dried instant? :(

·
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, I've been looking for answers for two days. It's all making me crazy, but I think I've kind of figured out what needs to be done. I currently use a Mr. Coffee drip machine with Folgers or whatever. That will obviously be useless in post :shtf: SO, the next option is to buy beans. Apparently there's great concern for the freshness of roasted beans...I don't know if I am snooty enough to tell the difference. Roasted beans go stale quicker because the oils in the bean have been released by the roasting process. The best idea for storing coffee for long-term would be to buy big bags of green coffee beans and then roast and grind them yourself. Sounds good, but I'm not sure how much time that takes and you may be putting a significant amount of time each day into preparing a cup of coffee, which could be completely impractical. You'd also need to vacuum seal the beans in about 5lb portions so you didn't expose the whole 25lb bag of beans to air while you're using it. For a sealed bucket of beans: http://www.sanmarcocoffee.com/green-coffee-25-lb-pail.html

I think a more reasonable option is to purchase vacuum packed ground coffee. From everything I can find, it appears that it will stay about as fresh for as about as long as anything else. Plus, cost-wise, it's a more feasible option for me personally since I can buy it in increments instead of buying 25 pounds at a time. Plus, I don't have to mess around with a coffee grinder, even though I can grind beans in my grain mill. It will NOT taste like a Starbucks latte when you open it 5 years from now, but it WILL taste like a cup of coffee, which is comforting to me at least. I have both a percolator to use on an open fire and a french press to use with boiled water, so I guess I feel like I'm pretty much covered.

Any other advice?

·
BillM
2,001 Posts
I bought

I just bought 25 lbs of Columbian green coffee beans for $111.00.

I will seal them in two pound seal a meal vacume bags and store them in a plastic bucket. They will keep this way for 20 years.

As I use them , I can roast a pound at a time in my over on cookie sheets.

The oven should be 500 degrees and I roast them for 10 miniuts.

Then I take them outside and blow them with a hair dryer , (no heat) to blow away the bean husks.

You let them cool for about four hours and seal them in a glass jar for use as needed.

I have a hand crank coffee grinder and grind enough for a day at a time.

This just takes a few miniuts. :)

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
I just assumed everyone's preps centered around a huge stash of coffee! :D

We buy the regular cans of coffee at the store, then open them and vacuum seal the grounds. Then they're stacked in buckets, sealed, and put in one of the sheds, which in our cold climate allows food to keep for some time. We keep the stacks of buckets covered with old blankets so light won't seep through the walls of the buckets, which helps keep off-flavors from developing.

We use a French press to make our coffee because it doesn't need electricity or filters. It's great.

(PS: imo, Instant coffee is a different food group altogether! Ugh! :gaah: )

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
I just assumed everyone's preps centered around a huge stash of coffee! :D

We buy the regular cans of coffee at the store, then open them and vacuum seal the grounds. Then they're stacked in buckets, sealed, and put in one of the sheds, which in our cold climate allows food to keep for some time. We keep the stacks of buckets covered with old blankets so light won't seep through the walls of the buckets, which helps keep off-flavors from developing.

We use a French press to make our coffee because it doesn't need electricity or filters. It's great.

(PS: imo, Instant coffee is a different food group altogether! Ugh! :gaah: )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handpresso

Here's an espresso preparation that doesn't include electricity either.

·
BORN PESSIMIST; we are doomed
1,284 Posts
What about the "bricks" of ground coffee that appear to already be vacuum sealed? Wouldn't they keep longer with no further processing (kept in a cool dark place)?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
What about the "bricks" of ground coffee that appear to already be vacuum sealed? Wouldn't they keep longer with no further processing (kept in a cool dark place)?
I have several of those bricks that have Cuban espresso in them and I have found that every so often they lose their seal somewhere and slowly start to "puff" so I have them where I can see them often and if I see any kind of "puff" I vac-pack them in mason jars. in the big tins of coffee I have also found that the vac-pack "sticker" in the middle of the seal will not be tight or rubbed down properly and the vac-pack is not tight like a drum and so I get the little handheld vac packer(from ziplock for their bags) and suck the air out and rub the silver sticker into place and the tin will last longer.
While I love my coffees and have several mason jars of fancy beans from all over the place I am still just a coffee drinker and not a snob about it.. One of my favorite everyday mixes is still Master chef mixed with a brick of Cuban espresso and put in a press. and no matter what others say I like my Nescafe Mexican freeze dried coffee.. it tends to be rich and dark and taste like coffee... not the best but certainly not the worst and when I am having bad back days it is so much easier for my son or other family members who are here to help to just quickly get me a cuppa.

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
Like you I enjoy all types but more often than not go to the cheaper beans as I drink it to fast especially in the mornings when my taste buds have yet to wake up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I won't go without coffee....no way no how....I'm a coffee hoarder! oh...sorry. Why I really logged in was to try and find the cheapest bulk dehydrated veggies, potatoes, etc....I refuse to pay $15 - $30 for a single #10 can.....I'm looking for large bags to break down myself. There isn't an LDS cannery near me, or I'd go there. thanks for any info

·
1,734 Posts
Oh dear God, a coffee forum, like I need another reason to waste time, LOL

For my morning coffee, what ever the hell is on sale is good enough. But, i want to find a really good good coffee for Sunday mornings :) And at the risk of offending a purist or two, I do like starbucks.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts