Prepared Society Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Spiritual Prepper
51 Posts
All my sewing machines can be converted to pedal power if needed.. No fancy smancy digital machines for me.
What kind of machines for you have? I was thinking about buying an old-fashioned manual one...

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
What kind of machines for you have? I was thinking about buying an old-fashioned manual one...
I have an old Montgomery Wards machine from a yard sale (cost my mom a whole whopping $10) and I also have a heavy duty White that is much newer-sews slower but can go thru 4 layers of leather/swede and about 8 layers of denim. Since they are not digitally/computer controlled and just a push the pedal and sew type machines I can just sew by turning the wheel-that kind of machine can easily be made into a crank or foot pedal or even bike type pedaling sewing machine.
A big thrift/bargain store near me has about 20 old pedal sewing machines-mostly singer ones and I have been thinking about just buying one and seeing if they can be converted into being used with my newer machines. the Main problem with them is the belts being hard to find.
But first I need to get rid of all the crap in the junk room and make it a sewing/craft room.

·
BillM
2,001 Posts
They were valuable

The problem is you can't eat gold. When post-war Germany suffered from hyper-inflation, food and cigarettes were more valuable than gold.
True , they were valuable, however, the Nazi's that escaped and set up in a palatial lifestile in argentina and Brazil did so with Gold and diamonds, not Marks.

:wave:

·
Registered
597 Posts
What about marijuana? I think it's legal to have the seeds & it can be used for all sorts of things! Kinda like having a replenishable stash of cigs, xanax, pain killers, etc. :ignore: I don't smoke anything but as a nurse have seen the benefits of marijuana. Just a thought...
When there isn't any law, why would it be illegal.

·
Lifelong Learner
24 Posts
It made an indelible impression on me when, as a young adult in the hospital undergoing elective surgery many years ago, my roommate on the other side of the curtain -- a middle-aged woman with diabetes and a gangrenous foot -- whined incessantly to her doctor about "needing a smoke." He explained about her compromised venous circulation in vain, as it were. :rolleyes:

I saw her family members sneak a pack of Marlboros into her room that evening and watched while she lit the first one up, sucking on it feverishly. Even when I rang for the nurse to object to the cloud of noxious smoke drifting over my bed and nauseating me while I was trying to recover from the anesthetic, this woman refused to put out the cigarette and finished it before the doctor arrived to confiscate the rest of the pack.

When I checked out the next morning, my roommate was back to complaining about her need for a cigarette while the doctor informed her amputation of her foot was a real possibility in her case. :eek:

So I often think of the value of stockpiling tobacco and rolling papers for all those nicotine addicts out there who would probably trade their first-born to keep puffing -- but I just can't do it.

I'll stick with the extra TP, coffee, and bottles of booze -- although the latter might be problematic, too, in loosening up the inhibitions of the MZBs. :dunno:

·
Banned
54 Posts
tp ROTS in a couple of years, people.

big waste of money. go with free telephone books, instead, altho you must know that such paper won't biodegrade enough for use in flush toilets. Since almost nobody will have working flush toilets after shtf, that is a non issue. Cigarettes go very stale in a few months, if they are not kept in a freezer. Better to stock .22lr ammo for the short term, and gold coins, 1/10th oz ones, now, for later on, after things calm down, cause nearly everyone is dead.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
big waste of money. go with free telephone books, instead, altho you must know that such paper won't biodegrade enough for use in flush toilets. Since almost nobody will have working flush toilets after shtf, that is a non issue. Cigarettes go very stale in a few months, if they are not kept in a freezer. Better to stock .22lr ammo for the short term, and gold coins, 1/10th oz ones, now, for later on, after things calm down, cause nearly everyone is dead.
Toilet paper lasts forever if you keep it dry. I don't care if there aren't flush toilets. I'm still storing and using toilet paper. It's a lot gentler on your skin. You don't want to use coarse paper and then end up with skin problems that you don't have the medicines necessary to treat.

Does Toilet Paper Expire? The Great TP Debate

"To get to the bottom of this debate, I went to the King of Toilet Paper himself, Kenn Fischburg, author of the Toilet Paper Encyclopedia and President of our company,ToiletPaperWorld.com. Here's what the King had to say: "Paper can last generations and will only lose effectiveness if it gets wet or moist. There is no set expiration date.""

According to Philip Morris, cigarettes are good for 9 to 12 months. I'm sure after a collapse smokers will smoke them long after that.

At what point do cigarettes go out of date? | LinkedIn Answers | LinkedIn

"Nine months after production date cigarettes are no longer good to be shipped ex-factory. Still, after those nine months, a smoking panel can be organized (random cigarettes are being smoked from the affected lot) and if the results are satisfactory, the lot can still be sold for three more months. After that, no more exception is being granted. So, your answer is nine to twelve months."

One tenth of an ounce gold coins sell for a significant premium and they're too expensive to use for most barter transactions. If gold is worth $1680 an ounce, a tenth of an ounce coin is worth $168. That's a lot to use if you want to buy some apples or tomatoes from someone. Junk silver coins are much better for that. With silver at about $30 an ounce, an old 90% silver Liberty dime is worth about $2.10. So a 1/10 ounce gold coin is worth about 80 old silver dimes. You can read about junk silver here:

Junk silver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
509 Posts
Not a smoker, don't intend to be. However, tobacco does have antiseptic properties! Never tried it, though.
Chewing tobacco will take the pain and swelling from a bee or wasp sting. It has to be freshly chewed to work well. Wetting tobacco from a cigarette does not work. I remember having this remedy applied to my stings as a child when OTC meds were not plentiful and going to a doctor was only for a near death event. As a child with an earache, having smoke blown in my ear was an almost immediate relief.

·
Registered
509 Posts
In the old days, tobacco was ingested as a wormer for humans and animals alike.

At our house, we have chocolate, coffee, and beer brewing to use as currency.
A pouch of chewing tobacco will worm a horse, so will a pound of brown sugar. As a child, I was given 3 drops of turpentine on a half teaspoon of sugar if my mother thought I was 'wormy'. It was awful!

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have an old Montgomery Wards machine from a yard sale (cost my mom a whole whopping $10) and I also have a heavy duty White that is much newer-sews slower but can go thru 4 layers of leather/swede and about 8 layers of denim. Since they are not digitally/computer controlled and just a push the pedal and sew type machines I can just sew by turning the wheel-that kind of machine can easily be made into a crank or foot pedal or even bike type pedaling sewing machine.
A big thrift/bargain store near me has about 20 old pedal sewing machines-mostly singer ones and I have been thinking about just buying one and seeing if they can be converted into being used with my newer machines. the Main problem with them is the belts being hard to find.
But first I need to get rid of all the crap in the junk room and make it a sewing/craft room.
Emerald,
I have three electric machines and 3 treadles. Last year I rescued a treadle that the Rooster has had longer that he has had me. It was a completely rusted hulk. It took a can of WD-40 and a large bottle of oil and many many hours of work, but it now sews even with the old needle that was in it. It is an 1888 model Singer. It is on display in my house, but I would use one of the other treadles as my primary machine in a SHTF situation, since the feet & bobbins interchange with my electric. My small town fabric store had 3 belts for the treadles, & I bought all three. I see the belts almost constantly on EBay. The treadles were straight stitch machines, but I have attachments that will do zig zags and other decorative stitches, hem stitching, ruffling, etc. If the treadles at the thrift store turn well by hand and have bobbin cases and attachments with them, it won't take much to make them sew like a charm and you won't have to go to the hassle of trying to convert an electric.

·
BillM
2,001 Posts
Ear Ache

Chewing tobacco will take the pain and swelling from a bee or wasp sting. It has to be freshly chewed to work well. Wetting tobacco from a cigarette does not work. I remember having this remedy applied to my stings as a child when OTC meds were not plentiful and going to a doctor was only for a near death event. As a child with an earache, having smoke blown in my ear was an almost immediate relief.
My dad was born in 1910. When he was eight years old he got a bad ear ache.

His mom and dad were told by the old woman next door that if they poured "maiden's urine" in the affected ear , it would cure the ear ache.

They secured some urine from dad's aunt and held him down while his mother poured the urine in his ear.

I asked him if it cured the ear ache and he told me that his ear still hurt but he never complained about anything hurting again.

He didn't know whether the remidy was bogus or his aunt wasn't the virgin she claimed to be but he didn't want to undergo any further attempts at folk remidys ! :mad:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Emerald,
I have three electric machines and 3 treadles. Last year I rescued a treadle that the Rooster has had longer that he has had me. It was a completely rusted hulk. It took a can of WD-40 and a large bottle of oil and many many hours of work, but it now sews even with the old needle that was in it. It is an 1888 model Singer. It is on display in my house, but I would use one of the other treadles as my primary machine in a SHTF situation, since the feet & bobbins interchange with my electric. My small town fabric store had 3 belts for the treadles, & I bought all three. I see the belts almost constantly on EBay. The treadles were straight stitch machines, but I have attachments that will do zig zags and other decorative stitches, hem stitching, ruffling, etc. If the treadles at the thrift store turn well by hand and have bobbin cases and attachments with them, it won't take much to make them sew like a charm and you won't have to go to the hassle of trying to convert an electric.
Thanks for that advice! I may just go and check them out again.. Most of them were under $50.. most around $20. Just went and checked Amazon and you can buy 25 feet of leather singer sewing machine belt.. (I am assuming you cut to size and sew it together(?) But I'll bet that with my knack for fixing things with out the right stuff I may just be able to make a belt to fit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ok , at this moment, I have went two weeks, 2 days , 6 hours an 27 seconds with out a cigeratte.. well 28 seconds now , an I'll be darn if I bring them back into the house to barter for any thing , I hope to just clean myself of this nasty habbit, an maybe use the extra money for things like food..
The first week I like to ripped my better half in two,just with words, poor guy didn't even know I was trying to quit. I didn't tell him in fear I would fail for I have failed a couple times before. ok 29 seconds now,,
But he findly noticed I wasn't smoking an things have gotten so much better, at least now I can go in an pay for my gas an not look at the cigeratte section or check my purse to see if I have enought in my pack to last till tomorrow.

But NO, NO ,NO ,will I buy another pack, but Lord help us all when thoes around us don't have there smokes when things get bad..
My better half doesn't smoke an we don't don't drink , other that water, lol ,an course don't use drugs , an I honestly wouldn't want to be around these people who life styles are daily users of this crap.. heck most will kill off there family members first .

·
Supporting Member
1,669 Posts
Ok , at this moment, I have went two weeks, 2 days , 6 hours an 27 seconds with out a cigeratte.. well 28 seconds now , an I'll be darn if I bring them back into the house to barter for any thing , I hope to just clean myself of this nasty habbit, an maybe use the extra money for things like food..
The first week I like to ripped my better half in two,just with words, poor guy didn't even know I was trying to quit. I didn't tell him in fear I would fail for I have failed a couple times before. ok 29 seconds now,,
But he findly noticed I wasn't smoking an things have gotten so much better, at least now I can go in an pay for my gas an not look at the cigeratte section or check my purse to see if I have enought in my pack to last till tomorrow.

But NO, NO ,NO ,will I buy another pack, but Lord help us all when thoes around us don't have there smokes when things get bad..
My better half doesn't smoke an we don't don't drink , other that water, lol ,an course don't use drugs , an I honestly wouldn't want to be around these people who life styles are daily users of this crap.. heck most will kill off there family members first .
:congrat: I'm praying for you also!! Good job........I have now been a nonsmoker for 16 months after smoking for 47 years

·
Registered
672 Posts
And tobacco makes a good insecticide also, but I can't find my recipe! :(

I had heard that if your ear ached, or was stuffy, the remedy was to light a cig and place the filter part in the ear. My aunt claims that the ear actually drew on the cig! She said her ear cleared up and she had no more problems with it. I'd be willing to try that, anything to get rid of the pain of an earache.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts