Coffee, bath tissue and marlboros!!!

Discussion in 'General Homesteading & Building' started by JayJay, Jul 25, 2011.

1. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Here's the original post.

Martin, a Desert Shield veteran and former Boeing (BA) aerospace engineer, has written a book called Apocalypse: How to Survive a Global Crisis, which, according to the author himself, will help readers survive “any global crisis, be it a natural disaster, a financial meltdown or, yes, even an alien invasion.”

“When things break down and infrastructure fails, people won’t know where to go,” he tells Minyanville. “They’ll run to gold first, since Mastercard (MA), Visa (V), and Amex (AXP) will be utterly useless. Banks are going to be gone, cash won’t be worth anything.”

Aside from weapons, which Martin maintains are absolute necessities to stave off “some unwanted post-apocalyptic guest [who] will want to liberate” your belongings, Martin is investing in a wholly different asset class:

Cigarettes.

While others debate the merits of owning one precious metal versus another, Martin, who happens to be a non-smoker, is loading up on as many Marlboros (MO) as he possibly can.

“Americans are addicted to tobacco,” he says. “Anything people ‘can’t live without’ will become essential trading materials.”

Kurt Vonnegut painted quite the realistic picture of cigarette-as-currency in a posthumously published story called “Brighten Up,” about his experience as a prisoner of war in Dresden during WWII:

“Louis converted most of his wealth into the most negotiable of all securities, cigarettes. And it wasn’t long before the possibilities of being a loan shark occurred to him. Once every two weeks we were issued twenty cigarettes. Slaves of the tobacco habit would exhaust the ration in one or two days, and would be in a state of frenzy until the next ration came.”

After taking off for Central Mexico, where he learned “mechanics, welding, fire control, security, farming, ranching, construction, architecture, woodworking, first response, sanitation, plumbing, electrical, heating and air-conditioning, and metalworking,” Martin returned to the States with his new wife, putting down roots in the desert, “leaving the world, family, friends and the rest of the sheep behind.”

“For 10 years, I’ve had no TV, no bank account, no bills, no debt, no mortgage, no news, no mail,” Martin says. “I haven’t stood in a line, haven’t sat in traffic, haven’t spoken to a telemarketer -- I don’t have a phone.”

While the “sheep” are left to their own devices, Martin and his wife will subsist on the goats he and his wife breed, raise, and slaughter, along with chickens, catfish, and produce courtesy of “hydroponic technology pioneered by those growing illegal substances.”

Though his “portfolio” may tend toward the atypical, Martin is traditional enough an investor to diversify.

“Besides cigarettes, there’s really only two other things I’m stocking up on,” he says. “Coffee. And toilet paper.”

Why Marlboro Cigarettes May Be A Better Investment Than Gold | Markets | Minyanville.com

3. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

since manufactured cigs have a large percentage of 'recycled' tobacco in them & all kinds of other crap, don't they go bad (intentionally) faster than canned tobacco? :scratch

:eek: :nuts:

4. lhalfcent

lhalfcent Supporting Member

Freebasing???? what the???????????????? :eek:

5. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

They sure do and even a humidifier or humidor will not bring them back to good as new taste. I invested in cigarette tubes and a packing machine. The tubes have a filter and look like a store bought smoke only empty. You can buy leaf tobacco with NO TAX because it is an agricultural product. It is easy, yet a bit time consuming, to process and cut it up.

The tubes I prefer are $118.00 for 50 cartons of 200. The rolling/packing machine was $40, 2 for $80… always want a backup and extra parts! I have several large bags of flue cured leaf and tobacco seeds as a backup. It takes me a few weekends to process enough tobacco to last a year. Vacuum seal it up, label it and it is good to go, just make sure it is not too moist or it will mold, experience speaking here. If you know your farmer and help pick it out yourself you can get several grades of leaves. I forget the actual names they call them but it is lower, middle and tops. Lower are light, slightly harsh and low nicotine. Middle leaves are as strong to stronger than store bought regular smokes. The tops, well... you best be sitting and have some time on your hand as they are strong.

6. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

We roll our own from pipe tobacco,using filtered tubes.I'm sure its not much better but its 1/6 the price.Don't know if we 'freebase' or not.its a bad deadly habit for SURE.But no worse than many other habits.Bad way to die too,smothering,but I don't guess theres a good way to die.
    I've had some people who never smoked give me dirty looks for smoking who could hardly walk they were so uhealthy.Other drugs are no better than my nerve remedy cigs.:)

7. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

We do the same thing. Tobacco; $11 per lb. Tubes; $2.50 per carton. 2.5 cartons +/- per lb. of tobacco. Finished cigs; around $8.00 per carton

We started making our own back in '08. I have 3 totes that are always filled with 20 - 1# bags. Like most things, unopened, it keeps very well in a cool dry environment. I keep it rotated and that 60# will keep us supplied for 2 years if it disappears from the shelves.
    I vacuum packed a pound back in '09. Last year that bag came up in the rotation. It turns out that when sucking out the air it seems to have removed a lot of the moisture as well. It keeps a lot better in the original packaging.

NOTE: There is legislation in congress right now to raise the tax on pipe tobacco to match the cig tax. That will raise the price from $11 to $45 per lb. Right now it's sitting "in committee." Don't know when but sooner or later it will be addressed. I guess our congresscritters are a little busy right now. Good time to stock up.

8. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

Yes, they are going to close that ‘loophole’ because all you folks who do that are screwing them out of their tax money! They will catch-up to folks who buy whole cured leaf soon too. We can’t have people finding ways to steal their due tax money away from them.

9. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

My mom started smoking @age 15...lived to be 77...yes, died of cancer, but who's to say from what?:scratch
    Some are more susceptible than others...same can be said for lots of things??

10. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I keep a (non) healthy portion of smokes on hand, but that's honestly for me and mine when SHTF. I think I made need a smoke at that point.

11. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

I don't smoke but my grandpa smoked heavily and lived to 92. Yet others die young from smoke-related illnesses. It's a gamble, I guess.

We store tobacco, vacuum-sealed and in an airtight bucket, in a cool, dark place, for future tradeing potential.

What is pipe tobacco? Is it different from the bags of loose tobacco? If it's cheaper (for now, until the taxes are slammed on it), I should get some, but I have no clue about it.

12. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

Pipe tobacco is basically a rougher/wider cut than for cigarettes. I believe some are flavored but you can get straight pipe tobacco also. I’ve read most commercial cigarettes are made out of a low grade tobacco with plenty of additives to flavor them. Most of the tobacco grown in the US is exported, other countries pay a premium because of all the insecticides we prohibit. Most of the commercial smokes are made from imported tobacco where there is little regulation on using pesticides. Ours is expensive, theirs is cheap. It might say 100% Virginia tobacco but that is a type of plant, not where it was grown! I smoke 100% Virginia tobacco that was grown in Franklin County NC.

13. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Thanks, Woody. How do we find US-grown tobacco then? Especially this far from tobacco country (Montana). Is there any way to pick through the BS lables and figure it out?

I guess since mine is for trade use and not for us, it shouldn't matter, but I don't want to sicken my friends and neighbors, either. I know, some would say just offering them tobacco in trade isn't doing them a favor, healthwise, either. :dunno: :D

14. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

It'll be good to have booze too. I'm not a drinker but I plan on having at least 4 bottles of Absolut Vodka. I'll probably need a couple of drinks just to get to sleep after it all hits the fan.

I see gold as having the most value in the time leading up to the collapse and after the government gets the economy going again. Laptops and iPhones won't have much value during the SHTF time either.

During a collapse I think canned food will be a very valuable item along with toilet paper, cigarettes, booze, guns, and ammo. Another valuable item will be pet food. My wife and I plan on getting a cat or two in the coming months. Now I'll need a year's supply of pet food and kitty litter too.

15. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

you'll find that Mother Nature has provided PLENTY of cat food... BIRDS! (and mice) :lolsmash:

as for litter box... if you have potted plants..................... :eek: :rolleyes:

16. Nadja

Nadja Well-Known Member

I will disagree with most here on the gold issue. If the shtf, and you have 1,000 gold coins in oz. , what will happen if you try to trade it for a few potatoes ? How would the tator grower make any kind of change ? Right now, if you were to go to the grocery store and try and pay your bill with a 1oz rand, would the store make you change ? Silver , I think would be a far better managable source of barter.

But, cigs, oh man, that is better then gold. This is spoken from a smoker for about 50 years now.

17. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Mr. Bill...melatonin...I have stocked up!!!:ignore:

18. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

I honestly don't think precious metals will be the primary means of trade. The problems with them are deal breakers, IMHO. Their value is not widely known. Who knows what an oz of gold is worth? They're not useful, they meet no immediate need. Most can't determine a real gold/silver coin from a fake. Why would they trade for metals when they could trade for something either they have an immediate need for or know that item is something someone else would need? That's my .02 on the matter so we have no PMs. :dunno:

19. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

While I do have some silver and a bit of gold held back, I don't believe that it will be worth anything for barter either(maybe some of the rings for weddings later on).. Maybe in the beginning when folks think that the SHTF is not gonna last(think back to Katrina and the ding dongs stealing tvs and electronics that would not be useful for many many many weeks). Sure some folks will want to trade for them but not many... I have sewing needles-fishing hooks and extra line, and am stocking up on threads too. at the moment I have been going thru stuff for a yard sale and some stuff is going straight to thrift store.. But all good jeans are still here and will be kept after yard sale. I can either barter them, or make things from them.. good sturdy clothing will become like gold--just think-sure there is clothing everywhere now.. but with no china or asia for our cheap *** clothing to come from we will not have replacements right at hand. Just one of the many things that are seldom thought of by folks other than us preppers. And then even some preppers might not have thought of this. All my sewing machines can be converted to pedal power if needed.. No fancy smancy digital machines for me.

20. Immolatus

Immolatus Just getting started. Always.

While this is obviously true in some sense, in a societal collapse there will be few people able to afford gold, and the problems with making change, BUT, in the event of some kind of monetary collaps, gold will go through the roof, and other than actual true tangible assets (food/water/guns/etc) this will be the only form of money still worth anything.
    Other than those above assets, it will be the ONLY medium of exchange. I include silver with gold.
    I would think who doesnt know the price of gold? It the only true measure of inflation, and the only real measure of currency value. What is your dollar worth? A Euro? Its true measure is how much gold it will buy.
    Gold and silver have always been THE mediums of exchange. Always.
    While an ounce of silver isnt worth anything to someone who has no food, when SHTF, gold and silver will be literally worth a fortune. If the dollar/euro collapse, it will be the only money around. A quarter from 1963 is worth $6.
    Just for the sake of discussion, lets say the dollar collapses on August 3rd.
    What will people use or accept as money? Your dollars are worthless. Gold and silver are now worth a ton of 'money' because they are the only money around that everyone understands.

I assumed that everyone on this forum would know this. Its basically the only discussions going on in the money and investing threads.
    It will be the only form of money, because it has always been.