Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from cooking, tell me about coconut oil.

I bought some to make deodorant. What else can I use it for(medicinally): lotions, salves, lip balms, wound care, etc.....?

Share your recipes, please!!!!!!:flower:

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Coconut oil makes a great natural sunscreen. I apply a thin coat to my face, hands, and arms in the summer, and never burn.

Mixed with honey it makes a great sooth for a sore throat.

My husband uses it on his feet when they get dry and cracked. We keep a separate jar for "topical uses".

My daughter makes soap, and I gave her a 32 oz. jar of coconut oil to make a batch of soap for me. She added other things like oatmeal, and it's wonderful soap.

md, I'd love to know how you're going to make deoderant with it, since alternatives to commercial deoderants is something I'm interested in.

·
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
1/4 c baking soda **
1/4 c cornstarch
4-6 T coconut oil
essential oil of your choice(optional)

**make sure your baking soda does not contain aluminum if that is one of your concerns**

Mix all together and either keep in a container and apply like a cream with your fingers or pack in to empty stick deodorant containers and apply like normal.

I used a couple of drops of tea tree oil in mine for the scent but also because of the antibacterial properties.

With this being winter (and rather cool in my house) it is solid now, I think during the summer I may have to store it in the fridge.

I did put some in a small jar for topical use too. I need to find a small container for my purse for using it on my chapped lips.

Could you get your Daughters soap recipe to post???

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
used instead of lard in pie crusts and tortillas it really gives a nice flavor and texture- much more tender/delicate.
Also rubbed into my hands and hub's feet really helps with the winter dry/cracking/peeling that happens.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Aside from cooking, tell me about coconut oil.

I bought some to make deodorant. What else can I use it for(medicinally): lotions, salves, lip balms, wound care, etc.....?

Share your recipes, please!!!!!!:flower:
When coconut oil mix with the lemon juice and scalp the hair with this mixture. then, this helps in removing the dandruff of the hairs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
there are lots of uses of coconut oil. i apply this on my hair every night and then my hair becomes silky, smooth.it also serves as moisturizer especially during very cold season.

·
I'm done - gone
1,585 Posts
I just got my gallon of coconut oil that I ordered. Thought it was held up in Chicago LOL

I've been using my homemade deodorant using the CO, and I have to tell you, I love it! I do Not Smell! At all!! ( and i come from smelly people lmao) I added some essential oil that was a combo nation of both tea tree and lavender. Yummy. I love lavender. mmmm

It's wonderful on toast,pancakes and cornbread. (oh my!).

I've started using it as a moisturizer for my face. very nice.

I've read where some people just eat it straight. And others put it in their tea and coffee and in their smoothies and their baking.

·
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I noticed how smooth the skin (under my arms) has become from using the homemade deodorant.

I have started using straight coconut oil after shaving and no longer get those red bumps/razor burn.:tmi: I know!!! But it works great!

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
1/4 c baking soda **
1/4 c cornstarch
4-6 T coconut oil
essential oil of your choice(optional)

**make sure your baking soda does not contain aluminum if that is one of your concerns**

Mix all together and either keep in a container and apply like a cream with your fingers or pack in to empty stick deodorant containers and apply like normal.

I used a couple of drops of tea tree oil in mine for the scent but also because of the antibacterial properties.

With this being winter (and rather cool in my house) it is solid now, I think during the summer I may have to store it in the fridge.

I did put some in a small jar for topical use too. I need to find a small container for my purse for using it on my chapped lips.

Could you get your Daughters soap recipe to post???
How do you know if its got aluminum in it? Wwhat will the ingrediant sy to let you know it has this in it?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts

·
38 Posts
How very odd. Someone just gave me that recipe for deodorant last night. Thanks for bumping this up because it was in a chat and I hadn't written it down. Once my stash I got for free runs out, I think I will give that a try. Glad to hear it works so well.

·
38 Posts

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
That's what I was wondering as well. There is a blog post here about it: Does Arm and Hammer Baking Soda Contain Aluminum? | Gapalicious which says Arm & Hammer is aluminum-free. They emailed the company.

There's also another here: Sodium Bicarbonate Dosages and Treatments - IMVA » Product Quality and Cost

Apparently it is Baking Powder that contains aluminum.
:flower: Good news and thanks.I hope Clabber Girl is aluminum free also cause I bouht several cans.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts