Coconut oil

Discussion in 'Health & Medicine' started by mdprepper, Dec 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

Aside from cooking, tell me about coconut oil.

I bought some to make deodorant. What else can I use it for(medicinally): lotions, salves, lip balms, wound care, etc.....?

Share your recipes, please!!!!!!:flower:

2. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Coconut oil makes a great natural sunscreen. I apply a thin coat to my face, hands, and arms in the summer, and never burn.

Mixed with honey it makes a great sooth for a sore throat.

My husband uses it on his feet when they get dry and cracked. We keep a separate jar for "topical uses".

My daughter makes soap, and I gave her a 32 oz. jar of coconut oil to make a batch of soap for me. She added other things like oatmeal, and it's wonderful soap.

md, I'd love to know how you're going to make deoderant with it, since alternatives to commercial deoderants is something I'm interested in.

3. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

4. mdprepper

1/4 c baking soda **
    1/4 c cornstarch
    4-6 T coconut oil
    essential oil of your choice(optional)

**make sure your baking soda does not contain aluminum if that is one of your concerns**

Mix all together and either keep in a container and apply like a cream with your fingers or pack in to empty stick deodorant containers and apply like normal.

I used a couple of drops of tea tree oil in mine for the scent but also because of the antibacterial properties.

With this being winter (and rather cool in my house) it is solid now, I think during the summer I may have to store it in the fridge.

I did put some in a small jar for topical use too. I need to find a small container for my purse for using it on my chapped lips.

Could you get your Daughters soap recipe to post???

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  5. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

thoroughly mixed it should be just temperature resistant as store-bought deoderant :congrat:

6. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

used instead of lard in pie crusts and tortillas it really gives a nice flavor and texture- much more tender/delicate.
    Also rubbed into my hands and hub's feet really helps with the winter dry/cracking/peeling that happens.

7. iprepare143

iprepare143 ExCommunicated

When coconut oil mix with the lemon juice and scalp the hair with this mixture. then, this helps in removing the dandruff of the hairs.

8. tyrarobs

tyrarobs New Member

there are lots of uses of coconut oil. i apply this on my hair every night and then my hair becomes silky, smooth.it also serves as moisturizer especially during very cold season.

9. Genevieve

Genevieve I'm done - gone

I just got my gallon of coconut oil that I ordered. Thought it was held up in Chicago LOL

I've been using my homemade deodorant using the CO, and I have to tell you, I love it! I do Not Smell! At all!! ( and i come from smelly people lmao) I added some essential oil that was a combo nation of both tea tree and lavender. Yummy. I love lavender. mmmm

It's wonderful on toast,pancakes and cornbread. (oh my!).

I've started using it as a moisturizer for my face. very nice.

I've read where some people just eat it straight. And others put it in their tea and coffee and in their smoothies and their baking.

10. Papaya

Papaya Member

I eat a little bit of coconut oil a day typically. Seems to have raised my HDL cholesterol levels a bit. Also have read about it's high lauric acid content being healthy for the body.

11. humanoddity

humanoddity New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2011
  12. mdprepper

I noticed how smooth the skin (under my arms) has become from using the homemade deodorant.

I have started using straight coconut oil after shaving and no longer get those red bumps/razor burn.:tmi: I know!!! But it works great!

13. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

All this info is making me wish I could use coconut oil! But alas, it gives me hives. :eek:

14. ReconCraftTheta

ReconCraftTheta WWII Reanctor/Architecture Student

Very good topic right here! :D

15. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

How do you know if its got aluminum in it? Wwhat will the ingrediant sy to let you know it has this in it?

16. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

Well thanks to your post I've spent all morning reading all about the subject...hahahah... and thank all of you !!

I'm sold!

17. Journey

Journey Junior Member

How very odd. Someone just gave me that recipe for deodorant last night. Thanks for bumping this up because it was in a chat and I hadn't written it down. Once my stash I got for free runs out, I think I will give that a try. Glad to hear it works so well.

18. Meerkat

Does Arm and Hammer have aluminum in it?

19. Journey

Journey Junior Member

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  20. Meerkat

:flower: Good news and thanks.I hope Clabber Girl is aluminum free also cause I bouht several cans.