CLUCK - Lost the fight

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by NaeKid, Jun 3, 2010.

1. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

TwoLilFishies just lost her battle with the city. Looks like it will end up going to the supreme-court now ..

2. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Oh, good grief. I figured that kind of nonsense only happened down here in the states.

I've read that more and more urban areas in the USA are ALLOWING people to have laying hens! I even seen a magazine article showing someone in NYC with chickens on the roof of a high-rise building! (Hopefully they're fenced both around and over their pen!)

I can't figure out why Calgary would do that.

3. NaeKid

Ya - that crap is happening here. The thing is, the city back'd down and said that they can keep their chickens. Then there was a notice very short time ago stating that it was going to council again. I couldn't go there to support CLUCK because I need to give sufficient-notice to my boss if I need vacation-time. I found out about it 24hr before the meeting.

:mad: I am really starting to hate Calgary and everything about it. :mad:

4. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

“In my view, farm animals should remain on the farm where they can be cared for by competent farmers,” said MacDonald, who was happy council nixed the pilot.

Do they have Farmer competency test in Canada? That man doesn't sound like the sharpest knife in the drawer. Not to mention the majority of outbreaks take place on farms.

5. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

That really stinks. :mad:

Wish her all the best from us in her continuing saga.

6. Aemilia

Aemilia Zookeeper

:dunno: What does this mean? Its a really cock-eyed sentence, almost a double negative. How many things/activites could we replace "chicken operations".

7. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

but they also have no science that supports the notion that chickens in the backyard WOULD compromise people's health, either!

While they're protecting us to death, is there science that supports the notion that, say, 2nd hand smoke in the home might harm children, etc.? Funny what they pick and choose to protect us from.

Gotta really watch those home-grown eggs. I hope "they" don't find out I'm not a competent farmer! I'm more of a half-a**ed farmer...but my chickens are happy and those eggs sure are good!

8. NaeKid

All I know is that the fearless leader of CLUCK is willing to take this right to the Supreme Court of Canada in his fight against the city.

Nope - no competency test that I know of. Oh ya - that MacDonald person is a she-nurse. A NURSE!!! What the hell does a NURSE know about chickens unless she is a veterinary nurse and then I might half-believe what she has to say. Her words are very vague and confusing.

You are right. Standard double-speak of a politician in the city. They are all looking for re-election and can't stand to take a stand on something if it means that they will loose-out on thier $150,000/year paycheque

The birds take care of themselves - happy to have some food and water and then they do what birds do. It doesn't take a degree from some prestigious university to raise the birds and steal their eggs.

If my friend Colleen could raise free-range chickens and still be able to collect the eggs regularly with a known family of coyotes 1/2 mile down the way and raise 4 kids plus everything else on her little 40 acre farm (sheep, horses, pigs, etc), anyone that has the notion can raise chickens in their backyard here in the city!!!

9. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I raised them as a kid and am grateful for the opportunity. I learned a lot about life raising chickens. The most important lesson that no matter the effort, sometimes things don't work out like you want. I had the neighbors chows brake out of their yard and kill a dozen chickens. They got into the coupe and everything in there died. Sort of changed my perspective on "fair". After that I was cleaning blood and feathers up crying for all the months I had spent feeding them, letting them out in the mornings, putting them up in the evening, all of it destroyed. What made it the worst though was the neighbor brought one of my dieing chickens that the dogs had managed to bring back with it and she screamed at me fore thirty minutes about how I was a horrible person for throwing dieing chickens in her yard.

I kind of went off topic there sorry.

10. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Oh Dean...

I'm sorry that happened.

And that neighbor lady? What a moron.

11. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

So the whole arguement against chickens in the city seems to be disease control. But then again, the family cat or dog could spread disease as well. How long until they aren't allowed in cities?

And what exactly makes you competent enough to raise chickens? Taking 4-H and FFA as a kid? Do more than just choke them? What?

12. NaeKid

Allen,

Everything alive can spread a disease - and - even some dead-stuff can help spread disease. Chickens cannot spread disease anymore than a dog or cat.

We are allowed to have pigeon-pens in the city with 100 birds in the pens.

We are allowed to have a dozen dogs per household in the city.

We are allowed to have a dozen cats per household in the city.

We are not allowed to have 3 chickens. Period.

Ya know what - I think that I might just start raising bichon shih tzu for the BBQ. Anyone want a leg of fluffy? :gaah:

13. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

The city of Cincinnati worked at doing away with all of the pigeons around the city due to people getting crapped on, however then the rat population went way up due to trash all around town.

14. BillM

BillM BillM

Perhaps

Prehaps the city official was frightened by a chicken when she was a child ?

The Roosters can be deadly. One of the "Cock Fighting " enthuseists was killed by a laceration to his calf , delivered by a Game cock that he had just fastened a razor spur knife to. This happened last week.

I am waiting for the preventive ledgislation on this incident.

I kinda chalk it up to him being another contender for the "Darwin Award".

:nuts:

15. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

We love our 50 chickens and have 50 chicks ordered for this spring. We have fought fox, dogs, cats, o'possum,owls & hawks to keep the girls safe. Our dog (a boxer) lays out there and let's them walk all around her, they don't bother her and she doesn't bother them. We sell our eggs for $1.50/dz to those that can pay, give them away to those that can't. We have plenty for ourselves and when they are laid-out we have chicken to eat. The money we make from selling is kept seperate to buy feed and more chicks, surprising how fast it can add up. I would not be a happy camper if told I could not have my chickens.