Clothing and Shoe Recycling

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by kettleMan, Apr 3, 2009.

1. kettleMan

kettleMan Guest

I haven started noticing these orange boxes labeled "Clothing and Shoe Recycling" in parking lots of grocery stores and other places. Does anybody know who runs these?

2. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Here we have several groups that have put up bins that they clear out very regularly. Salvation Army, Mennonite Centers, Catholic Churches and GoodWill type of stores use these boxes to take in donations, sort-through and then decide if they are to be donated, sold, recycled or thrown-away.

My ex used to work in one of those sorting plants. If the clothing was not good enough to sell, they were cut-up, stuffed into bags and turned into shop-rags - sold to mechanics shops and such. Any metal that wouldn't be good enough to sell ended up in a recycle-bin and then sent on its way to become parts in cars or whatever.

I am sure that those bins you are seeing are similar in nature.

3. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Most of the bins are for charity. Some of them are "for profit" and people sort the clothes and other items and re-sell them.

4. Janis

Janis Guest

Anybody know how often they get sorted out?

5. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Probably monthly. More often if a location is popular and they get full quick. A big truck comes and empties them out.

6. NewToPrep

NewToPrep Guest

I hope nobody rudely uses them as trash cans!