Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, im getting together what i would like as far as early friend/foe detection for our new place......First thing i would like to put together is the Front gate.....I plan on having some kind of MASSIVE ram proof gate that can be opened/closed from the house....I would like to also have some sort of Motion detector that when someone drives up to the gate it will send an alert to the house.....I would like to also have a small CCTV system in place so that when the alarm gets tripped, i can walk in the office and see who it is..........Can anyone make any recommendations? The front of the drive is not visible from the house and is about 800 ft away..... At this point I am not worrying about directly outside of the house but would like to be able to upgrade to that later if need be, so expandability is important....Also im not rich so top of the ine wont be feasable but will def not go so cheap that its going to fail, or be a hssle to keep going....

·
Registered
29 Posts
A large ram proof gate capable of keeping out a 4 door sedan is extremely expensive, requires deep retractable hydraulic posts be buried into the ground and tells anyone passing by that there's something worth protecting behind the gate.

Depending on the neighborhood, I think you'd be much better off having a large gate with an electronic opener and make it look like it's an old gate with nothing behind it. You can have a sturdy metal structure, then allow vines to cover it or even camo it with lots of small underbrush growing on the structure.

If you're trying to keep out the average burglar or scumbag teenager from breaking into your house, a "beware of dog" sign, lights or even an alarm company sign will go a long way in having them hit the unprotected house down the road. However, if you're worried about bands of looters & rioters, then your best bet is to camo your position and allow them to pass by without so much as a look in your direction. Another thing that's in my bag of tricks is if there are rioters or looters in my area, I have signs that will be attached to the gate that read "biohazard do not enter", "asbestos danger do not enter" and my favorite "toxic water site do not enter". The vast majority of scumbags aren't real sharp and if they think that there is an unseen danger to their pathetic existence, they'll move on down the road.

As far as cameras go, a buddy of mine who's a sheriff, installed a great camera system from Costco and he highly recommends it. You also might think about adding an IR camera for night because the lowlifes don't always come in the light. There are tons of places that have software that allow you to watch your cameras online. The phone app looks cool but I'm sure there are other cheaper ways to do it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
A ram proof gate and too much perimeter fortification basically screams " valuables here" and not what one really wants to convey

I posted some time ago about systems like this (link below) a intrusion detection system unfortunately they only sell to the military/government

QTI Intrusion Detection Systems

This is the closest thing to it then these guys have a driveway sensor and and motion sensors park there around the perimeter to alert you

Web Catalog - Dakota Alert Wireless Security Equipment

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks guys. Im going to chk those links as soon as im done with this reply...As for the ram proof gate, I definitely do not not have any immediate need for this level of security and you definitely bring up a good point about not wanting to make people think there is something worth chking out...My thinking was more for the future when everything goes down.......As it stands now, even though we are out in the country, there are lots of drug users with a few mile radius.......from talking with my nearest "good" neighbors, they assure me the druggies are of no real concern....they stay to themselves.....but if or when SHTF they will 100% be our IMMEDIATE concern.....On a good note, if the economy fails, well, these people are already living with nothing and have adapted so its really going to b business as usual, minus the govt chk they wi not be receiving.....but iy seems like most of them have been poor farmers for generations.....anyway. ill let yall know what i come up with as far as the CCTV goes

·
Registered
320 Posts
druggies won't be the only problem what about the business man with a power tie and BMW and no food? What about parking a vehicle in the drive way and disabling it..pull the distributor for example?

A CC TV is a good idea but who's going to sit and watch it 24/7 ? Thats why i like the idea of remote sensors they quietly alert you when tripped

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
druggies won't be the only problem what about the business man with a power tie and BMW and no food? What about parking a vehicle in the drive way and disabling it..pull the distributor for example?

A CC TV is a good idea but who's going to sit and watch it 24/7 ? Thats why i like the idea of remote sensors they quietly alert you when tripped
Well, good thing is, I dont think there are any "power tie, BMW drivers" within 30 miles of here........

the set up i am envisioning is......someone drives up to gate and trips an alarm in the house, signaling one of us to ch out the TV monitor that will be in our office.....

You cant see the end of the driveway from the house so some kind of visual monitoring is essential in my opinion.....

·
Registered
320 Posts
my point is many civilized people will act like animals.

i think you have a good plan the company i gave you a link to sells vehicle and pedestrian remote wireless detection systems

1 - 11 of 11 Posts