Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any Civil War Re-enactors in the group? I just joined a unit and will be at the battle of Bull Run. Or for that matter are there any re-enactors of any era of earlier history? What skills have you learned that would help you in a situation when our 21st century conviences went down? Are there any of the old ways that you practice in daily life today? :scratch

·
Comic Relief Member
980 Posts
Sounds like fun, Sailaway; hope you have a GREAT time.

Sometimes I feel like I was born back then, when the arthritis starts flarin' up. :eek:

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
:threadbump:

Interesting topic -- I dont currently but have thought it would be a fun thing to do sometime!

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
They have a place in N.Central Florida that puts one on every year.Some of the participants are black.Said it was'nt as much about slavery as it was taking over the souths agriculture.Either way slavery was evil from its inception.

We see it in the news papers where the women dress up in antibellium hoop dresses and the men dress like confederate soldiers.never been to one but would like to.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
dh has studied civil war meds. can learn a lot about the old way. even learned how they made chloroform back then and why ether was not used in the field. his great-plus grandfathers were doc from 1815 to 1939 graduating fro Iowa doc college before it was common to have a professional degree.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
I'll bite: why didn't they use ether?

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
Workin on the mountain man rondevous thing. Most anythin ta do with that would be usefull, from startin fires, cookin, makin tents an gear an black powder huntin, makin bows an arrows. All that sorta astuff.

Good luck with the reenactors, got friends what do it an really enjoy it. So ya a yankee er a confederate?:D

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'll bite: why didn't they use ether?
ether was flammable. bullets were red hot. most treatment was done in the battle field with red hot debris flying all around. chloroform was not flammable and was safer to use. hospitals that were away from the battle sites did use ether. they also used boiled horse hair for sutures in the south.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Are there any Civil War Re-enactors in the group? I just joined a unit and will be at the battle of Bull Run. Or for that matter are there any re-enactors of any era of earlier history? What skills have you learned that would help you in a situation when our 21st century conviences went down? Are there any of the old ways that you practice in daily life today? :scratch
What you want us southern folks to share our plan with the Yanks!!! What are you thinking????

(And for the ones that don't get the JOKE! I'm Joking!!!!!!!!)

Re-enactors are a blast ... but I love living in the past, so what can I say ... Lots to learn and have fun with ...

Cooking food from that day "only" and all the stuff that goes with it! Love it ... and I hope you do also ... even if you are a dang yank! ;)

·
Banned
399 Posts
Workin on the mountain man rondevous thing. Most anythin ta do with that would be usefull, from startin fires, cookin, makin tents an gear an black powder huntin, makin bows an arrows. All that sorta astuff.

Good luck with the reenactors, got friends what do it an really enjoy it. So ya a yankee er a confederate?:D
My brother used to go to the mountain man rondevous. He really enjoyed it but got some hard looks because he stayed in a motor home instead of sleeping on the ground.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Re-enactors are a blast ...
Especially when they shoot off those old canons!!!
I really want one but I'm told they go for $20,000 or so. :eek: Don't want one that bad. :rolleyes:

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Stayingthegame: I wouldn't have thought of that but it doesn't surprise me. I just couldn't imagine the accidents that happened to make them decide to get rid of flammables in the field hospitals.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Civil War Medicine here is a link to the civil war medicine. there is an additional link on how to do amputations. If you want links to other sites let me know. they are bookmarked on a different computer. If you want to make this a thread for information, you may put a copy of this note elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Civil War Medicine here is a link to the civil war medicine. there is an additional link on how to do amputations. If you want links to other sites let me know. they are bookmarked on a different computer. If you want to make this a thread for information, you may put a copy of this note elsewhere.
With my broken leg and arm while at the Mansfield, Oh. Civil War Artillary Show the surgical unit there offered me a 2-4-1 deal on a double amputation.:D:D:D:eek::ignore:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
were they from the north or the south
the south had a better survival rate after because they used the horse hair. the north used silk but didn't boil it.

·
Adventurer at large
541 Posts
Every March, we have the "Battle of Natural Bridge" south of Tallahassee - around the 4th, 5th, 6th - whenever the weekend falls close to the actual battle date in 1864.
An old ex-neighbor used to be the "Colonel" in charge of the local Rebels, and they fight the Yankee's invasion every year and beat the Bluebellies back!
This was one of those battles of local "Old men and kids" banding together to 'fight the good fight'! The invading Northern force comprised one or more Black companies with White officers. They made three attempts to ford the creek and approach Tallahassee, then the last Confederate capitol, and the only one east of the Mississippi never captured by the Yanks.
But, it was a Pyrric Victory - by that time the War was lost, and once the Yanks took the port/rail town of St. Marks, Tallahassee was cut off from resupply, and was no longer any threat.
Still, it is our local bit of Civil War history. :2thumb:

The old earthworks are still discernable, and relics are still found on occasion in the creek or it's surrounding lands.
It's very interesting to see and talk with the serious re-enactors. The Rebs have it a bit easier, as much of their clothing and gear can be made. Not nearly as much 'uniformity' and regulation as the Yankee gear. Still, gearing up properly is not cheap!
The Confederate side always has the 'Doctor's Table' where the Doc gets to sawing on some poor Reb wounded in action. Lucky for him, only the brandy is real! :D
On Highway 90 going west towards Marianna from Tallahassee, there is a small Civil War Museum in the upper floor of a leather and saddlery shop. Very interesting to visit! They have old medical gear and tools, guns, uniforms, a full set of horse gear on a horse mannikin, and a couple carts. A cannon too, if I remember right.

I am another Southern Son who firmly believes the War was all about State's Rights and the Industrial North basically raping the South of it's resources.
Slavery was NOT a serious issue til the war was going badly for the North, and the Tyrant Lincoln needed a rallying cry to pull his fractured and tired people together to continue his illegal and immoral war.
But that is stuff for a different thread....... :rolleyes:

·
Banned
399 Posts
Especially when they shoot off those old canons!!!
I really want one but I'm told they go for $20,000 or so. :eek: Don't want one that bad. :rolleyes:
I see a working replica of one for sale on craig's list sometimes. I think they only want a couple of hundred for it. Might be better if you let someone else fire the first round.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It was fascinating to watch and listen to the blacksmith talk about shaping metal and the temperatures it works best at. Forge welding is interesting in how you can repair cracks without introducing any more material to the piece.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got back from Bull Run earlier this week. They allowed no walk ons and closed registration a month before the event took place. I was told that this is because homeland security did a back ground check on all of us gun toten reenactors.:dunno: Do you think this is so?:scratch

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.