Civil Defense crackers!!

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by ReconCraftTheta, May 25, 2011.

1. ReconCraftTheta

ReconCraftTheta WWII Reanctor/Architecture Student

Alright, so, today at an antique store I came across some "Civil Defense all purpose survival crackers". Made in 1965, I believe. Sealed tin, all the fancy stuff. I got home, checked a few forums about them, and, most say they should be alright to eat. Just going to get you guy's opinion here. Yey or ney to eating??? They look fine.

Attached Files:

2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I don't see why not. The worst they can be is stale.

3. jnrdesertrats

jnrdesertrats Noob

You could try them out on a sibling:sssh:

4. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Man ... how come I never find stuff like this at my antique stores ... ???

5. efbjr

efbjr Well-Known Member

Got any 1965 peanut butter to go with them? :D

6. ReconCraftTheta

Will MRE butter do? hahaha. Danke, guys. Like I say, sealed tin and everything, just as you can see, curiosity lead me to open it. Obviously after that there was a response of: "Well, ****. Now I have to eat them!"

7. ReconCraftTheta

To my surprise, upon trying them this morning, they were alright. Still crunchy, but they aren't something I'd eat alone, they need flavor.

8. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

Still better than the alternative!

9. ReconCraftTheta

Way back, the place I live had a lot of fallout shelters. Binghamton (put 2 and 2 together, haha) was a major steel manufacturer, thusly one of the CCCP's biggest targets on the secondary target list. In my adventures, I've visited one of said shelters.... cold, humid, then hot and humid, all the time dark. :D

10. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

I remember eating these as a kid. For some reason my dad had lots of MREs, almost like maybe they were left over from Vietnam days or something...:dunno:

I loved 'em, the peanut butter too! Yum...can you say sticky!

11. ReconCraftTheta

Nice! haha. Reenacting gets you used to the German stuff like Hartkek and Knackelbrot. Fun times, fun times.

On a side note, they've been set aside with the rest of my stockpile.