City To Ban Discussing/Meeting to Talk About City Affairs In Public AND IN HOME

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by IrritatedWithUS, Jul 19, 2011.

1. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

The following article has been republished with permission from The Intel Hub.

A small Arkansas town of 850 is attempting to ban groups from meeting to talk about the city without first getting permission from the city itself.

In a move reminiscent of Nazi Germany, the Gould, Arkansas City Council has moved to ban all groups from discussing the city, even in their own home!

Mayor Earnest Nas, in strong statements supporting the peoples constitutional rights, said he is willing to go to court to stop this plan.

“This is America and even though this is Gould, Arkansas, this is still part of America. And in America, you can’t just vote and violate peoples constitutional rights,” said Nash.

This ordinance would effectively ban citizens from talking about the city at the dinner table, boy scout meetings, and book clubs. In fact, the ordinance is so Orwellian that the interview that the local Fox affiliate did with the mayor would actually be considered illegal under the proposed city ordinance.

A prominent lawyer looked over the ordinance and immediately deemed it unconstitutional.

Spokane Conservative Examiner

John DiPippa, Dean of the Law School at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, expressed disbelief when he first read the proposed law.

“The truth is the city of Gould doesn’t have the authority to tell anyone that they have no right to petition them, no right to speak and no right to exist in their city,” DiPippa told Fox16.

If the precedent is set in Gould, Arkansas it is only a matter of time before it is proposed in a town near you.

If the city council of this town actually believes that they can legally stop citizens from talking about city issues in the privacy of their own home they have another thing coming. This is America not Nazi Germany.

VIDEO HERE: [ame=http://youtu.be/5VP6TMd5e_o]‪Town Moves To Ban Free Speech in Private Homes, Group Meetings‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

2. lhalfcent

lhalfcent Supporting Member

wow. what is going on in our country??

3. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

Time to bring your guns and ammunition to Arkansas. SERIOUS!!

4. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Speechless. Just plain, freakin' speechless.:eek:

5. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

What? Did the city council leave their brains at home? This is America! Would not surprise me to see all council members run out of town, knowing the people of Arkansa like I do.

6. neldarez

neldarez Supporting Member

What!! What can you even say to this..........I re read it 2xs to make sure I read it right...........God help us........... Is it the water? :nuts:

7. CVORNurse

CVORNurse Well-Known Member

Here is a link with further information. Basically, a citizens group formed, trying to help out the city, even had a fundraiser and raised over ten thousand dollars to help keep the IRS from seizing city property for unpaid back taxes. For some reason the city council has taken a "strong" dislike to this group. They are going so far as to cut off electricity and change the locks on a building donated by the bank as a community center in an effort to keep this group from meeting in town.

Gould Council bans citizens group | Arkansas Blog

Interesting read, especially for me, I lived up the road in Grady when I was a newly wed 20 years ago

8. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Hmmm....interesting. Wonder what the Gould city council has to hide? And why they'd fight so hard and so hatefully against that group raising money to help the town?

Just mind-boggling that they'd think they could ban talk about it. *shakes head*

9. CVORNurse

CVORNurse Well-Known Member

Really sad. This is in the delta region of Arkansas, we are talking dirt poor. Lots of african american, although there are many poor whites in this area also. Many many on welfare. People living in houses without running water, heat or a/c in many instances. If they have a job, it is probably laborer on a farm, or else hey have to drive half an hour or better to get to the paper mill in Pine Bluff. Or else drive a pulp wood truck to the lumber mills.

I really wonder what the story is behind all this. If I find out more I will keep you posted.

10. Immolatus

Immolatus Just getting started. Always.

Their own power, as it were. If another group comes along and does what they apprently could not, then what use are they?

I dont think this law would stand up in any court, I swear I remember reading somewhere about "Freedom of assembly". So if me and the gf had the 2 neighbors over to discuss something, it would be against the law. Nice try. They should be thrown out on their rears for even suggesting something like this.

11. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

The same thing that's been going on for 200 years. An idiot gets and idea and another idiot supports it.

Next thing you know our government is run by idiots, the those idiots get ideas and more idiots support them.

It's a never ending cycle of dumb.

12. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

"our country" is dead and has been since 1996.we're just waiting for everyone to realize its gone and start over.