Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This story is actually from late last year but I never heard about it before:

Alabama Town

A small city of 28,000 knew their pension plan was running out of money but they did nothing about it. They just stopped paying people. To me, this is just the first of many defaults around the country as the economy gets worse. A lot of cities and states have tremendous unfunded pension plan liabilities.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Yet they keep the welfare checks coming in right on time every month.While the men run around like roosters in a hen yard knocking up more to feed.We need to build special prisons for those who produce kids but can't feed em.
If these are union state workers,they can ll starve far as I care.They have blackmailed this nation enough with their rich lobbys and lawyers..

·
803 Posts

Alabama Town

A small city of 28,000 knew their pension plan was running out of money but they did nothing about it. They just stopped paying people. To me, this is just the first of many defaults around the country as the economy gets worse. A lot of cities and states have tremendous unfunded pension plan liabilities.
In MS, cities are required to join the state retirement fund, which is one of the best in the US. We seem to be at the bottom of the list on most stuff, but retirement systems is not one of them.

Maybe it's still good because we die so young in MS.....

Jimmy

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Maybe it's still good because we die so young in MS.....

Jimmy
ding ding ding winner winner chicken dinner!

the average life expectancy of a US citizen when SS was started (1935) was 57 for men & 61 for women (all humans) and only 47 for black males and 49 for black females! :eek:

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
ding ding ding winner winner chicken dinner!

the average life expectancy of a US citizen when SS was started (1935) was 57 for men & 61 for women (all humans) and only 47 for black males and 49 for black females! :eek:
30 years ago when I lived in Atlanta every moring 'The Today Show'celebrated another Atlanta centuriens birthday.Not to speak of all the old people I knew who were born in the early 1900s or late 1800s.Maybe that poll is not accounting for the population explosion.I don't believe everything these liars tell us,matter of fact I don't believe much anyone says anymore.:(

·
Banned
48 Posts
Yet they keep the welfare checks coming in right on time every month.While the men run around like roosters in a hen yard knocking up more to feed.We need to build special prisons for those who produce kids but can't feed em.
If these are union state workers,they can ll starve far as I care.They have blackmailed this nation enough with their rich lobbys and lawyers..
I'm union so guess that makes my $9.00 per hour pay doom me to starvation... Granted that there has been some abuse but then workers have been abused as well. At least we get a small amount of protection from crappy management although I can't afford insurance nor the luxury of sitting home propagating children. I have children and have paid all their way to college with hard work. Were not state so maybe thats ok then... :dunno:

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
I'm union so guess that makes my $9.00 per hour pay doom me to starvation... Granted that there has been some abuse but then workers have been abused as well. At least we get a small amount of protection from crappy management although I can't afford insurance nor the luxury of sitting home propagating children. I have children and have paid all their way to college with hard work. Were not state so maybe thats ok then... :dunno:
Never heard of a union member making just $9 an hr.And o I don't really want anyone to strve,just venting .But unions have not helped american workers for 50 years.What they have doen is make deals with big business and chase america jobs out of the nation.

Also I was union in the late 60s,I worked online at GM,one of first women to do so at that plant in Lakewood,then moved to Doraville before I quit beause of rep and foreman teaming'pun inteneded'up to make my life misrable.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
my guess would be the AFCL (if not, please correct me), right? they are the BIGGEST perpetrators of fraud towards THEIR OWN MEMBERS

$9/hr with NO benefits?... and HOW much are dues?... sorry, that's NOT 'protection', that's EXPLOITATION! you could make more mowing grass (a LOT more) for cash... Nothing against you, but I can't empathize with your need to defend such an organization that has treated you like that.

·
Beginner's Mind
230 Posts

Alabama Town

Unbelievable betrayal.

·
Banned
48 Posts
my guess would be the AFCL (if not, please correct me), right? they are the BIGGEST perpetrators of fraud towards THEIR OWN MEMBERS

$9/hr with NO benefits?... and HOW much are dues?... sorry, that's NOT 'protection', that's EXPLOITATION! you could make more mowing grass (a LOT more) for cash... Nothing against you, but I can't empathize with your need to defend such an organization that has treated you like that.
The union does well usually and the dues are actually quite fair. The problems are the workers and their attitudes. The union is only 3 years old but works hard to get most of the language into contracts that protect the workers. It is an ongoing process and I don't agree with everything unions do as in any large group, political, lobbyists, private interest, etc there will be corruption. We typically only see a majority of members when the SHTF. Thats the problem in a nutshell and due to that fact the company does not view the union as any threat. I have worked for companies without unions and done well and have been treated as an equal. I have worked for union companies that pay well, treat people well, and generally look out for employees. Then I have worked for both union and non union that are crappy employers. My field here in this area is a low paid field and yet we care for those that require a great deal of attention, strong medications, and sometimes need to be physically restrained to prevent injury to themselves or others. In this case the union is attempting to change things for the better but I doubt things will improve if attitudes don't. Sure, I can make more money elsewhere and will but I wanted to give something back to the community and I do enjoy most of the job. The fact that the word union appears in a sentence does NOT always mean massive wages and perks. As far as benefits, its 80%/20% but making so little that 20% is a big deal.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
IMHO, the bottom line with unions is this:

If the union is strong, non-competitiveness and failure is inevitable. Can you say "auto industry?" The exception is, of course, guberment workers -- their bosses just raise our taxes. A strong union is akin to a bunch of kids owning a candy store. Things are really sweet at the store until there's nothing left (no profit margin).

If the union is weak workers don't get their percieved protection, but they still have to pay the dues. The only party to benefit is the union.

For you pro-union folks out there, just ask yourself this -- honestly. Let's suppose you start your own business and hire, say, a dozen people. Are YOU going to call up a union and invite them into your business so they can dictate to you how you have to run it?:nuts:

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
While I am gainst unions in general for all kinds of reasons, if the workers had no rights and no way to gain any, then the bosses hold all of the power, and the worker gets screwed. In my eyes (I'll play the academic here, disassociated with reality) if management was screwing the workers, they would just quit. In theory, this leaves the biz with no workers, and it folds.

The reality is that most people cannot 'just quit'/move/find another job, especially today.
I have always held the belief that unions are great if youre in em, but horrible for everyone else.
Take the UAW. Great job if you got it. Not so great if youre buying a car.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts

Alabama Town

And it's spreading.

Central Falls, R.I.'s motto is "city with a bright future," but now its tomorrows are not only bleak but could be nonexistent.
The city's 141 retired firefighters and police officers were asked at a meeting Tuesday night to voluntarily give up as much as half of their pensions. It's called the "big ask," and with the library and community center already shut down, the city is running out of options to fix its dire financial prospects.

"It came as a shock yesterday [Tuesday] when it was presented to the pensioners," said William Zachary Malinowski, who has reported for the Providence Journal for 26 years. "If they don't give up a good chunk, they may end up with nothing."

The city faces $80 million in unfunded pensions and benefit programs, and a $5 million to $6 million deficit that shows no sign of decreasing in the coming years.

Read the rest here.
A Rhode Island City Turns to Pensioners to Avoid Bankruptcy - ABC News

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
"Making matters worse, workers here didn't participate in Social Security, so there are no other benefits to fall back on."
Ouch.

I wonder how those people would have fared if they had put the 7% away themselves? Obviously better than this proposed option, but would they have been better off than the 40k/yr for the rest of their lives? Not to mention the assumed health care benefits?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts