Christmas Trees

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by gypsysue, Nov 19, 2010.

1. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Every year I hear people debating a 'real' Christmas tree or an artificial tree. Here's something for you to think about.

In NW Montana, where I live, there are several Christmas tree farms. I've also seen them in the midwest. These trees are planted by the landowner for the purpose of one day being Christmas trees. During the roughly 4 to 7 years it takes to grow to a sellable size, the trees do their "tree thing" of helping with the atmosphere and whatever else several acres of little trees do. These are trees that never would have been planted in the first place if not for a market for live Christmas trees.

Live Christmas wreaths are another American product made out of what would normally be a waste product. The boughts to make the wreaths are snipped off the last 12" to 18" of fir branches, usually at logging sites, from the branches that are trimmed off the trees. The unused limbs are piled and burned. The boughs that were cut off are sold to wreath makers. Around here, that's a seasonal thing a lot of people do, like picking berries or hunting for mushrooms. We can either trim our own trees on our property or go to any of a number of logging sites, prune the branch ends and pile them in our truck, and sell them to wreath makers for enough to pay the half of our property taxes due in the end of November, and have some left to buy Christmas presents. Many people are out of work, and they "do boughs" for enough money to have a nice holiday season.

Your question is this:

Do you buy a US-produced live Christmas tree, grown for only that reason, and support a US industry, and also have a natural product in your home with a lovely scent (unless you're allergic to pine!:eek: )*

Or do you have the mistaken notion that you're "saving a tree" by buying an artifiical one made out of petroleum-based products and probably by a company in China? :scratch

Same thing for live vs. artificial wreaths.

:dunno:

*applicable to U.S. residents only! lol Unless someone in Austrailia or Belgum or any other place wants us to mail them a Christmas tree!

2. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

We go cut our own tree ever year. Comes in the front door, does it's job an goes out ta be recycled.

I don't have ta store the thing an they try ta make it look like a tree the next year.

Plus the old boy that groes em sure does like my bbq!:D

3. Concerned_ Citizen

Concerned_ Citizen Well-Known Member

So last year for xmas we where a sizable family living in an 800 sq ft house.....Myself, My wife, our Daughter, and our dog.....Also a friend of ours, her newborn, and her cat........

No room for a tree....So....My amazing and brilliant wife came up with the idea of getting a live tree and setting it up in the front yard.....we strung cranberries and popcorn....also we bought ears of corn, covered them in Molasses, and rolled bird seed on them....what a treat! Our daughter, and the rest of us, really enjoyed watching all the birds, squirrels, and even deer eat off of our tree! I HIGHLY recommend trying this....

4. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

I cant stand fake trees.

YES REAL TREE

5. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Yay! I'm glad so many of you use live trees! The look and smell so nice!

We cut a tree on our property each year, trying to pick one that's growing too close to other small trees, sort of like thinning out the woods, one tree a year!

ConcernedCitizen, I love what you and your family did with your tree! That's cool!

6. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

:(Your tree had a name and hidding amid that sawing sound was it's cry of pain.:(

Hehehehehehehehehe!

Real trees can be nice, fake trees are nice.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  7. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

When you by a local tree or one from a different part of the state (or states) ... you are helping more than the farmers. You also help people 'like my husband' ;) that sells the parts for all the new Christmas tree balers. You are also helping a lot of people that started working on the tree farms last week... All to bring you that perfect tree.

So A real tree here.

Concerned_ Citizen - Love it!:2thumb:

8. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

FAKE TREE?! :gaah::gaah::gaah:

Once we're done with it, the goats get it. When they're done with it, it goes through the chipper and becomes mulch for the garden and by next summer it will have contributed to the food on our table. :)

9. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Every year we buy a live tree and plant in the yard afterwards. Have a few growing now, it's like Xmas all year everytime I look at them.

10. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I bought a fake Christmas tree almost 20 years ago, decorated it once and come the middle of December, I bring it out of storage, put it into the middle of my dining room table, run the power to the lights and call it done.

Ya, in my tiny little 800sq ft house, there isn't room for a "real" tree, so, I have made-do with a little 2-footer. Some day, I might start doing the real-tree thing, but, I have to get out of this shoe-box-sized house first.

11. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

Our family has done this every year since... before I was born! ;) I recommend doing the same thing to everybody that has the yard space, even if you don't have enough yard, a tree is a nice gift for somebody.

P.S. dig the hole you want to put it in before the ground freezes :eek: :D

12. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!
    pulls them deer right in for a close shot !!!! ............................. just joking :D

13. jnrdesertrats

jnrdesertrats Noob

Same here. We have orund 20 or so.:2thumb:

14. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

When we bought our house in November of 1987, we found an artificial tree in the attic. We used that until 2004. That was when a friend bought a new artificial tree and gave us their old one. (It came at just the right time, our old one was dropping more needles then a dried out real one!) We have never "bought" a tree!!!

15. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

our earliest replanted x-mas trees are over 60' tall :eek:

16. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

While I do go and cut a few boughs from our and my mothers trees for outside decorations, it is fake tree inside for me--allergies and the mess finally got me and I bought a hugely expensive German made artificial tree.--thing looks real but doesn't drop any bugs/needles/chipmunks in the carpet!;):D
    You do tend to reminisce about the tinkle of pine needles hitting the ornaments on their way down to the carpet when you walk tho!