christians and preparing...

Discussion in 'Religion' started by MaryV, Jul 31, 2011.

1. MaryV

MaryV Well-Known Member

I am a christian and I try to prep. I store food water and other supplies, because I believe God warned me to. I believe God is warning all of us and that is why we are here on this site and why we feel the urge to store food.
    but I am very frustrated in trying to convince other christian friends of mine.
    I come up against this brick wall of belief that they think if they store food it means they arent trusting God to take care of them. No matter what I say to my friends they dont get it. yesterday a friend said to me, when I suggested she begin putting food in store, "are you going to feed me when the famine comes?" I knew that her question was deliberately to suggest that I was being selfish taking care of myself and to be a "good christian" I should be willing to feed her and anyone else who is hungry at that time.
    This is the attitude i come up against every time with these friends.
    I said to her "I will feed anyone God tells me to feed".
    I didnt tell her, it likely wont be you, since I have tried and tried to warn you and you have refused to listen.
    I will NOT feed her in famine. She has been warned again and again.
    How can we break through this thinking that storing food means we dont trust God?
    I dont put my trust in food, my trust is in God. but if God is warning us famine is coming, surely He doesnt have to spell it out to us to GET FOOD STORED!
    Now I have friends who know i have food, who arent storing food for themselves, and who flat out state that they are coming to my house when SHTF. they think it wont happen, they think they are joking around and that its funny. But when that time comes, and IT IS COMING, they are going to show up here wanting food. and I am not giving it to them.
    God is saying Hurry UP! I have warned and warned, HURRY UP!
    there are many who are unable to store up food. I understand that and so does God. But most people can put away oatmeal and rice and some canned veggies.
    anyway I am ranting now, frustrated and wanting to convince them and unable to do so.

2. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

Stop mentioning it and read the verse where the deciple tells them if they do not work,they don't eat'forgot where it is'.
    Our friends,inlaws outlaws and all the rest say the same thing,they are comign to -----ville if anything happens.Well guess what ,something happened and now we are starting all over again,because we had to use what we had because of finacial problems due to unsuppected maintainence,greenhouse,etc..

I tell em now they are welcome to come long as they don't mind waiting for their 'new' garden to produce food before they starve.
    :eek:and licking water off leaves if they don't have rain or water.
    YOUR NOT YOUR BROTHERS KEEPER,tell them this ,they are not being very christian like anyway,imo,expectign you to provide for them.proverbs is full of verses you could give to them.

3. MattM

MattM New Member

I think people were probably beating down the door to the Ark after the floodwaters started rising. By then it was too late. If people will not listen that is their problem. God does not ask us to prepare and provide for others stupidity. Noah put his preps in order because God told him to long before trouble came. He was able to provide for his family because he was faithful to what God told him to do. If you are able to give out of abundance when the hard times come, that will be great. If not, you cannot put your family at risk.

4. MaryV

MaryV Well-Known Member

thanks, your replies calmed me down lol. and you gave me some scriptures to use.
    but I think I will just stop trying to convince them.
    I just dont get how so many people can be so blind to what is happening around us in this world!

5. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Hi MaryV....how strange you posted this today!! At the church dh and I visited today( I fired the last hypocrites) I know God was speaking to me.
    I tried to get the last church on board--no go--they just laughed at me and most stared..:eek: with nothing to say.:rolleyes:
    We have stored 450 lbs of rice...so I took 3 buckets and converted them to 1 gallon freezer bags and put them in a tote. (held 23 bags)
    dh asked what I was doing and I told him God spoke to me through the pastor today and handed him a bag...dh asked what he wanted me to do with it...I said nothing, you're at my door with kids to feed...
    And he said, oh!!and smiled!!;)

I know, the OPSEC thing..I'll look for God's guidance when the SHTF...maybe the family I help feed will help us guard our provisions???:congrat:

6. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Free to use this one..
    Don't ask God to guide your footsteps if you ain't gonna use your feet!!

And II Thessalonians 3:10...for even when we were with you, we gave you this rule:
    "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

Is your friend calling Noah a man without faith?
    He built an ark for that flood...hmmmmm.

Failing to prepare on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part!!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  7. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

(Mat 25:1-9 NIV) "At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. {2} Five of them were foolish and five were wise. {3} The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them. {4} The wise, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. {5} The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep. {6} "At midnight the cry rang out: 'Here's the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!' {7} "Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps. {8} The foolish ones said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.' {9} "'No,' they replied, 'there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.'

8. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

I feel that God has been telling me to prep too. A month ago I felt like I didn't have enough cereal so I bought more of that. We have around 200 boxes now and many of them are the Kellogg's family size boxes. Then I felt like we didn't have enough one pound canned hams. We had about 25 then. Now we have 52. Enough to have one a week for year. Recently an idea came to me like it was from God. I thought of making a toilet using a 5 gallon bucket with a cover, garbage bags to line it with, kitty litter to contain the smell, and a toilet seat to put over it. I wasn't even thinking about using something like that. I was thinking about how we couldn't possibly keep enough water to have flush toilets and that idea came to me. I'm concerned too that so few Christians are prepping. There isn't anybody on Christian radio talking about it and they should be. I feel like things will be happening soon. I still buy 24 one-gallon water jugs each week day. We stack them using plywood and cinder blocks. I expect to have about 2000 gallons of water for four people. There's a good chance we'll have a fifth person too. But you can't take in everybody.

9. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

People of that mentality terrify me; this is the same mentality of the people who say that they trust in the government to provide for them, they are simply transferring their co-dependence to another power higher than themselves.

These are people who are afraid to take responsibility for themselves and their own actions, their own shortcomings, etcetera. It is far easier to say, "I trust in ______ to provide for me." That blank could be God, the government, a parent... it doesn't matter. The worst part is that they try to make themselves feel better by attempting to make you feel bad for your own personal responsibility. They say things like, "If only your faith were as strong as mine", "I trust my government to take care of me, they know what is best for me", or "My parents love me more than your's". It's sad, really.

Continue on your path, in what you know is correct. Don't let another's faults hold you back.

10. weedygarden

weedygarden Well-Known Member

Like others, I say storing anything is better than storing nothing.

Are the one-gallon jugs away from light so they will last longer. I have had many spring leaks. I hate when that happens!

BillS, did you know you can purchase special toilet seats that are made to fit 5 gallon buckets? I think that if I needed to, I could set up the toilet in my shed, kind of like an outhouse, but without the big stinking hole in the ground.

I have been prepping and planning, yet I do not have 25 hams, or spam or tuna. I have a few and will continue working in this direction. I have been unemployed for a while, but am starting a new job now. I want to have much more stored, but have been living as frugally as possible. The unemployment has been good in that it has helped me to realize how much or little I consume of certain items. I use much more oil than I thought. I personally use 1 roll of tp a week.

I would like to have a bunch of chili without beans, hams, spam, tuna, clams, canned beef, canned chicken and peanut butter. I have a little of each, but not enough to have one a week for a year.

My question, BillS, is one I've asked often on this forum, what will you do after a year is up? When I ask that, I am not trying to pretend that I am all set for 25 years, which would ultimately be my goal. I have more than a year's worth of somethings, much less of others.

If your family eats boxed cereal, you are well stocked. I absolutely would never have thought to store boxed cereal, let alone that much. Boxed cereal is one of the highly processed foods and I in general am working toward avoiding highly processed anything. I don't eat boxed cereal, but I do have oatmeal, rice, powdered milk, powdered eggs and wheat stored. For breakfast, I can make granola, muesli, oatmeal, oatmeal bread, rice cereal, wheat bread: toast with peanut butter and jelly, french toast, grilled cheese, cream of wheat. I really like eggs for breakfast, but in a SHTF situation, I am not counting on them.

Maybe having cereal for breakfast will help prevent fatique of eating just a few things over and over. If you have children, they may tend to like to eat cereal. My niece told me that she ate alot of cereal in college. Maybe I will get some and store it to help with apetite fatigue.

Christians and preparing: I think of Noah and the ark. The ark wouldn't have held nearly any of the people who were left to drown. The ark was a safe place for Noah to have his family, maybe like a bomb/nuclear shelter would be today. He wasn't a Christian, because Christ hadn't lived yet, but he was a man of God. He was a wise man who listened to God and prepared. People laughed at him and made fun of him. He just kept working on the ark.

Let's all keep working on our "arks", but not advertising to the foolish who think we will need to take care of them. If you make a suggestion to someone and they blow you off, do not take offense and do not brag about what you've got. It will make you vulnerable. Noah took care of who he needed to take care of, his family. And he built them a shelter from the storm. I need a better shelter.

11. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

Here are some links to show people who don't believe in prepping:

AMERICA'S CREDIT CARD SHUT OFF!

American APOCALYPSE | P509-4437104

Newsmax's Aftershock Survival Summit

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI-BIVWlc7A]‪Porter Stansberry Research - The End of America‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N8gJSMoOJc]‪The Day the Dollar Died‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhXnIVvFQSE]‪John Williams talks with Jim Puplava about the road to hyperinflation 2014‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

I regularly search Google and Youtube using the terms "economic collapse", "dollar collapse" and "hyperinflation".

Hyperinflation is coming. The Federal Reserve is printing trillions in bogus dollars to pay off Treasury bills when they come due, to provide money to the government that it can't borrow, and to stimulate the economy. In time we will have hyperinflation like Germany did in the 1920s. That's 100% guaranteed because the US has trillion dollar deficits every year as far ahead as the eye can see. Hyperinflation means that we'll see prices double in a year, then eventually it will only take a month, and eventually it'll only take a day.

The dollar is the world's reserve currency. OPEC sells oil only in dollars. That forces every country that buys oil from them to buy dollars on the world market and use them to buy oil. The dollar is losing value against other currencies and against gold and other commodities. There's already been talk of replacing the dollar with a basket of currencies. The day the dollar is no longer the world's reserve currency it's feared that the dollar would lose 90% of it's value in a very short time. Gasoline would cost 10 times as much as it does today along with everything we import and possibly everything we buy in the store.

The third major problem has to do with Greece and the other European countries like Italy, Ireland, Portugal, and Spain. All are in deep financial trouble. Greece will default. It's only a matter of time. It's thought that when Greece defaults it will cause a banking crisis 10 times larger than the previous banking crisis in 2008.

People need to stock up on everything they'll need for at least a year. That includes food, water, firewood or kerosene, a fireplace, wood stove, or kerosene stoves and heaters, guns, ammo, etc. Expect the federal government to go bankrupt, along with every state, county, and city government. There will be no police, no firefighters, no municipal water, or garbage pickup. I fully expect the U.S. to experience mass starvation and incredible levels of violence. I fully expect 90% or more of U.S. citizens to die before everything is back under control, assuming it ever is. All that is why I prep.

12. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

I didn't know that you could buy toilet seats like that. Thanks for letting me know.

I have my gallon water jugs stored in the basement where it's cooler and where they don't get any direct sunlight. I've heard that you can't store them for more than two years without the jugs starting to leak. I think we're going to see an economic collapse before then.

I don't know what I'll do after the year is up. I expect that during the collapse there will be a one-world government that will form and the Rapture will take place before the Anti-Christ is revealed. I hope that happens before millions of Christians starve to death. I live in a condo. I don't have any place I could grow my own crops. I don't have any land anywhere.

I like cereal. I don't mind processed foods. I thought of dry cereal at first because I wanted to get things I could eat right out of the box. So we got mostly Honey Nut Cheerios, Cheerios, Corn Pops, Frosted Flakes, Fruit Loops, Apple Jacks, and Honey Smacks. The only kid we have is my wife's son and he's 21. All three of us like dry cereal like that. I like Raisin Bran and Grape Nuts but I can't eat either of those dry or with just water.

We also got 100 cans each of Tomato Soup, Chicken Noodle Soup, and Split Pea with Ham Soup.

I've done a lot of my prepping using my credit card. I figure that it's better to have the food now and worry about the debt later. If the economy starts to get really bad there may not be a lot of time for further prepping. Or supplies might cost so much you can't afford them.

We borrowed from my wife's 401 to buy gold. I also bought some "junk silver" coins. Silver has been going up in value. It's also thought that old coins that are 90% silver could be used as an alternative currency during hyperinflation.

The important thing about gold and silver is if food gets expensive the silver and gold will get more valuable. So in theory if you have $5000 today in gold, you'll be able to gradually sell it and use the money to buy groceries no matter how expensive they get.

13. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

weedygarden..if you have an Aldi's, the tuna is 55 cents still...and Sam's club is .72 cents.
    I will not give 1.00 for tuna, not yet!!!:gaah:

Dh and I bought spam, and little hams before the price almost doubled.

Canned chicken--small or big can---in Ky hasn't waivered from 1.00 and 2.00...strange???

14. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

Some wise sayings & biblical principles come to mind: "those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still", "you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink", "don't cast your pearls before swine", etc. You do what you feel to do & let them tend to their own business. When you keep nagging grown folks to do something they frequently dig their heels in even further. You have said your peace (repeatedly), now leave it alone. It is our job to plant the seeds, not to make them grow. God's job is to make them grow & we can get into trouble when we try to do His job. Leave it alone, not another syllable. Really. That's my 2 cents (not sure it's worth that). ;)

15. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

Any person who would SUGGEST that they would come to MY house and eat... Translation: Come to my house and STEAL the food from out of the mouths of my BABIES are NOT going to be welcome! My neighbor (Jokingly) said that his 'emergency food plan' was to come take it from my garden! I (somewhat jokingly) reminded him that I also stocked up on ammo! And I adore my neighbors! (He was repeating what be both heard someone else (jokingly) say was their 'emergency food plan').
    A man don't work he don't eat. God instructed us to take care of the widows and orphans...not the freeloaders!

16. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

That's exactly what I was going to say.

I have a friend who always mocks me for any preparedness or self-sufficiency. Then she'll say things like, "I know Jesus loves me, don't you believe Jesus loves you, too?" Um, yeah, but what does that have to do with prepping??? I think she actually believes I'm insulting Jesus by trying to be self-sufficient. Well, I'm confident that Jesus loves my kids, too, but when one of them is injured I take them to a doctor - I don't insist that there is no need for medical treatment because Jesus loves them.

I think ts brings up an excellent point about planting seeds. You never know what seeds will take root, and there's a good chance you won't be there to see it. But that doesn't mean you haven't done your part. ;)

17. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

I've often thought that the most dangerous people when the SHTF are my family, neighbors, and friends. Those are the people that might think I owe them something and hungry people are dangerous people. I wrote a letter to my dad (we're not on speaking terms). I told him what I thought was going on with the economy and advised him to start prepping. Most likely my sisters and their families know I'm prepping but I doubt that any of them are prepping (I'm not on speaking terms when them either).

18. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

19. weedygarden

weedygarden Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of narcissists in my family. My brother's main form of entertainment is to make fun of people and to put them down. He delights in upsetting people. I wish I had a wonderful close knit family. It isn't in the cards.

I think that there is a reason for many things like this, and it is part of a bigger picture yet to be revealed. When bad things happen, I wonder what the positive part of it is to come.

Relative to family, my brother, who says he is perfect (an example of his narcissism), is not a prepper. When TSHTF, these people won't come asking for help. They are so full of pride. I consider that the blessing in the crap in my supposed dysfunctional family.