choosing a new (first) chain saw

Discussion in 'Equipment & Survival Kits' started by Dakine, Mar 19, 2014.

1. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

What husky model were you looking at? Do you cut alot of wood? What size bar you like to run? You cut alot on the pile or mostly cutting down trees?

2. sewingcreations15

sewingcreations15 Hard working Aussie

We run with 2 chainsaws a Stihl 251 for smaller stuff and a 661 for larger stuff and find them both good. We cut a lot of firewood here as we are on total wood heating in the winter.

3. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

Stihl makes a good saw. They jave very good low end grunt. I love the older ones though. The new ones with the new fuel injection cost way to much to fix, along with the fact you need a laptop to tune the carb, no thanks. I have also heard alot of the pros complaining about the new stihls. Right now in my area old tech stihls are going for as much as the new ones because the loggers and such don't want the new headaches.

4. phideaux

phideaux Dogs breath

I got rid of my Stihl 029 Farmboss , because they wiggled out of a warranty repair, tried saying it was my fault.:mad:

I've never had to use my Echo warranty in 15 years.:D

Jim

obg12, terri9630 and RedBeard like this.
  5. terri9630

terri9630 Internet Princess

What do y'all think of the Husqvarna?

obg12 likes this.
  6. bountyhunter26

bountyhunter26 Well-Known Member

Husky is a good saw. I still use a 3400 POULAN that I have had for 20 years. It still cranks and runs and cuts so I don't complain.

obg12, Meerkat and RedBeard like this.
  7. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

I have a 372 and a couple of 2100 huskys, I want a solid pro saw that can survive log building, cutting lateral groves works a saw for a long time, some guys get an extra barrel gasket put in to lower the compression a bit.

obg12 and RedBeard like this.
  8. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

Husky makes a great saw. Most people who don't like them are used to the low end power of a stihl. Husky is a high end rpm saw. They cut best when screaming. Im rebuilding a 372xp right now that has over 3000 cord on it. Yes that isn't a typo 3000 cord. It's getting a husky factory big bore kit. Can't wait!

obg12 and terri9630 like this.
  9. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

Barrel gasket? Do you mean cylinder base gasket? Why on earth would you want to lower the compression? Besides making it easier to start that only takes power away. Then you would have to port match.

obg12 likes this.
  10. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

Oh and fyi johnsered is a husky! Both mind you are owned by Electrolux the vacuum cleaner company.

obg12 likes this.
  11. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

Those old green poulans were great!

obg12 likes this.
  12. Tirediron

When making a 30 foot lateral cut the chamber gets pretty hot, the port locations don't change, they are fixed to the cylinder.
    I just run a bit fatter mixture and ad a bit more oil and don't lean on the saw doing lateral cuts.
    Big bore kits are fun, we had some big bore 2100s those things had serious power, but no vibration damping in the handle mounts.

obg12 and RedBeard like this.
  13. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

Ya that can get hot! So if you change the base gasket by adding another you are in turn changing the port timing, ie the location as to where the piston engages the port. My sleds and jetskis are all port matched and tuned by the base gasket. I also, even on saws port match the scavenge ports. I really wish chain saws didn't make the jug and head one piece. Then i could really make them scream. .

obg12 likes this.
  14. crabapple

crabapple I sold my soul to the internet

I have a co-worker who has been cutting & selling firewood for over 30 years.
    He has 7 different chainsaws, all of them run.
    His best saw is a Jonsered, 18" bar.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  15. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

Depending on the year it is that red is actually a husky. I love the old red model 70s. Mean saws!

obg12 and bugoutbob like this.
  16. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

I had an Echo back in the mid 1970's, bought it to log beetle killed pine in the mountains of Colorado, that saw had a lot of power, only thing is, it didn't like to run out of fuel, most of the time I couldn't get it to start after re-fueling. I've been using Huskies ever since and yes, they like to run best at high RPM, I had been told by a neighbor that Sthil saws had much better low end power, in fact most logging here in Southern Oregon is done with Sthil saws with Husky being next.

obg12, bugoutbob and RedBeard like this.
  17. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

What model echo?

obg12 likes this.
  18. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

Eveyone is dropping sthil because of the new technology. The new ones get hooked to a laptop for tuning. They suck. Old ones are big money around here. I buy them used and abused rebuilt them and get about the same money they sold new for. So if my only options are sthil and husky, i prefer husky for cutting trees down due to high rpm horse power (fast cut) and a sthil for cutting on the pile, ie ground because you can drop the saw and the lowend torque will turn right threw it. My dad has an old 044 mag sthil that is an animal on the pile. Takes at least a 372 husky to even try to keep up. But a 372 will cut circles around a sthil when it comes time to fell. Echo in my book gives you the best of both. Good fast saw to cut it down and a lot of low end to chop it up.

obg12, Caribou and bugoutbob like this.
  19. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

330 was a good little saw, but personally if i wouldn't have sold you the 330. Being a pro tree guy i would have sold you the 360. The one problem i have found with echo is dealers don't sell the right saw to the right person. Most of these dealers don't know their product that well or the people they are selling to. I would always ask questions so i knew what they were doing so i could sell them the proper tool. To bad you had a bad experience with echo because they do make a great product. Just out of wonder what did you use for 2 stroke mix in them? Im rather surprised you burned that 330 up so fast. Had it been back to have the carb adjusted? Echo warranty covers carb tuning and most likely no one told tou the second it starts a tiny bit hard to bring it in and have it tuned. As a 2 stroke engine breaks in the pressure in the case will change and that will change the required tuning. If it is a two stroke and it is starting hard bring it in or most likely it is lean on the tuning and can cause damage or even worse. But im probably preaching to the quire here.

obg12 and Caribou like this.
  20. Tirediron

Just bought my son a Echo CS590 he likes it so far .I like having my Husky 372 XP back
    The next smaller Echos we looked at are far more homeowner's saws

obg12, Caribou and RedBeard like this.