Chocolate!

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by pixieduster, Apr 1, 2012.

1. pixieduster

pixieduster Well-Known Member

Been thinking about chocolate lately. Dark chocolate is high in antioxidants. If all I have is instant coffee, add a peice of chocolate for sweetness and a boost of energy. Any other ideas for Survival Chocolate?

2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I have 10-12 dark chocolate bars vacuum sealed. Been in there going on 2 years now. At the 1 year mark, I took one out and it looked and tasted like I just brought it home from the store. I keep telling myself to pack up some more but haven't done it yet. :rolleyes:

For sweetener though, I'll take honey. :)

3. pixieduster

pixieduster Well-Known Member

Oh yes, honey is a fav. Local guy makes it few miles from me and stocking up on that. I remember seeing films with all the chocolate that was dropped with food rations during WWII. Why chocolate? That's what made me think about the subject.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2012
  4. AkChuck

AkChuck New Member

:crossfinger:Keep a good stock for your wife it may save your life:crossfinger:

5. Kellog

Kellog Well-Known Member

Uncle Joe? Can I be your friend?
    Dark chocolate is definitely my friend and any friend of dark chocolate is a friend of mine....:D

6. Freyadog

Freyadog Member

Remember Easter is right around the corner so stock up after. I have Christmas chocolate, Valentines Day Chocolate and here comes Easter. You don't want to be around me without my chocolate fix.

7. TimB

TimB Member

You sound exactly like my wife. :eek: You don't want to try and come between her and chocolate either. ;) :D

Tim

8. valannb22

valannb22 Well-Known Member

Good idea! Dark chocolate is my favorite :)

9. Kellog

Kellog Well-Known Member

Uh oh....Uncle Joe has definitely let the OPSEC out of the bag and is fixin' to have a bunch of chocolate crazed women showing up at his bunker when the SHTF! :D

10. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

My sister, who lives about an hour from me, has a beekeeper right down the road. In 2010 I bought a 5 gallon bucket from him; 63.5lbs. MMMMMM

Just don't tell AuntJoe! :sssh:

11. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Just remember the darker the chocolate the better it will store.. butter fats in milk chocolate can go rancid.. I learned that the hard way.. never leave a hershy bar in the car glove box in baggies for too long.. sure it was melty and rehardened but taste wise.. it was edible but just barely..
    But dark chocolate in storage lasts for a very long time it may get a white bloom on it, don't worry it is just the coco fats rising to the surface.. doesn't affect the flavor. but I do store my bakers chocolate vac packed in mason jars just too keep any cross flavors from happening..

12. neldarez

neldarez Supporting Member

I love this post..........I love Uncle Joe..............lol...........I love dark chocolate:melikey:

mdprepper likes this.