Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found the biggest chicken mushroom of my life - will easily fill up a wheelbarrow.:2thumb: In the past, we ate them right away. Anyone have any tips on the best way to preserve? Please hurry and post before they get all hard and useless.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just found the biggest chicken mushroom of my life - will easily fill up a wheelbarrow.:2thumb: In the past, we ate them right away. Anyone have any tips on the best way to preserve? Please hurry and post before they get all hard and useless.
I'd like to see pictures! I want to learn what mushrooms can be foraged around here, but its hard to tell which are which using a book that has drawings instead of pictures!

I had mushrooms growing in my sptrawberry bed like crazy, dug them all out as I didn't know if they were edible or not:dunno:...they were killing my strawberry plants, tho. If they come back, I'll post a picture of them!:surrender:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
While I haven't ate it or preserved it a couple different web sites that I go to say that the best way to preserve it is to fry in butter and then pack tightly or vac pack and freeze and eat with in 3 months for best texture and flavor.
did you find chicken of the woods or hen of the woods?
We found huge hen of the woods on property that we can harvest from but unfortunately they were too old and bug riddled But we know where to find them now and will check earlier and perhaps again this fall.. they do often bloom again in the same area.

·
Registered
308 Posts
preserving mushrooms

Mushrooms are best when used within a couple of days. With a chikcken of the woods or a hen of the woods, there is usually too much to consume without getting tired of mushroom.

The two best ways to keep mushrooms are;
1) partial dehydrating and then freezing. What you do is dry the mushrooms for 2-4 hours until MOST of the moisture is removed and then place them in the freezer until frozen solid. At that point, remove them from the freezer and put in plastic bags and vacuum seal and return to the freezer. They should be good for 3-6 months that way. With the chicken of the woods or hen of the woods, slice them into portions before dehydrating.
2) fully dehydrating and then making mushroom powder to be added to soups, stews and gravies.:2thumb:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Okay, I have to ask a dumb question. Exactly what is a chicken mushroom? That is a new one on me. :dunno:

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Oldvet, you beat me to it. I'm going to google this and I'll link to whatever I find.

*time passes*

Ok, I found this link. I bear no liability for the page's accuracy and I have no idea who this guy is. It's the first thing that popped up in google. Incidentally, today is apparently Freddy Mercury's 65th birthday.

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Mushrooms.Folder/ChickenMushroom.html

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Anyone have any tips on the best way to preserve? Please hurry and post before they get all hard and useless.
After I get sick of shrooms (perish the thought) what I do is use a food processor to grind them to a thick paste and then dehydrate them for later use in mushroom-stuffed ravioli or pizza/pasta sauce, mmm mmm good! :2thumb:

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
has anybody had any luck cultivating these?

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
I would love to be able to pick wild shrooms, and even though this one seems to be pretty distinct, I have been scared away from even attempting picking them. Everything I have read says if youre not an expert, then dont even touch em.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
I kind of agree, Immolatus. I don't care for mushrooms as a general rule but my wife loves them. Mushrooms are one thing I feel much better getting from someone who knows what they're doing rather than trying to produce/harvest myself.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I would love to be able to pick wild shrooms, and even though this one seems to be pretty distinct, I have been scared away from even attempting picking them. Everything I have read says if youre not an expert, then dont even touch em.
Chicken of the woods; Hen of the woods; Bears head; lions mane and Morels are next to impossible to get in trouble with since they have no poisonous look-alike cousins. The trick is to find a mentor who will show you what to look for and stay with what you know.

Remember, all mushrooms are edible... ONCE!:gaah:

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
Chicken of the woods; Hen of the woods; Bears head; lions mane and Morels are next to impossible to get in trouble with since they have no poisonous look-alike cousins. The trick is to find a mentor who will show you what to look for and stay with what you know.

:congrat:

I actually love shrooms, Im just afraid of picking them in the wild. Maybe I should pick up a book specifically on mushrooms.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts

My Aunt who taught me how to find certain wild mushrooms told me this

There are old mushroom hunters and bold mushroom hunters but there are no old and bold mushroom hunters! lol
I can find and trust my own skills on several mushrooms.
Morels
giant white puff balls
lions mane
Honey mushrooms
Hen of the woods..

Now I have found but not in time to harvest many others.. you timing must be good for many of them
Black trumpet
Chicken of the wood
King bolete..
The black trumpet I am always too late and they are shriveled up
the chicken of the wood tends to be really buggy
and the king bolete was also too late and buggy. but I know where they are and I keep my eyes open for them
There are a few others but they are super rare around here.

Now I do have my own crop of pearl oysters in the back yard. but this is the first year I've gotten them to fruit.
right after I took this picture and we got a few to eat(there were two other clusters) the pet bantam hen I have found them and chowed them down!:gaah: Gonna have to put a cage over them when they flush again!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
would the small white button type mushrooms that i find in my grass be good to eat. they start out looking like button mushrooms then as they grow begin to look like portabellos? :dunno:

·
785 Posts
I don't think we have these in the Pacific NW, although we do have white truffles and one called "Lobster mushroom", and am thinking this might be our version of it. We also have chantarelles....

I have wanted to go out on a hike with someone who specializes in this to gather some to preserve, as we also have a lot of toxic ones here that are look alikes, so need those expert eyes, I don't have that kind of knowledge. Though, I could lead you to many other edibles and medicinals here.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Mushroom safety

would the small white button type mushrooms that i find in my grass be good to eat. they start out looking like button mushrooms then as they grow begin to look like portabellos? :dunno:
They "could" be edible, but then again they could be a type of mushroom known as the "Death Angel", (agaric family), that has the nasty propensity to destroy your liver and seriously kill you. IF YOU DON'T ABSOLUTELY KNOW, WITHOUT THE SHADOW OF A DOUBT, THAT A MUSHROOM IS SAFE, DON'T EAT IT!:soapbox1:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts