Chicken Coop Plans

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by Battly, Oct 9, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Battly

Battly Member

Does anybody have some links to sites that include chicken coop plans? I would like to start building one out in my yard.

2. gds

gds Well-Known Member

Buy you a copy of " Mother Earth news" or look at there website. Lots of useful info.

3. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

How large does a chicken coop need to be bare minimum?

4. guyfour

guyfour Registered User

It should be around 6 feet long, 3 feet tall, 2 feet deep. You could probably find big enough wiring to just bend it all into a big square then cut a door and bend some wire for hinges and one piece of wire to hold it closed without even having to purchase wood or build a frame as long as you can bend a good large box and have some plyers to connect the sides together.

5. Ade

Ade New Member

6. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Great link. Backwoods Home is a great magazine! Always reading their articles.

7. dunappy

dunappy Well-Known Member

depends on how many chickens you plan on putting in it.

8. TrailWalker

TrailWalker Semper Fi

9. cowboy

cowboy Member

Super nice site TrailWalker :)

10. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

11. JCfans

JCfans Member

12. david

david New Member

13. guyfour

guyfour Registered User

Just make a wooden frame about 6 foot long by 4 feet high by 4 feet deep, cover it with chicken wire, fill it with straw... make sure its propped off the ground of course... and have a wooden door with a wire to close it or hook...

Put golf balls in the nests to stop snakes

14. EvilTOJ

EvilTOJ O_o

How do golf balls stop snakes? I thought golf balls are so the pullets know where to nest when they start laying eggs.

15. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

that's what I thought they were for too... maybe the snakes try to eat them & 'learn' that the shiny round white things aren't edible?... idk

16. JCfans

JCfans Member

From what I have been told if you have a problem with snakes eating your eggs you should put a golf ball in the nesting box. The snake will eat the golf ball and die because they can't pass it.

17. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

why wouldn't they just regurgitate it? snakes barf all the time (well, as often as they eat anyways)

but then again, snakes really aren't that smart

18. JCfans

JCfans Member

Yea it would make sense that they would barf it up but maybe it would get stuck in their throat. I don't know if it would really work or not. I am going on second hand info.

19. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

Golf Balls

Snakes will eat golf balls, just ask someone who works at a golf course. And yes, they don't pass them. It's a hole in one.