chicken coop guide any one used it?

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by opdude, May 23, 2010.

1. opdude

opdude New Member

Hi All,

I am new to this forum. I just got a copy of ChickenDIYguides.com it looks really good for instructions on how to build a chicken coop. I am getting ready to build one and was wondering if anyone else used it and can give me any tips to look out for.

Thanks!:wave:

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2010
  2. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Hello & Welcome! :wave:

I couldn't get the pictures to load up ... (dial up :ignore:) So ... the tip I will give ... is to make sure it is critter proof. Critter being both wild and someones 'pet' down the road.

Let us know how it turns out.:2thumb:

3. hardrock

hardrock Well-Known Member

4. mmszbi

mmszbi Junior Member

A great website that has tons of coops from small to Hilton size is BackyardChickens.com.

5. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

6. AndrewFromSoCal

AndrewFromSoCal New Member

Just please make sure the coons don't come around and aren't able to get inside. One got one of my girls tonight, despite all of our diligent efforts to keep the chickens safe. It was super sad. Ran out there with my .22 but it was too late and my mad search throughout the neighborhood turned out fruitless.

7. jimmy917

jimmy917 New Member

I over-engineered my coop, and keep a live trap out at least a few days a week. I've "removed" at least 2 dozen racoons this year alone, and haven't lost a chicken yet. Everything was great until I caught a skunk last week.

8. philjam

philjam Well-Known Member

We build a hinged trap cover out of sheet metal . A normal (not sick with rabies, distemper, etc.) skunk won't spray what it cannot see. You can also gently put a blanket or towel over the trap.We trap skunks & coons along with fox, possum and rats. Rats are especially attracted to poultry feed. Weasel and mink sometimes are a problem here. We use lethal traps for them.