Chestnut time

Discussion in 'Gardening and Agriculture' started by *Andi, Sep 10, 2010.

1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I got the the first of my chestnuts today ... yummy ... :D Wow, I do love them fresh off the tree ...:D

Right now I have three trees but hope to add more next year ... walnuts not far off ... :D ... about that time!:congrat:

2. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

What no one else likes chestnuts!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: How about walnuts ??? I picked up more than a few today.

If not this is going to be a very short thread. :D

3. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Love(d) chestnuts. Unfortunately, I had a kidney issue when I was a child. At the time, I was one of 6 people in the world that had this disease. They were clueless and blamed my issue on the chestnuts that I ate all the time. Well, sometime in the past 40 years they figured it out and it wasn't related, but whenever I go to eat one, I cringe and just don't eat it.

Now walnuts... I love those. Unfortunately, the trees have become scarce in this area in the last 20 years. :(

4. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

I love chestnuts too! They're one of the few nuts that grow halfway decent up here.

I was just holding back, waiting to see if you were going to have enough to share with the class! lol

We planted an English walnut tree 6 years ago and every year it grows back from the root. The branches die off, even when we don't have a really cold winter. I don't know what's up with that. Black walnuts do well around here, but I don't like them as well.

Do you get enough to store them? If so, do you roast them, or can they be stored raw?

5. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

I know about the chestnut thang, they are goood! We also have 5 wallnut trees that do great, 5 black walnut's or 6 butternut or white walnut tree's. Up the hollar the other day i needed a hardhat lol, the buckeye's and the oaks were bombing me all day. The beeche's were loaded and this is my favorite of all them.

6. PS360

PS360 Well-Known Member

I don’t like them; when cooked they remind me of astringent mashed potatoes.

Which sucks because there’s a street nearby where I could collect a 5 gal bucket full.

7. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I don't care for them cooked ... justed like boiled peanuts (gross) but I can eat them raw all day long. :D

8. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the only way I like them. Fresh from the tree and raw. :)

9. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

I pick up the butternuts and the hickory nuts, but they aren't dropping yet, maybe next week