Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Meoww
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is for those who are interested in homemade rennet and Cultures and cheese making.

Rennet
First, I dont know how to make vegetable rennet. Animal rennet is made from a calf or kids fourth stomach. This page
has instructions and pics on how to make animal rennet.

Cultures
Mesophilic Culture is for low heat cheese, can be made with cultured buttermilk. Set buttermilk on kitchen counter take cap off and just lay it on the top to keep dust and bugs out and to relieve pressure. Let it sit 6 to 8 hours to ripen. It should look like yogurt. If it dose not let it sit 2 more hours. Take what you need ( 4 oz per gallon) and freeze the rest. Use a ice tray put the culture in the ice tray and freeze. when it is frozen pop them out, put them in a freezer bag label date and pop them back in the freezer. When you make cheese again take 4 per gallon thawed.

Thermophilic Culture is for high heat cheese
Is simple yogurt. You can make it at home or buy it at the store. Live and active culture plain Dannon yogurt. You can use the ice tray to freeze this as well. Again 4 per gallon thawed.

More later.

Reactions: lhalfcent

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
I will look forward to this thread!!! :D

:2thumb:

·
Meoww
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
equipment, what you do need to make cheese.

A stainless steal pot large enough to hold 2 gallons plus some room. A 12 quart is good.
stainless steal slotted spoon
butter muslin
cheesecloth
Dairy thermometer
glass measuring cup
stainless steal measuring spoons
cheese board to dry your cheeses. a wooden cutting board is what i use.
curd knife. if you have a long knife you dont need one
cheese wax
pot for cheese wax
colander
cheese press
molds and followers

To be continued

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
Ok this is for those who are interested in homemade rennet and Cultures and cheese making.

Rennet
First, I dont know how to make vegetable rennet. Animal rennet is made from a calf or kids fourth stomach. This page
has instructions and pics on how to make animal rennet.
Is it ok to contribute about veggy rennet?
you can make rennet from nettles. I use to have that recipe but couldn't find my notebook... :gaah: anyway I looked it up to see if i could find it on the net and sure enough found the recipe! It does work.
how to make vegetable rennet:
Simmer 1 qt nettles, 1 qt water, 1 tsp salt for 10 minutes. Strain. Add to warm milk. 1 cup curdles 4 quarts milk. Recipe can be halved or quartered
** when the nettles are mushy mash them to release the chemical that coagulates the milk before straining**
I made cheese this way only twice quite a long time ago. made a white cheddar and it turned out real good. Just took a little longer to set is all. I haven't had a proper place to cure cheeses until this year so this gets me thinking i might get back to it again!
good thread!

·
Meoww
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes its ok ;) Speak up if you know something I dont. Thats how we all learn :2thumb:

·
803 Posts
Very cool thread...following with much interest!!:cool:

Jimmy

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Thanks for the tip about the nettles ... I didn't know that.

But I will add it to my notes! :flower:

·
Meoww
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On cheese presses

You dont need one unless you plan on making hard cheese. This is the one I have. You can also make one heres one and another.

The simplest cheeses are spreadable ones. You can make Buttermilk cheese or yogurt cheese. You dont need rennet for these cheeses. More on this later.

Before you start making cheese, you need to sterilize your equipment. Wash in hot soapy water and boil or steam for 10 min. You dont want something yucky to get into your cheese and making your cheese taste nasty.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
You have a very nice cheese press! :2thumb:

·
803 Posts
In the beginning soft cheeses are fine to learn, but I see hard cheeses for sure.

I like your cheese press and I like the homemade ones too!

This is such a "Cheesey: thread....:ignore: :2thumb::2thumb:

Jimmy

·
Meoww
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks *Andi and Jimmy24. When I started to look for a press I wanted it to be easy to work and under 100 dollars.

More on sterilizing

You can use bleach but make sure it is rinsed very well. If its not you may not get your milk to coagulate because the bleach has killed your Culture.

Milk

Cows milk? Goats milk? Thats up to you. I use raw cows milk. Before you ask, I do know the risk. I take the risk because it is pure milk, store milk makes me sick. It can have all kinds of nasty things in it like antibiotics, steroids, hormones and other chemicals. I dont want that in my body.

Most cheese is made with whole milk some with skim and ricotta is made with whey.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Milk

Cows milk? Goats milk? Thats up to you. I use raw cows milk. Before you ask, I do know the risk. I take the risk because it is pure milk, store milk makes me sick. It can have all kinds of nasty things in it like antibiotics, steroids, hormones and other chemicals. I dont want that in my body.

Most cheese is made with whole milk some with skim and ricotta is made with whey.
I'll take my raw milk, any day over 'store milk' ... For the same reason that you do. :2thumb:

·
Meoww
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, I have been canning tomatoes. It was a big batch!

There are two ways to heat milk to make cheese. The first is on the stove, second is in your sink. It just depends on how hot you need to get the milk.

Basic technique for making hard cheese.

1 warm the milk
2 add culture
3 add rennet
4 let it sit until you get a clean break
5 cut the curds
6 cook the curds
7 drain the curds
8 mill ( break the curds up )
9 salt the curds
10 mold the curds
11 press the curds
12 air dry cheese
13 wax cheese
14 age cheese

I know that sounds like a lot but its not.

Next I will explain some things such as what a clean break is.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Woot! I'm so glad you started this thread! I have a book about cheesemaking, but being walked through will be much more valuable. Especially if you post pictures of the stages. ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just started helping out at a dairy yesterday. Yesterday we made queso fresco and today we made a farmhouse cheddar. About 8 gallons of milk worth of each. It's a lot of fun! I look forward to learning more from you, Catsraven! I am especially interested in the waxing as we vacuum pack and sell. Not to keep.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
I just started helping out at a dairy yesterday. Yesterday we made queso fresco and today we made a farmhouse cheddar. About 8 gallons of milk worth of each. It's a lot of fun! I look forward to learning more from you, Catsraven! I am especially interested in the waxing as we vacuum pack and sell. Not to keep.
This is such a great opportunity to learn about cheesemaking.

·
Registered
314 Posts
On cheese presses

You dont need one unless you plan on making hard cheese. This is the one I have. You can also make one heres one and another..
We made cheeses a few years back with a homemade press somewhat like the one you show..cheese came out real good.

We hope to get dairy goats again soon...look forward to reading more on this topic! Thanks!

·
Meoww
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Im glad people are getting something out of this :2thumb:

Now there are some things that you should know, culture is called starter its the same thing.

Rennet is always called rennet

A clean break. If you have ever had a medium set jello and stick your finger in it and bent the finger and puled out your finger. it breaks in half where you puled the finger out, thats a clean break.

Curds are the white solid stuff. Whey is the yellowish liquid.

Milling. After you have drained the curds, you have to break up the curds, they tend to stick together. Dont squeeze them just break them apart to about the size of a walnut or a little smaller.

·
803 Posts
I'm loving this!!!! :congrat:

Jimmy

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not trying to get off track but I used the whey I brought home the other day from the dairy in bread and it rose better than any bread I have made. I used it as the liquid--2 cups for two loaves. Woohoo! OK Back to the cheese making! ( I will be bringing some whey home to put on my garden --when that happens)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts