Cheap generators after 12,21,2012

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by lexsurivor, Jul 24, 2011.

1. lexsurivor

lexsurivor Well-Known Member

Me and my family dont buy into the 12,21,2012 doomsday theory (no offence to those who do). But we do believe that society will collapse and S will HTF.
    Right now we dont have the money for a generator but we plan on getting one that one of the 2012 theory people are selling for cheap after they realize that nothing happens. Then we will have it for when society actually does collapse.

2. dahur

dahur Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree with everything you just said.

3. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Was lots of em fer sale after Y2K!

I don't see the planet comin ta a end, this same thing happened before an it still be spinin. I always wondered if the feller what made the calendar fer them folks one day just said "hey, I'm so far out with this thing, I'm takin a break" an just never got round ta addin some more to it?

I tend ta think the worst SHTF scenario will be a medical one. Sooner er later a super bug a some sort gonna get a toe hold an take off. That be how were gonna loose the vast majority a folk world wide. Just my opinion now, yer results may vary.

There will always be the regional disaster what folks have ta deal with.

4. Frugal_Farmers

Frugal_Farmers Good ole country folk

Chances are that most people who have prepped for 2012 will continue to do so.

5. stayingthegame

stayingthegame Well-Known Member

what if the Mayan calendar is like ours.-------- it may simply repeat again.:rolleyes:what happens on DEC 31st.? -------Jan 1st comes round:nuts:

6. lexsurivor

I think the possible SHTF scenarios are (and yours may differ from mine)
    (panic will be the most destructive factor through all scenarios)

SuperBug caused by
    A.a virus mutating
    B. humans messing around with things they werent meant to mess with
    C. Bioterrorism

Economic collapse/Societal collapse caused by
    A. nuclear terrorism
    B. We default on our debts
    C.Civil war
    D.Kim Jong Un decides to test us

Overpopulation

Running out of food/Water/oil

Solar flare
    EMP

7. I was on a committee for the Y2K "possible problems". My job was to see if all my computer programs were going to be affected. Mind you, this was ALL about the computers. One fellow told me..."Set your computer to 1-1-2000, and see what happens". Nothing happened.

My feelings on the Mayan calendar is, This Mayan calendar maker had to quit, those white guys with helmets we killing everyone and he ran. I would have stopped and ran too.:D

And Yes.....cant wait till Dec 22nd...Look out ebay.

8. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

of course not, only the comps that had a year setting of 2 digits (00) had the possibility of being affected

9. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

I'm just concerned we'll have an economic collapse (and S will HTF) before 12/21/12...

10. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

I'm with goshengirl. Start looking for deals now. So many other things can happen between now and 12/21/12 where you may find yourself needing a generator.

11. Nadja

Nadja Well-Known Member

Imagine that you and your family are sitting somewhere that NEVER has any natural disaster type of problem. You are watching tv, playing games or whatever. The lights go out. First thing we all think about is that another drunk hit a pole again, Right ? But when you get up in the morning, your lights still don't come on. Don't you wish you had even a small chinamart generator to at least run lights, coffee pot or even an elec skillet ? Plan now and you will not suffer as much later

12. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Start looking for bargins now. Put what ever you can afford $5 - $10 a week in an envelope marked generator. By the time you find one you can afford you will have some money saved toward the purchase.

13. lexsurivor

I agree with goshen girl also but right now we dont have the money for a generator right now sadly. Were also trying to get food as fast as we can and are going to start a garden sometime.

14. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

I hear you on that. ;) While I do think an economic collapse is coming sooner rather than later, we don't have a generator yet, either. Maybe I need to go out and collect more aluminum cans to sell for scrap, eh?

Good luck with your food collection and garden. Sometimes it seems like the brain is on overload with all the things on the to-do list, but little by little it really does get done.

15. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

Do you have a plan for this generator? Do you have fuel for it? Have you figured your loads for it?

Gensets are generally good for the short term, not a long term situation.

I highly suggest that you have a REAL PLAN for your genset. After Katrina there were plenty of gensets around and for sale....no gas or desiel for them....Big investment to have sitting there looking pretty and can't use....

Have a plan is all I'm saying.

Jimmy

16. lexsurivor

I plan on getting one that I can convert to run off of wood gas. I plan on making a gassifier soon once I get the materials.

17. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

As much as I despise the use of "text language", this post actually did make me "laugh out loud, or LOL if you will.:D

18. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

Generators are nice but they use a lot of fuel. I'd rather have 500 gallons of kerosene for kerosene stoves and heaters than 500 gallons of gas for a generator. I'd love to be to able to power up a microwave and keep my refrigerator going but I don't see that as being practical.

19. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Our main generator I got fer free. Big enough ta run most everthin in the house. All it needed was the carb rebuilt an the starter wirin repaired. The thing be a beast was an old civil defense generator what ran one gate on the lock an dam.

We have it cause we get lots a thunder storms an ice storms what take out the power upta 5 days at a time.

I'll agree, they ain't gonna last long in a total collapse, but fer short term emergencies there worth there weight in gold. We keep 55 gallons a fuel on hand what we rotate out just fer that. I too have considered makin it run offin wood gas fer longer term situations. AC power is sure handy ta have at times.

Yall should add up what ya really gotta have an buy one the next size bigger fer things that could pop up ya hadn't planned on.

20. woodsman23

woodsman23 Well-Known Member

Get a by fuel generator gas/propane/n, gas, you can store tanks of propane for ever under ground or above. gas sucks because it simply does not last and natural gas may not be available. Propane is the way to go and use the genny olny to charge a bank of batteries then shut er down....