Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took this photo Monday while dropping my kids off at school. If you'd asked me just last month if I thought I would ever see gasoline for less than $2 a gallon again, I'd have said only if I move to Saudi Arabia! Now, with gas costing about half what it did at the start of September, does anyone plan on stocking up while the getting is good and what do you plan to do about long term storage?

Also, what is the going price in your area of the country. From reading posts on newsgroups and other forums, it seems to range between $1.50 and $3.50... quite a swing for gasoline that comes from the same handfull of refineries.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do they make some kind of trailer that holds a giant plastic container on the back I can purchase, that seems like a good option (have your own mini-gas tanker)

·
Registered
10 Posts
a 55 gallon drum would be ideal for storage.Add stabil to it and it will keep for atleast a year.
If you don't know what stabil is do a quick google......it is sold at most hardware stores and at the local walmart.

·
Out In The Sticks
97 Posts
I rotate several 7 gallon plastic gas cans using Sta-Bil and it works real good for me. I'm currently on the hunt for a larger drum I can mount on a frame and attach a hand pump to fill cans for use and refill the drum with fresh gas when needed.

This is what I've been using. I'd recomend it HIGHLY.............

Gold Eagle - Stabil

·
Registered
5 Posts
I rotate several 7 gallon plastic gas cans using Sta-Bil and it works real good for me. I'm currently on the hunt for a larger drum I can mount on a frame and attach a hand pump to fill cans for use and refill the drum with fresh gas when needed.

This is what I've been using. I'd recomend it HIGHLY.............

Gold Eagle - Stabil
Kinda what I was thinking. Get a 250 gallon tank, refill it once a month from the local coop, always have a steady supply of fresh gas...

hick

·
Registered
63 Posts
Gas loses octane very quicky, so storing it long term is not advisable.

Additive like Stabil help, but if you are adding $5 worth of additives to keep 10 gallons of gas, you are adding 50 cents a gallon to the cost

·
Outdoorsman, Bladesmith
105 Posts
Gas loses octane very quicky, so storing it long term is not advisable.

Additive like Stabil help, but if you are adding $5 worth of additives to keep 10 gallons of gas, you are adding 50 cents a gallon to the cost
That may be true, but in my mind at least, the reason to store gas is not to lock in today's price... it is to have access to the commodity during times of outage. So yes, one pays a premium to have a pile of fuel stored, but one doesn't need the local station to be selling in order to get to work, resources, bug out, etc.

For example, if I had a 500 gal tank, I could ride my motorcycle for a year to work and back on that fuel alone. If I loaded it up in the van, I can get from D.C. to my parent's house in Oregon, and back, without ever stopping. Of course I'd need a trailer for that, so it would eat into my mileage... but you get the point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts