Preparedsociety.com banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Any reasonable increase in tire size helps out a pile, Here in the muskeg 38.5 super swampers are about the upper limit for stock ,well maintained 1/2 ton driveline. but the mobility increase is huge, If you need to run a lot of street there are lots of 37" radials.
I have also found an onboard air compressor from a modified A/C comp to be VERY handy.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Tirediron,

I have seen some guys with 54" boggers almost go missing when attacking some areas of muskeg fields - personally, I try to stay outta those areas as much as possible because there is no place to hook a winch-line to.

I was up in Caroline area and the 'skeg fields really slowed down our progress .. you can see a little bit of the fun we had when we had the ability to run the cameras ..

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
That Bearberry/Caroline skegg is a lot deeper than the stuff out a wiaparous, way back in the day, I went right through the center of the four corners bog (margaret lake side) with 33 s, powered by a healthy 454. Last time we were thru there it was winching with 44 s

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I've done the north-side of four-corners as well, but, I skip the skeg as there is a bypass on the east-side of it. My buddy with a healthy LT1 and 40" Boggers got burried in it .. out comes the winch-line and extensions to pull him back to solid-ground.

15 minutes later along the "solid" section we find a half-dozen trucks wedged in good, drove around them, dragged out the first one so that he would be able to pull his buddies out and continued on to Margret Lake.

My buddy with the LT1-powered Jeep on 40's was at Margret Lake on Sunday for church and told me that vandals attacked the lake and destroyed the fencing protecting the east-side of the lake and turned that whole-zone into a mud-bog. :cry:

After I get settled into my new place, I wanna see what kind of damage was done and maybe setup a clean-up to bring the pretty back to my church.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
I liked it before everybody knew about the wiaparous valley, it was kind of a secret until the mountain bikers got it plastered all over the news, :surrender: (Major hijack we did here too)

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
If you want, we can start-up a Southern Alberta backcountry usage thread and continue on our discussion about Waiparous, Maclean, Caroline, etc ...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts