Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of using cedar as a natural pest deterrent.

I'm going to get a wood chipper and see how well it does.

It seems to be something I can use, is plentiful around me, and going to be available for some time to come.

Anyone else ever try this?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Seems to work for moths and such, plus I love the smell. I have several cedar chests, use cedar drawer liners, and cedar blocks in the closet, as well as a few cedar sachets in various places.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
That is a great thought. Many people use the cedar chips as bedding material for plants to keep pests away. If you don't have a chipper handy, you can always use a chain-saw to cut down to size and then a hatchet to make "kindling" that will do the same as a chipper, though, not as fast.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Austin, we chip cedar for our dog beds. Does help keep some of the pests down. Where do you plan.on using.this and what.pests are you trying to keep out?

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
I use cedar in the hen house nest and in the dogs bed.

Also like Lake Windsong posted.

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Austin, we chip cedar for our dog beds. Does help keep some of the pests down. Where do you plan.on using.this and what.pests are you trying to keep out?
I'm hoping it keeps a lot of varieties out, I know if I burn it thw smoke will chase off the mosquitoes, but I sit on some land and have dogs, so fleas are may also be an issue.

·
902 Posts
Austin said:
I'm hoping it keeps a lot of varieties out, I know if I burn it thw smoke will chase off the mosquitoes, but I sit on some land and have dogs, so fleas are may also be an issue.
It's often sold for small animal use, so I know it works. Just make sure not to use it if you're raising any bugs!

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's the kicker.

I'm still going to give it a try and see what it does.

At worst I'll have a pleasant cedar smell for some time to come.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts