carry on Items ???

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by questor, Jan 28, 2010.

1. questor

questor Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to what sort of small Survival Kit you could have on board an airplane. Would you pack it in your checked luggage, or as carry on?
    what would be in it?
    I'm thinking fanny pack type carrier.

this is just a thought exercise.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

That is a tough call. You would probably want it as a carry on because you would have a better chance of getting to it if something happens to the plane.

However, these days there are heavy limitations on what you can put in it. No liquids, no blades, etc.

So I figure you could keep some sort of small fishing kit, maybe some light medical supplies(gauze, bandaids), a lighter, possibly a fire starter, a mirror, and maybe some food.

But water, antibacterial ointment, and other liquids would probably be out of the question.

3. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Give me a parachute, I wonder what the other passengers would think, especially if you wore it to save on the baggage fee.:D

4. sailaway

On a more serious note, could you take a military survival kit and adapt it to carry on? You would have to adapt it to the terraine you woulde be flying over, ie mountains, desert, oceans or jungle. For a fire starter, you would probably have to use a 9v battery carried in atransistor radio and some super fine steel wool. I wonder if there is a ceramic knife you could carry on or if there is an all ceramic gun you could pack? I don't know if you are going stealthly to get by security or just /trying to have something that would be permissible. I don't want to think about this topic too much as I don't need to create any problems for myself with the FAA or Homeland Security.;)

5. questor

lets not get carried away . . .

this is just a thought exercise

6. sailaway

Due to National Security and public safety, there are some things we shouldn't think about. We wouldn't want to give anyone any ideas.;)

7. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

I agree wth that... enough said!!;)

8. questor

ACTUALLY . . .
    I was thinking more of survival in the airport of a layover or delay.
    not if the plane goes down
    It can get fairly expensive in an airport !!!