Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2004 Hondai car that runs great.6 cylinder.Has 55,000 mi.on it.

A 1995 1 ton , 8 cyn. ford van that 'may' need a rear end.Van has 63,000 mi on it.

Both get the same milage on long trips,but the car is better stop and go.

We could sleep in the van and have more room,plus its good for hauling.i we had to go we could take a couple chics and 3 big dogs.

The car is newer and small. Be cramped with dogs and chics to say the least.

We want to sell one.

Which one do you think we should sell?

·
Rookie Prepper
4,106 Posts
Is your car a Honda or Hyundai?

If Honda, I'd probably keep the car. If Hyundai, it's a toss-up. In either case, I don't understand why they're not getting better mileage then the van.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is your car a Honda or Hyundai?

If Honda, I'd probably keep the car. If Hyundai, it's a toss-up. In either case, I don't understand why they're not getting better mileage then the van.
Sorry for spelling,don't have spell check.Its a Hyundai Senata.Suppose to be a good car according to some.I use to buy only chevy cars and ford trucks,vans.But what the heck,we don't make the autos or the parts here anymore.

The van pulls better with less rpm's because the engines stronger,the car is harder to pull so the fuel is about the same once they get going.

I just don't now which one to keep,but thinking the van may be the one.

Also have a short bus we'r selling after a few more trips.This we will really miss,it means back to tents for camping out[ will not say in motel,don't like in sleeping in public beds after strangers or using public bathrooms either].

Not for bug out,just for general use .

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
Keep the Van you may need the bug out!

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep the Van you may need the bug out!
I think it will be better for travel if we had to leave in a hurry.

I've always had a van.Almost 50 years of driving and owning one.Had a playpen in my first one for the babies to ride in.They loved the curves. Now they'd put me under the jail for child endangerment.Had a callus on my stomach when expecting a child from sterring wheel.Not to be confused with a hippy though.Never liked hippys.

I'd be lost without a van.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I think you answered your own question, "I'd be lost without a van". Go with what you know, like and are comfortable with....

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
looks like you've already made up your mind, but I would like to add that 63k is VERY low miles for a Ford van/truck ...

when you say "may need a rear end" do you know what specifically needs fixed/replaced?

Pull N Save is literally just down the road from you in Daytona

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you answered your own question, "I'd be lost without a van". Go with what you know, like and are comfortable with....
Thanks ,I think your right.What do you think I can get for the car?It's in great condition we seldom go anywhere in it but the store,good Michelim tires,nice interia,low milage.We travel in bus or van.Seldom travel at all.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
looks like you've already made up your mind, but I would like to add that 63k is VERY low miles for a Ford van/truck ...

when you say "may need a rear end" do you know what specifically needs fixed/replaced?
Yes it is.We bought it when it had 43,000 on it about 6 years ago.Hubby thinks the rear end may need fixing.A noise comes from it after driving it about 40 miles,when it get hot.he tried oiling it.When son came down we changed the U joints and greased everything.

An illegal hit us about 4 years ago in the rear.He was drunk ,had no license or insurence.he hit all 5 cars stopped at red light on a 4 lane in Orlando Florida. We think maybe it could have caused it.We also got hit by one same deal in Miami who ran a light.We no longer go anywhere near central or southen Fl..Miss the Keys alot.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Pull N Save is literally just down the road from you in Daytona
Pull and Save sounds good.I think Jax has an U Pull but not sure its still open.We keep up maintaince on all vehicles.

Son may come down next month.

Also...I heard they may start charging us by the weight of the vehicles.If so the van may cost more for tag.Don't want to think what the bus could cost!

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Yes it is.We bought it when it had 43,000 on it about 6 years ago.Hubby thinks the rear end may need fixing.A noise comes from it after driving it about 40 miles,when it get hot.he tried oiling it.When son came down we changed the U joints and greased everything.

An illegal hit us about 4 years ago in the rear.He was drunk ,had no license or insurence.he hit all 5 cars stopped at red light on a 4 lane in Orlando Florida. We think maybe it could have caused it.We also got hit by one same deal in Miami who ran a light.We no longer go anywhere near central or southen Fl..Miss the Keys alot.
is it the differential that heats up, or the wheel? here's an image to help:

if it's the wheel then it's 99% likely just a wheel bearing, they're <$10, getting the old one out & pressing the new one in is hard with just hand tools, take it to a local auto parts shop, they'll have a bearing press

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is it the differential that heats up, or the wheel? here's an image to help:

if it's the wheel then it's 99% likely just a wheel bearing, they're <$10, getting the old one out & pressing the new one in is hard with just hand tools, take it to a local auto parts shop, they'll have a bearing press
Thanks Blob
:wave:

Not sure exactly what it is yet.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
The first thing that I would do (I am a mechanic) is to get a clean drain pan and drop the oil , this requires removing the differential cover. if the oil comes out with silver flakes, you have mechanical problems,bearing, gear or both. if the oil is black or milky brown it is water contaminated, and a simple change may be all that is needed. An oil change is due any way. If the breather vent is clogged with dirt/dust it may cause the pressure to build up and cause problems.
It is also normal for an axle to generate some heat, if it gets hot (220*) in a short time that is excessive but under 200 is not going to hurt anything, but that should take some time to get that warm.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The first thing that I would do (I am a mechanic) is to get a clean drain pan and drop the oil , this requires removing the differential cover. if the oil comes out with silver flakes, you have mechanical problems,bearing, gear or both. if the oil is black or milky brown it is water contaminated, and a simple change may be all that is needed. An oil change is due any way. If the breather vent is clogged with dirt/dust it may cause the pressure to build up and cause problems.
It is also normal for an axle to generate some heat, if it gets hot (220*) in a short time that is excessive but under 200 is not going to hurt anything, but that should take some time to get that warm.
Thanks Iron,He tried to tighten differential,it is slack with play in it.It would'nt budge.

It makes noise 'sometimes'backing up or pulling forward like axle or gears are going bad.last time son visited ,changed Ujoints and tansmission seals were leaking.

That drunk illegal hit the car behind us so hard while we were stoped at red light,it drove the heavy duty trailor hitch to the ground and then he bounced off her and hit the cars next to us.The woman was hurt pretty bad who was pushed into us.Illegal then took off in his smoking wrecked car but cops got him.So we took a hard hit.

I figure if TSHTF the van would be cheaper on parts and easier to work on.What do you think?

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
If you like the van, in my opinion it would be the better choice especially if SHTF, it will have parts in common with a lot of ford trucks and it is at the age that the parts should be getting cheaper, it also has a lot longer life expectancy than the import car. Has anyone looked at the rear brakes ? something may be loose in the brake drum(s).

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you like the van, in my opinion it would be the better choice especially if SHTF, it will have parts in common with a lot of ford trucks and it is at the age that the parts should be getting cheaper, it also has a lot longer life expectancy than the import car. Has anyone looked at the rear brakes ? something may be loose in the brake drum(s).
I think your right.So we will try to sell the car.Brakes were checked when we put new tires on,they were ok.

Its somewhere in the back around the rearend.

i was wondering about drive shaft but there is'nt any vibrations to speak of and the 'new' U joints don't clank except maybe a little where they bolt to rear end.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Find a knowledgeable, trust worthy mechanic, maybe a small shop were the owner works on stuff himself, and have it looked at, most times if a bearing is going it will cause an oil seal to leak (if the shaft exits the housing), if the bearings are OK and there is no metalic stuff in the oil a noisy gear set can go for a LOT of miles.
It will prolly be a lot easier to sell the small car in todays economy also.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Find a knowledgeable, trust worthy mechanic, maybe a small shop were the owner works on stuff himself, and have it looked at, most times if a bearing is going it will cause an oil seal to leak (if the shaft exits the housing), if the bearings are OK and there is no metalic stuff in the oil a noisy gear set can go for a LOT of miles.
It will prolly be a lot easier to sell the small car in todays economy also.
Thanks so much for your help.If hubby was'nt disabled he could fix it but we will wait for son to come for the heavy lifting.Hubby will supervise the job.
:thankyou::

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thanks ,I think your right.What do you think I can get for the car?It's in great condition we seldom go anywhere in it but the store,good Michelim tires,nice interia,low milage.We travel in bus or van.Seldom travel at all.
To find out what you can get for your car, I would go to Kelly Blue Book, I think it's kbb.com, and input all the information with your zip code under the private seller section and that should give you a good idea of what to ask for it.

One of the other guys on here with more knowledge than me may know a better way but I would at least give it a look see.....:dunno:

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To find out what you can get for your car, I would go to Kelly Blue Book, I think it's kbb.com, and input all the information with your zip code under the private seller section and that should give you a good idea of what to ask for it.

One of the other guys on here with more knowledge than me may know a better way but I would at least give it a look see.....:dunno:
Thanks AJ,Iwent to the site but my puter would not let me read it.About time I got to scroll,it flipped me offline.
So I googled and flipped until I'd had enough.

I did read some about it city-data forum ,said it was a good car.Maybe when I go to library I can read all the info.:wave:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts