Canning w/ Metal Cans

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by NotAGrasshopper, Dec 2, 2010.

1. NotAGrasshopper

NotAGrasshopper Active Member

A recent post by Freyadog reminded me of this...

I have several can seamers that I've scored on Craigslist, including an electric model that does everything from a #1 can up to a #2-1/2 and a hand-cranked #10 sealer.

While trying to figure out how to can wet food, I stumbled upon the web site for the University of Alaska's Cooperative Extension Service. These folks have a number of publications (most of them free) that describe how to set up and use can seamers along with instructions for canning various types of food like meat and fresh or smoked fish.

Just select the publications you want and they'll mail them to you. Some are available online as PDFs. You don't need to be an Alaska resident and they don't even ask. If you aren't an Alaska resident you might consider ordering your publications by mail and including a small ($5?) check to help support the service but you certainly don't have to.

IMO, all preppers should own a can sealer, scads of cans and a pressure canner. How else are you going to preserve that elk or stringer of fish? Jerky is going to get old quickly.

2. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

BLASPHEMER! :eek: :lolsmash:

seriously tho... thanx for the info

3. Freyadog

Freyadog Member

Wow Notagrasshopper excellent site. Loads of great information. Thank you so much.

4. jbjr829

jbjr829 Member

Used #10 Cans

I have found that it is very easy to obtain #10 cans at local schools and restaurants, however, finding the lids for the cans is a little harder. You can find #10 can lids at the site below:

#10 Can Lids

If you do not own a the canning equipment, many times the LDS churches will open to the general public and they have fairly decent prices on cans, lids and grains.

5. NotAGrasshopper

I don't get it. You're getting used cans and reusing them? Reflaring them?

BTW, lids can be purchased from LDS Bishops' Storehouses for $0.17 each (IIRC). Cans about eighty cents.

6. jbjr829

jbjr829 Member

Yes, we are reflaring them. We have a machine that cuts the top off and reflares the cans.

7. Herbalpagan

Herbalpagan Well-Known Member

could someone reccommend a site that will educate me on can machines, cans, packing in cans and where to get the materials, including the can sealer?

8. TheWoman

TheWoman New Member

Please, we need more information.......how, where to buy equipment, etc. Thanks

9. NotAGrasshopper

The link I posted that started this thread was precisely that, which was sort of the point.

Canning with cans isn't all that different from using jars except the cans are manually sealed after reaching 170 degrees and then the pressure canning proceeds as with jars.

The first thing I'd do is download/order the materials available on the Alaska link I posted.

As for can sealers and cans, Google is your friend. I don't have specific sites. The manufacturer of the most common manual can sealer (Ives-Way) doesn't appear to have a web site (!).

There are various sites for cans. Wells Can Co. is where mine came from. Buy the nesting salmon cans unless you want to pay for shipping air.

10. Olefaithfull

Olefaithfull New Member

Is this a homemade machine? Modified exhaust flaring machinery? Manual or hydraulic?

Please tell me more!

11. CapnJack

CapnJack Problem with authority

I may be a couple years late here (LOL) but thanks for the info, OP. Definately something to look through.

12. streetwise23

streetwise23 New Member

Hi my name is Robert I'm from los Angeles CA I read a lot about the #10 can sealer I have one I've had for about 3 years never knew what it was for till now its in excellent condition it runs and it does the job if anybody would like to buy it.

Contact via PM

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015
  13. IlliniWarrior

IlliniWarrior Well-Known Member

14. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

15. JustCliff

JustCliff Supporting Member

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  16. IlliniWarrior

just so no one misunderstands ... American is one of very few home can sealer manufacturers still around - and they have parts for their old ones ....

very doubtful and a very slight chance of American parts fitting other old can sealers manufactured by out of biz companies ....

17. Caribou

Caribou Time Traveler

When I was growing up many people used cans, rather than jars, to do their canning in. I remember using cans with my grandfather and my mother and I believe Mom still has Grandpa's can sealer. The local canneries decided that there was a liability problem with selling cans to home canners and quit selling the cans. When this happened it became impractical to put up cans due to the cost of shipping the assembled cans. Even finding the cans became problematic.

Everyone switched to jars. They were more expensive but you only had to buy the jars once. Even so I have had problems finding my preferred brand of lids and sometimes there were no lids available of any brand. At some point I stumbled across a box of Tattler lids. I used them, I liked them, so I picked up a case of each size. I still use the metal jar lids but usually only the ones that come with a new case of jars.

The supply chain has failed me in the past. This is one area where I have been able to get around supply chain issues. If cans were still cheap and available then they would be fine. While I can put up sugar or beans in a #10 can I want a pint or smaller for my meat or fish. Cans have some advantages but so do jars.

18. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

According to one of the posts, you have to bring the cans to 170 F, THEN put the tops on? I'm not a clod, but that seems like a disaster waiting to happen at my place! Hot canning using gloves is more than enough of a challenge for me.

If you can more than one thing at a time, how would you know what is in them? Yeah, yeah, some of you can remember, but there are the rest of us. Process in the afternoon/evening, let cool overnight, open the next morning.... What was this layer again? I have a hard enough time when I can see the contents! Was this chili or stew? I can see beans in this one... must be chili? Did I put beans in the spaghetti sauce yesterday? I see big chunks of green peppers in these, sauce or chili or stew? Shake the jar a bit... It looks pretty thick, I'll call it sauce. Heck, it is going over rice or noodles anyway. Same thing if the labels on cans fail. Grab a can.. Is it green beans or fish? With my jars I can at least have a visual check... It is some kind of meat patty.

I'm with Caribou on size (size does matter!). My home canned stocks are in pint and half pint jars, mostly half pints. Being single, what good is opening a quart of anything? My FD, LTS food reserves are in #10's. Once opened, no refrigeration required and if I have to open them, I'm eating the whole can before opening another one. There will be no, we'll have stew tonight, then something different for breakfast, then tomorrow night something different. It will be what is for this meal? What can is open? I don't have children so there will be no 'Again? We've had that for two days now!' It will be 'Cool! I have something to eat!!!

19. IlliniWarrior

DIY home wet canning in metal cans is a disaster waiting to happen - hot water bath or pressure canning in glass canning jars is the way to go ....

metal canning is great for dry canning and using 02 absorbers .... it's a step above using mylar bagging/02 absorbers .... a properly sealed can with the 02 removed is the very best conditions you can get for dry goods ....

you can also process non-food items like ammo, loading supplies, electronic parts, various spare parts, cache supplies, emergency packs ect ect .....

you can order empty #10 cans and matching lids for home can sealing operations thru the Mormans - Provident Living Centers .... 80 cents each for a can and 15 cents each on the lids ..... these are food grade cans - important & critical issue

20. hashbrown

hashbrown Peckerwood

I had never seen a can sealer but I think maybe I bought one or at least part of one today for 3 bucks at a junk store. :confused:

Attached Files: