canning supplies

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by Tammy, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Tammy

Tammy Guest

I was wondering if anyone knew where i could buy canning supplies year round. I haven't been able to find anywhere to buy year round normally just around spring or late summer. IF anyone knows where i can buy jars and such please let me know.

2. Hardware stores and Walmart usually have them.

3. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Walmart is where I buy mine, they have most everthing, pickling spices, pectin, lids and jars all year, even your local grocery store has a section, at least mine here in So. Calif. do.

4. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

You don't say where you live - but - here in Calgary I can pick up canning jars, lids, rubber seals, etc all at Canadian Tire in their home-goods section - right beside pressure cookers, dishes, cutlery, etc.

5. Tammy

Tammy Guest

i live in tennesse i went to walmart today and can not find any there i looked every where

6. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Now thats a 'Tire Store' in Calgary, the Walmart here has them in the home goods section with the vacuum sealers, toasters, coffee makers, canisters etc. just ask at the front for them.

7. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

+1 for Crappy Tire. Canadian Tire has lots of canning stuff. Plus Canadian Tire money. You know they're not just about tires...

8. sf38a1

sf38a1 New Member

Canadian Tire Is a very good store, It remined me of the old Westren Auto stores but larger.I use to go to alot when I was in Canada.

9. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I remember Western Auto, my first bicycle came from there when I was a kid, I had forgotten all about them. Are there any left? We have Tractor Supply Centers, I enjoy going to them right now. The one thing they don't have is one of those fruit harvesting baskets on a pole.

10. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

+1

I love Tractor Supply.

11. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I like to keep a years supply on hand, if you are having problems finding them now ... why not ... when spring comes around pick up a few extra.

I've not had a problem finding supplies as of yet... Just keep in mind when you DO find them ... stock up.:)

12. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I've been to 4 auctions this year. For a total of about $20, my supply of jars has grown by almost 300. :2thumb: They range in size from the big 2 quart down to the half pint size. One haul even had 4 dozen new lids. Yard sales and flea markets are also a great place to pick up jars for a fraction of the retail price.

13. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2009
  14. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Most of my stuff I get from garage sales. People don't know what they have or what they can do with it. I picked up two dozen jars from my dad because his pickled egg idea went up in smoke after he ate a few dozen in a setting.

15. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

Try Ace Hardware online

Do you have an Ace Hardware store nearby? You can order online, they will deliver for pick-up at your nearest store.
    :)

16. CVORNurse

CVORNurse Well-Known Member

Tammy, my local grocery stores keep canning jars and lids year round.

17. Country Living

Country Living Supporting Member

Note to self: don't laugh while taking a drink of soda - it's hard to get if off the monitor!

18. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Dean, What was your dads pickled egg idea?, I love pickled eggs!:2thumb:

19. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I picked up two dozen jars from my dad because his pickled egg idea went up in smoke after he ate a few dozen in a setting.

He had enough fuel to achieve orbit. :eek: :ignore:

20. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

He thought since we had chickens growing up that he could pickle the eggs instead of eating them fresh. After a few months with a couple dozen chicken he decided to make a meal of them (why not it's like breakfast but tangy). No one could ride in the car with him for a week. It was gross. He then tried to pawn them off on his friends and family but we all knew the results. I took some because I'm a fan of not eating a dozen in a setting but everyone else declined. He only used a third of the jars he bought so I took the rest when he was throwing things out some time later.