Canning Meat?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Meerkat, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

I read you should start with fresh meat.I don't know where to find fresh meat around here.

I did get a lot of good info from the County Extention office though.

How do you can meat?Also how to make chili and meat soups would be nice to know.

2. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

I precook the meat in a pressure cooker. Then load the meat in pieces that will fit a jar- into the jars and add some of the liquid from the cooking. Add 1 tsp of salt per qt jar and pressure can it in a pressure canner for 90 minutes at 10 lbs pressure.

3. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

Thanks,I just started canning last month.

What kind of meat do you can? I know theres fresh meat around here,but they want big money for it.I try to buy on sale,and of course the meats they put on sale is far from fresh.

I only use beef,chicken.Hubby won't eat pork every sine his parents fed him Arnald his pet pig 50 years ago.:confused:After he was done rating,they ask him how Arnald tasted.

4. joyfulheart

joyfulheart Active Member

I buy whatever they have at the grocery store. Ground beef, chicken thighs, breasts, beef roast, corned beef, brisket, pork roast, pork chops, skirt steak, ham, sausage, .... whatever I can get at a good price.

The only thing I don't can (off the top of my head) is chicken drumsticks. Too much bone, not enough meat to bother.

And I also can the meat that is the managers special.... not the top fresh stuff, but perfectly fine to eat or can. Never had any problems or complaints.

5. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Meerkat, I'm wondering if when you say "fresh meat" that you think it can't be frozen? Buying frozen meat for canning is fine and often much cheaper. Turkey is a great example. We buy 4 or 5 turkeys just before Thanksgiving when they are on sale, then thaw them out and can them after the holiday season.

6. Davo45

Davo45 New here

Didn't they know you never name an animal you're planning to eat? :eek:

7. neldarez

neldarez Supporting Member

Hi Meerkat, you just got me to chuckling over the pigs, I named ours Baco and Bits........they were delicious. Big diff. was, I was an adult and knew the reason for the pigs, poor little kid didn't understand that.....:(

8. Centraltn

Well darlin you can can absolutely anything in the meat area.. even fish. When we had a cat I often would send the kids out to catch some sucker fish, I'd pressure can it (bones just disappear that way) and can it in appropriate sized jars. I've also canned beef cubes, slices and ground, whole chickens minus the bones.. and skin..., turkey deboned and de skinned (great to do this after tgiving and xmas when the turkeys go on ridiculous sales.. I used to go in and buy 10 or 12 of em and spend the next day cooking and canning it). I also made huge batches of turkey, chicken or ham and bean soup (the ham was a left over from a meal of baked ham, not enough for another meal- and it was all in small pieces.. perfect for a great northern bean soup) and canned those. (always can soup as long as the longest item in the soup needs to be canned if it was by itself in the jar. If its meat.. any kind of meat.. 90 mins. You can can the juices left after cooking the meats also. Makes elixer for the gods!!! and great soup/gravy bases. Can't get better than that!

9. Herbalpagan

Herbalpagan Well-Known Member

Get yourself the Ball Blue Book fo canning and read on canning meat. I take advantage of any sales to stock up on meat, put it in the freezer and then can it later when I have time.

10. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Thumbs up on the Ball Blue Book. We've never had a question it didn't answer. We got chicken breasts at Sam's Club and canned those. 2 packs got us (I think) six quarts. They turned out just fine.

11. cybergranny

cybergranny Well-Known Member

12. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

13. weedygarden

weedygarden Well-Known Member

Fresh meat??

When I read this, I wondered what kind of meat you currently eat? I am not trying to be sarcastic or cruel, but fresh meat is the meat that you buy at the grocery store that is not frozen. I am trying to understand what you mean when you say fresh meat?

14. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Store in next town to my west is selling boneless chuck roast for $1.99/lb for next two days. I'm going to stock up and can, can, can.

15. RetroMan

RetroMan Member

Spouse and I have been canning meats for a while. We use the raw pack method, processing in a pressure canner will cook it more than enough.

Ground beef never comes out with any texture, it more like "liquid meat" this while having flavor is visually revolting so tread carefully.

We've had the best results canning beef and pork. Canned pork makes for an unbelievably good, fast pulled pork dinner or sandwiches. :2thumb:

16. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

add bulk & stiffen it with rice &/or bread crumbs? that's what we do :dunno:

17. kejmack

kejmack Texas!!!

We used to name our pigs....Ham, Bacon, Breakfast, etc.

18. Centraltn

yOU'RE GROUND MEAT WONT COME OUT SOFT LIKE THAT IF YA COOK IT FORST. jUST BROWN IT AND COOK TILL THERES NO RED.. then CAN IT.
    ooPS Sorry bout the caps

19. neldarez

Well, I'm now a pro at meat canning...:2thumb: You all remember how scared I was of the pressure canner, well, I've now canned hamburger first ( turned out good but I should have packed more in) and now I canned roast. Opened a jar for dinner tonight so I could see what it's like, so tender it fell apart..........I can't tell you how pleased I am that I finally did it! :beercheer: Now I'm showing friends how and today I bought boneless chicken breast on sale and I'm going to can that.......All because you folks told me how and encouraged me............thanks:congrat:

20. neldarez

what a great idea........ummm, do you cook the rice first?? :dunno: