Canning Jars

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by UncleJoe, Oct 18, 2009.

1. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I went to an estate auction yesterday and picked up 73 canning jars that was a mix of qt. and pt. with both the wide mouth and regular mouth. There was also 24 - 2 qt. jars. The entire lot was $5.00. It was a great deal but what in the world do you do with 1/2 gallon jars? :dunno: They don't fit in the water bath or the pressure canner. Anyone have any experience with these monsters?

2. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I do, but not for food. We have these metal spout gizmos floating around that go onto a Mason jar for pouring oil into an engine. The idea is you fill up your quart or half gallon jar of oil from your bulk container, screw on the cap/spout thing, and you're good to go. We still use them (not sure if we have 1 or 2 but I can remember having 2) once in a while. I think the patent on them is from the 1920's or 30's. WAAAY before plastic bottles. :)

Uncle Joe, I'm sure that was no help to you whatsoever, but it gave me a chance to share an interesting anecdote.

:D

3. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

I use the small mouth half gallon jars for long term storage. My vacuum sealer came with a device to use on small mouth Mason style jars, just fill jar, put in oxygen absorber if available and put on canning lid and vacuum seal. I put on the ring to further prevent lid from comming off. Most canning books don't recommend that you use half gallon jars for regular canninng because of their size.

4. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

1/2 gallon jars???

Well, I can think of a few things. Restaurants have their food delivered in jars like that filled with ketchup, mustard, pickles, mayonaise, pickled-peppers, etc (I have quite a few empty jars left over from my days of running a restaurant).

I cut a slot in the lid and every night I drop my spare-change into the jars. When I get bored, I will roll the coin up and head over to the bank. I have about 10 years worth of coins collected in some jars in my bedroom right now - it might be time to roll them and see how much I have collected.

Last time that I "spent" the money in my coin-jars, I bought a blue Pontiac Turbo Firefly ..

5. UncleJoe

How many do you want? :D

I'll use a few of them for bob's idea. I dehydrated a lot of peaches this summer and now I'm doing apples which I put in plastic bags for storage. I like the idea of vacuum sealing it in jars. I can use 1 for storing next years garden seeds.
    Jason, sounds like you could use a few spares. You wouldn't want your "gizmo's laying around with nothing to do. :)

6. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I see what you did there ... :dunno:

I still have a case of empties left in my basement that I was thinking of sending to be crushed and recycled into other glass-items. Honestly, other than using them as piggy-banks, I haven't had any need of them ..

Hmm .. would SailAway want them to put toy sailboats inside :2thumb:

7. northernontario

northernontario Well-Known Member

That's like what... $75 in spare change? (wait... was the gas tank full or not? That makes or breaks the good deal. ;) )

8. Kaytastrophy

Kaytastrophy Kaytastrophy

Uncle Joe

Why not try using those half gallon jars to keep your sugars in or for rice
    or if you dehydrate your own vegetables use them to keep those. I
    use them for all of these things because my canners are too small to
    can my wet foods in them.

9. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

The half gallon jars are great ... I use them for milking all the time ... (you don't milk ... ) fine... tea, kool aid and lots of other things.

Think out side the box ...

10. UncleJoe

I ended up using quite a few of them. I've filled them with sugar, salt, dried fruit, dried veggies and DE. Still have some left though.

11. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

I use mine for storing pasta, rice etc. Also have to put some of my garlic dill pickles in these jars for my nephew, he can't get enough.

12. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I guess I think outside the box too--I use them like the Amish do, I can juice in them, that is what they are for(or at least that is what the Amish ladies told me) and I have a huge canner and pressure canner and I also use them for my sugar and beans and other assorted baking goods and I have the wide mouth lid sealer on my foodsaver so I have mainly the wide mouth ones. I hunt them down at thrift stores and yard sales.
    They are also great for honey and maple syrup.
    The best thing is that they keep the pantry moths out. not all of the plastic jugs will.

13. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I use mine to make sun tea.

14. Herbalpagan

Herbalpagan Well-Known Member

I use mine to store beans, dried veggies, herbs, powdered drink mixes (to keep damp from getting to them), sugar,pasta and all sorts of things. I also used one to make elderberry tincture and when it was done I turned it into syrup and put in smaller jars.
    They are a very practical item!

15. UncleJoe

I prefer the qt jars for honey. I just got a 5 gallon pail and filled 2 jars to reliquify it when it's needed. Less energy needed in the smaller jars.

Dean, Sun Tea. Great idea!

16. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Half gallon jars are great and hard to come by. I have a few. Some have dehydrated veggies or fruit in them, a couple have dried herbs.

Too bad we don't all live closer to each other! Those of you with extra, I'd be finding something around here to barter with you for those jars!

17. BuggingIn

BuggingIn Well-Known Member

That was an awesome score! I'd have been over the moon to get just the half gallon jars. Between dry food storage and goat's milk, I don't have nearly as many of the half gallons as I'd like.

18. sherldoe

sherldoe Member

Oh, I'd love to have some of these larger jars. They are so hard to come by. They will make excellent containers for all types of dry staples, flour, wheat berries, cornmeal, matches, and on and on. All y9u need to insure long term storage is a few oxygen absorbers. They can be kept in the pantry for long/short term storage also

19. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

I love, love, LOVE half gallon jars!! I use them for my spaghetti sauce, grape juice, and apple juice. I can also use them for my fresh goats milk! I have like 4 dozen of them and it never seems like enough! I have been buying at least a dozen of them a year now. I would love to have 200 half gallon jars! 52 for spaghetti sauce, 52 for grape juice, 52 for apple juice...then fill the extras with more of those three items or milk or dehydrated foods or honey or syrup.... Oh how I dream about an abundance of half gallon jars!

20. Dixie

Dixie Well-Known Member

I found that Ingle's grocery store carries them here. I have vacuum sealed cereal, beans, rice, nuts and potato flakes in them. I store them in the box they came in and they seem to take up less space on my shelves.