Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking the bacon out of the canner it appears to have a layer of water as well as bacon grease. Is it normal?
I searched and couldn't find an answer so I apologize if it has.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
I know nothing aboot canning bacon.

Do you have hard water? If so add a capfull of vinegar to the canner water and it will cut/keep the hard scale off of the jars.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually had to run out and buy wide mouth because I forgot until I tried to shove it into a regular jar. Was still challenging in the wide mouth and ended up using a little less than 16 ozs per.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PackerBacker said:
I know nothing aboot canning bacon.

Do you have hard water? If so add a capfull of vinegar to the canner water and it will cut/keep the hard scale off of the jars.
Thank you. Will try next batch.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Davarm said:
If you didn't have the liquid/fat in the bottom of the jars, that would be a sign you may have done something wrong.lol
Today I can see there is more water than grease in some of the jars. Expected grease but the water sure was a surprise!

·
943 Posts
I found when I was canning my bacon that once you get the paper just inside the top of the jar you start gently twisting and sort of pushing at the same time. It went right in.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Freyadog said:
I found when I was canning my bacon that once you get the paper just inside the top of the jar you start gently twisting and sort of pushing at the same time. It went right in.
Maybe it was the brown paper I used but it ripped quite a bit.

The Kroger brand bacon had very little water compared to the discount store ones.

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
Maybe it was the brown paper I used but it ripped quite a bit.

The Kroger brand bacon had very little water compared to the discount store ones.
You can rub oil or bacon grease on the outside of the brown paper bundle to make it easier to stuff/twist into the jars.

·
Willowe
250 Posts
OMG...you have way more ba&&s than me! I am new at canning and can't figure this out! You just stick bacon ina a jar!?
No water?...(I am not being my typical sarcastic self...I am seriously fluxmoxed by this technique)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wonderful thread. I have never managed to can bacon, it disapears too fast around here. I have however eaten lots of it. This may get me moving on the task.

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
Wonderful thread. I have never managed to can bacon, it disapears too fast around here. I have however eaten lots of it. This may get me moving on the task.
You can buy the cheaper "Ends and Pieces", fill a jar and can it without the paper separator if you just want to use it for seasoning or to mix with scrambled eggs.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've been looking for the ends and pieces around me and haven't found it yet. Sounds like it would be much easier.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts