Canned Meat

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by UncleJoe, Jan 10, 2010.

Tags:
  1. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I made my first venture into canning meat today. Our store had boneless chicken breasts for $1.79lb so I picked up 10lb and canned it up. It looks a little odd but the jars sealed up and I put it on the shelves. I'll let it sit there for a few weeks and make sure the seals hold. I'll bring this back to the top when I feel confident that it worked right and I've lived to tell about it. :rolleyes:

2. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Jars full of meat would look kind of like lab specimens, wouldn't they?

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Canned chicken over rice ... very nice!:D

4. UncleJoe

Yeah, Pretty much. :rolleyes:

But if it works out, I won't need to rely on the freezer as much. I read a blog entry from Preparedness Pro Blog , one of our members, about canning meat and finally decided to do it. We'll see how it goes.

5. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I've never tried to jar the meat. What did you season it with?

6. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Is this what you do with deer to can it? Where do get those jumbo sized canning jars.:2thumb:

Attached Files:

7. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Not sure how Uncle Joe did his but I don't add anything (not even salt) when canning any meat.

8. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Now that was funny ... thanks for the smile.:2thumb:

9. UncleJoe

I did put a tiny pinch of salt in each jar. I also filled the jars about 3/4 of the way with water. You don't need to add either, but now when I go to use them I'll have some broth to make gravy with. Yumm. :)

10. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

How about a can of Vienna Sausages:D

11. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Sorry ... I don't care for Vienna Sausages but my son loves them.:D

12. OldFashionedMama

OldFashionedMama Partyin' like it's 1699

Mmm canned meat is good. I remember when we finally gave up on raising chickens and slaughtered the ones we had left. My stepmom canned the meat and made a killer chicken soup with it. Canned ground beef is also excellent, not to mention very convenient for chili, tacos, etc...For those who were wondering how meat is canned, you use a pressure canner and bring it up to the appropriate pounds-per-whatever and keep the jars in the canner for as long as the recipe calls for. There are two kinds of pressure canners, one with a dial gauge and one with a weighted gauge. My stepmom's canner is from the stone age (I'm not kidding-I've used it!) and has a weighted gauge. I think most of the newer ones have dials now.

13. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I was thinking you could herb the meat but I don't know what the break down on that would look like. I always keep bay leaves in pickled sausage and eggs but they are pre-dried.

Vienna Sausages rock. Potted meat too. I've been eating at least a couple of cans a week a since I was a kid and I don't see myself stopping any time soon.

14. UncleJoe

I just got mine in March of '09 and it has both.

15. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

I guess I'm still in the stone age here, I love the sounds my pressure canner and pressure cooker makes when up and running, hiss...hiss...hiss...hiss. One other advantage to these is that you can be in the other room and know what is happening with the canner, because you can hear it running! I know by the sound when it is up to temp.

16. texican

texican Active Member

I'd be 'careful' putting herbs in your canned meats. The pressure cooking tends to make quite a few of them bitter. I tried it once, and ate my mistakes, insuring I'd 'remember' not to do that again. It's easier to add whatever spices you want after the fact.

Even if you could season the meat... what happens when you want italian and you have the meat seasoned mexican, or vice versa.

I only use salt and water when canning...

17. marlas1too

marlas1too Well-Known Member

ok here goes--cold packing refers to canning meat-ive been cold packing deer meat since i was in my teens--cut deer in small chunks and pack in quart jars to within 1/2 in of top ad one level tablespoon salt and wipe clean rim then seal-put in canner and cover with water (keep water level over lids even when boiling)bring water to a rolling boil for 3 hrs then remove from heat and put jars of meat to a towel on counter to cool-dont rush the cooling time as they cool you will hear the lids pop as they vacum themselves ---will keep for years --when ready for use just drail liquid off and eather make chilli our like me i make sloppy joes using my favorit bbq in a skillit---hope this helps

18. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

We've canned meat (and milk and cheese and even hot dogs) for years. Meat has been canned ground, in patties, cubed, roast and steaks. My wife now cans most of it with very little water. The meat is easier to work with this way. We got tired of having to cook it so long for things like spaghetti, sloppy joes, etc. to get the water to evaporate. Incidentally, canned hot dogs suck unless you buy the very best ones to can.

19. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

Can you tell us how you can milk? Have you ever canned goat's milk?

20. 1sttnrifles

1sttnrifles Member

My wife has been canning sausage, pretty easy, fry sausage, have jars hot, she uses water bath canner to keep jars hot, have lids hot, put cooked hot sausage down in jar and pour in some grease, wipe lid sealing area clean and tighten band, turn upside down until cool. Easy and good. :)