Canned Butter

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by catsraven, Feb 5, 2010.

1. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

Im going to try this with my churned butter and see if it works.

1. Any butter can be used but the higher quality butters will be easier to work with. There isn't as much separation.

2. One pound of butter is a little more then a pint so it is easy to figure how many one pint jars you will need.

3. First clean your jars thoroughly and put them in an oven at 250 degrees F. for about 30 minutes. Put your rings and lids in a small pot and simmer for ten minutes.

4. Next melt the butter slowly until it comes to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes.

5. Then pour the melted butter into the hot jars. I use a large pyrex measuring cup. Make sure you keep the butter stirred so that it doesn't separate.

6. Clean the tops of the jars with a cloth and put on the lids and rings. Tighten securely. Leave about one half of an inch space at the top of the jars.

7. As the jars start to cool you will need to shake them several times. It isn't a necessary step but the butter will look much better if you do.

8. When the jars are cool and SEALED put them in your storage. They should keep for three or four years if kept cool and dark.

Enjoy

How to can butter

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  2. Concerned_ Citizen

Concerned_ Citizen Well-Known Member

Good Luck! ill see if my other half has any pointers or exp on this...

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Let us know how it turns out. :)

When I have extra I freeze it ... but most of the time I just make it, when I need it.

4. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

That's going to be great if it holds.

5. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

My wife has done it before and she said the process you have should work okay. You can also can cheese similarly. It works great. Use wide mouth jars if you have them because it's easier to get the butter and cheese out later.

6. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Can cheese??? I've never heard that one. :confused:

7. mosquitomountainman

My wife can and has canned about everything. Even the dog starts looking nervous when she gets the canner out. Cheese and butter both come out great when canned.

Athough we have solar electricity our plans are to be able to live completely without electricity if the need arises. We rely on canning, drying and the root cellar for food storage. We're working our way toward more drying and root cellar as time goes on. They are both sustainable for the long term and use less resources.

8. UncleJoe

LINK PLEASE! or directions for canning cheese.
    Now that I've started canning meat, I want to can everything I see. DW is getting a little concerned. :rolleyes:

9. TechAdmin

I'm wondering how canning cheese works as well.

10. mosquitomountainman

11. TechAdmin

That was interesting. I'm going to have to try it some time.

12. UncleJoe

Thanks. That sounds easy enough. Wait till DW sees me melting cheese. :peep:

13. UniqueOldGal

UniqueOldGal Always Learning/Using New Skills

It's encouraging that in the outback of Australia they've been living off canned ghee and cheese for decades and it has NO expiration dates....as in it lasts until the CAN goes bad by being exposed to moisture or heat!

NOTE for non homesteading Preppers: Look up Red Feather and Bega brands if you want long term storage butter and cheese and can't do it yourself! It's sold by the can or case!

Making clarified butter or "ghee" lasts Twice as long as canning butter with the water left in it too. It'll outlast any oil you try to store for the long term because properly canned--not a hint of water or solids left--(water slowly steamed out and then double strained with cheesecloth) it just doesn't go rancid..........or so I've researched... :rolleyes: I've canned some ghee but can't say I Know it's true until 10 years from now. LOTS of testimonials can be looked up though. :)

14. jungatheart

jungatheart Beginner's Mind

Had a craving for chocolate chip cookies last week but was out of butter and didn't want to make the 50 mile round trip to town so I broke into my stash of Red Feather canned butter. Great stuff!! At least 4 years old.

15. kathyprepper

kathyprepper Active Member

I feel I would be remiss not to point out the the USDA does not endorse canning either butter or cheese. Both are low acid foods and can not be safely canned in a water bath or oven canner. The possibility of botulism, while small, does exist. You do not want to chance illness, especially during a crisis, unnecessarily. Ghee may be canned as the milk solids are removed and only the fat remains. The other problem with both products is the difficulty in getting a good seal because of the fat that gets on the rim. I do know people who can both with only the occasional rancid batch but I just want to take a chance with my family's health. I teach food preservation classes and I'm in the process of writing a book on the subject so I'm not just talking out of my hat here. I hope that everybody who does any canning gets an up-to-date copy of the Ball Blue Book or the UGeorgia book, So Easy To Preserve.

16. Davarm

Davarm Texan

I'm glad to find out that I am not the only one who cans butter and cheese. I have many, many pounds of both canned and on the shelf.

17. Davarm

Davarm Texan

Your concerns are noted and appreciated, but, It comes down to what chances you are willing to take, I feel that the risks are so small and remote that canning and eating butter and cheese are well worth it. I saw that you keep Bee's, their is a risk of botulism poisoning eating honey, especially for very young children. Granted, It very, very rarely happens but the possibility is there, same with the canned cheese and butter.

Those of us who can and consume butter and cheese feel that it is an acceptable risk.

I, for one, have alot of respect for your knowledge and experience, we just happen to disagree on a few points. If we all agreed on everything, this world would be a very boring place.

18. kathyprepper

kathyprepper Active Member

Agreed. I would feel terrible if I had information I kept to myself rather than rock a boat and then found out someone had become ill. BTW. I would never let a child under the age of one consume raw honey for just that reason. An adult immune system can handle it just fine.

19. Davarm

Davarm Texan

Figured that would be the case, was just using it as an example because it was a such a remote possibility.

20. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

So has anyone tried pressure canning butter or cheese and does it change the texture?