Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From: Cancer patient told to shut down yard sales | Sympatico.ca News

NewsSource said:
When Jane Cline was diagnosed with bone cancer at the beginning of the summer, she didn't expect the terminal disease to eat holes into her bones and take away her mobility so quickly. Barely able to walk, she was unable to work and consequently could not get health insurance coverage. So, she was forced to sell her worldly possessions in order to pay for her monthly healthcare bills, which amounted and still amount to thousands of dollars each month.

Although Cline kept the yard sales in the backyard, neighbors complained. The city of Salem, citing a little known law that prohibits residents from having more than three yard sales a year, told Cline that "the law is the law" and she had to shut down the sales or face a $300 fine.

When news sources got ahold of Cline's story, people from all over the country pitched in and donated $16,500 to help pay for her treatments. Now, the mayor of Salem is trying to get her yard sale moved to a commercially zoned location.

I know that if I were in Cline's position, I would have done the same thing, regardless of whether or not I knew about the law. The real criminal here is the U.S. healthcare system that places more value on profit than human life. The corrupt and immoral system drives people to do things they wouldn't otherwise do (sell all possessions, get married, travel to different countries) just so they can afford the treatments required to keep them alive.

In the U.S., it is virtually impossible to get healthcare coverage with a pre-existing condition. A pre-existing condition can be anything from cancer to asthma to tingling in the legs (a potential precursor to Parkinson's or Dementia).

If you are lucky enough to be employed and to then have an employer who offers healthcare, you automatically get coverage. However, you still have to pay a monthly rate (which can cost hundreds of dollars), a yearly deductible (which can cost thousands of dollars), and any copayments (which vary based on treatments). Additionally, insurers will often flat out deny certain life saving care and will only cover a certain percentage of the cost of treatments they do authorize.

When a childhood friend of mine was diagnosed with leukemia at the age of 25, she was working as a special education teacher and was fortunate enough to have great healthcare coverage. Nevertheless, her co-pays amounted to about $1000 a month. Four years of co-pays added up to an immense bill, and although she had a couple fundraisers to help pay the cost, she is still paying off medical debt four years later.

Though my friend was lucky enough to have a family that could organize fundraisers and support her while she was sick, Cline and others like are forced to break the law to ensure their survival or at least prolong their lives, and the fact that they have to do so is the biggest crime of all.

It's cases like Cline's that remind us how lucky we are to live in a country with a healthcare system that puts human life first.
And the YouTube link to the news-casting

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
I've never heard of jsomeone who already had health insurance having it revoked that fast... :hmmm:

I'm looking into this before making accusations tho...

what kind of rat fink complains about "more than 3 garage sales a year"?

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Although the law is stupid, the law is the law and appears to have been justly enforced. I think they should put some effort to repealing that dumb law! :nuts:

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
Although the law is stupid, the law is the law and appears to have been justly enforced. I think they should put some effort to repealing that dumb law! :nuts:
I know why the law is in place. It keeps pickers from turning a residential area into a commercial, I just don't know the kind of person who reports a sick lady for trying to raise money for a condition we all have, life.

Seems a shame, but the greatest issue I see here is what happens when she runs our of stuff to sell?

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
I can think of a few reasons a town might limit people to three (or however many) yard sales a year. I've seen places where people run more-or-less permanant yard sales all summer, on the weekends. The traffic becomes a problem, and the people having the sales tend to leave everything out and throw tarps over the table. Kind of an eyesore type of thing. Some communities might be concerned the permanant-sales people aren't paying taxes on their earnings. Then there's the "running an inlicensed business" thing. :dunno:

I'm glad the woman in the news story got so many donations.

·
1,734 Posts
Then there's the "running an inlicensed business" thing. :dunno:
When you have legitimate businesses that rent buildings, bring in tax revenue, employ people competing against a low cost commercial operation, yea it's a problem. After living next to someone with junk in their yard 24/7, and my house and yard kept pristine, yea, it's a problem. My community has an escalating "yard sale" permit fee for each additional permit over 12 months.

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
I can think of a few reasons a town might limit people to three (or however many) yard sales a year. I've seen places where people run more-or-less permanant yard sales all summer, on the weekends. The traffic becomes a problem, and the people having the sales tend to leave everything out and throw tarps over the table. Kind of an eyesore type of thing. Some communities might be concerned the permanant-sales people aren't paying taxes on their earnings. Then there's the "running an inlicensed business" thing. :dunno:

I'm glad the woman in the news story got so many donations.
It ends up becoming a flea market. It can be a bad thing.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I can see both points of view. Here in our area there are no such laws and the permenate yard sales become an eyesore. We will be having a huge sale the first weekend in Oct. proceeds going to my neighbor who has been diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer, he is only 51. His wife just lost her job. The 9th of Sept. DH and I are doing a benefit barbque. Need your prayers both projects will be successful.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
When you have legitimate businesses that rent buildings, bring in tax revenue, employ people competing against a low cost commercial operation, yea it's a problem. After living next to someone with junk in their yard 24/7, and my house and yard kept pristine, yea, it's a problem. My community has an escalating "yard sale" permit fee for each additional permit over 12 months.
Yeah, while I am dismantling the local laws there I would get rid of the business license and business taxes... those are so tacky and un-American. If we are going to talk about freedom lets go ahead and be free :dunno:

·
Registered
633 Posts
This woman is in Salem :)
The Salem government got so much sh** from the news story that they agreed to help her a little bit with medical expenses. The lady has a PayPal account and she has had $17,000+ in donations roll in. I donated money to her as well. Her neighbor complained against her. Now the neighbor is getting death threats, lol!

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,686 Posts
Welcome to Amerika,no need to fear big brother,
in the 21st century the government's your MOTHER!

The band Scatterbrain.
[goodbye freedom,hello mom.]

·
Registered
4,581 Posts

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
This woman is in Salem :)
The Salem government got so much sh** from the news story that they agreed to help her a little bit with medical expenses. The lady has a PayPal account and she has had $17,000+ in donations roll in. I donated money to her as well. Her neighbor complained against her. Now the neighbor is getting death threats, lol!
It is called 'freedom of association' now that too is a hate crime.
How many yard sales can one household have before giving out of stuff?:confused: Many people are now going to flea markets or other places buying things,then reselling them for a profit.
I'd give to her,but I would'nt want her turning the hood into a flea market.Got to be more to this story.
The death threats lets me know its some protected person who thinks they can break rules.Conservatives don't kill they are tired tired from working for those who do.

·
Default Member Title Here
83 Posts
If there was a way she could get her stuff over to a church, that would help her, she would be good to go. A church is protected by the non-profit status (501(3)C) and she wouldn't have to be bothered by nosy neighbors. Non-profits have no limits on how many fund raisers they can have.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
If there was a way she could get her stuff over to a church, that would help her, she would be good to go. A church is protected by the non-profit status (501(3)C) and she wouldn't have to be bothered by nosy neighbors. Non-profits have no limits on how many fund raisers they can have.
I agree. I wonder how many people live with her or if shes totally alone ? But i stikll can't see how anyone could have 3 yard sales without giving out of big item stuff to pay for expensive treatments.
Cancer is a terrible thing .We use to have the best care in the world for the poor ,now most of the nations population is poor .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.