Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about this: imagine the stock market crashed, there's no power, no water, no stores open. But you and your family have everything you need for a year. What do you do when friends, family, neighbors, or co-workers knock on your door looking for food and shelter? We have a condo. We're barely going to have room for all our stuff and 4 people. I can't take in my sister-in-law and her husband plus my stepson's girlfriend's brother and parents. I plan on not answering the door no matter who it is. Hungry people are desperate people and everybody probably knows 20 people who feel like you owe them food and shelter. I think I might be in the most danger from friends, family, and acquaintances than from complete strangers. Any thoughts on this?

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
We are planin on us, the boys an their wives an the grandkids. That be as far as I feel comfortable a stretchin the resources. After that everbody gonna be on there own.

It be harsh not ta help others, but there only so much ta go round. Folks what can't even put back the basics gonna have a mighty powerfull lesson ta learn.

Hopin that time never comes, but preppin as best we can fer it.

·
I put SAs on IGNORE!
2,426 Posts
In addition to my family, it will be my parents and my husbands mother. That's it.

My neighbor that I love, I have informed her during tornados of my preps, however I told her, since it is only her, she can easily just buy some dehydrated meals, start storing water and she will be fine...she said, OK, I might let you buy that for me, she doesn't have a computer.

That's it, no one else. No answering doors and if we do, AK on shoulder.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Not sure if I can turn away hungry kids,but we may have to.We don't have much at all,just a garden,chickens.We store water if storms in forecast.
Basically we just started canning and with beans $17 a bushel we have'nt did much of that.Just planted some beans,okra,cukes,peppers,and few other veggys.

When they go on vacation,they go to the beach or visit each other mostly.Say all we like to do is work.So let them eat cake.

'Cakes'that crud on the bottom of baking pans.What the queen was referring to right before they sent her and family to guillitine.She said"Let them eat cake",it was the last straw and insult to the people.[if I remember right?]

·
Supporting Member
3,243 Posts
We're planning on three others coming but we're trying to put away as much as possible to leave our options open. We have no problems saying no & we seem to get ample opportunities to practice it. ;) If/when TSHTF, we will trust God to let us know who, & to what extent, to help.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
We're planning on three others coming but we're trying to put away as much as possible to leave our options open. We have no problems saying no & we seem to get ample opportunities to practice it. ;) If/when TSHTF, we will trust God to let us know who, & to what extent, to help.
Good idea.
I talk big but who knows what I'd do if the situation presents itself.

·
Registered
418 Posts
In a word, yep. It has been me and the hubby for so long now that it is pretty apparent family on both sides would throw us under the bus for a Klondike bar. Can't pick your family though ... so ... might sound harsh but if I'm not good enough to associate with now I certainly won't be good enough to associate with after things get unbearable ...

Wish them all the best but I am nobody's keeper but my own.

I do have a neighbor I'd give my life (and everything I own) for. He's a good man and we are best buds ... His wife of 60 someodd years passed away last year. He is welcome anytime ... and for as long as need be. :kiss:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think their will be about 7 possible that could come if it got bad enough. 1 for sure, 2 very possible. The other 4 not so sure (long distance).

Depending on what they bring to the table whether they can join in or not. Strangers? Nope, plain and simple. In an odd way I feel that it want be hard for me.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
In a word, yep... they have called me odd for years ...

It is me, myself and mine ...

·
Registered
837 Posts
I can tell then NO and to move on just as fast as they told me i was paranoid and crazy for the past 15 yrs.
You give in to one person and you'll have dozens and all their friends, so you either prep for your and yours or you prep for the world, you have to make that choice now, not after the dam breaks.
you people who say you're going put your trust in God or not answer the door will starve or be killed in place, your doors will be busted down and God is not going to help, I know it sounds cruel but it's a fact, this world is full of theives and takers and bad times are not even here yet.

·
803 Posts
I can tell then NO and to move on just as fast as they told me i was paranoid and crazy for the past 15 yrs.
You give in to one person and you'll have dozens and all their friends, so you either prep for your and yours or you prep for the world, you have to make that choice now, not after the dam breaks.
you people who say you're going put your trust in God or not answer the door will starve or be killed in place, your doors will be busted down and God is not going to help, I know it sounds cruel but it's a fact, this world is full of theives and takers and bad times are not even here yet.
I'm with ya. Try 35 years of being called a fool. Well it won't take long to weed them out.

Actually at this moment in time, besides a GF, I'm pretty much on my own. At my house have no neighbors even in the ballpark. At the retreat a little different. I have about 6 neighbors within about 2 miles, they are all country folks, with big gardens, they all hunt and fish. Not looking for much issue with them.

Kids are 2400 and 400 miles away. They would be welcome of course if they can get here. I have more than enough prepped. They know I have been prepping for all these years and have never said anything until lately. Mainly asking questions about how to do this and that.

Anybody comes up my drive, they are either coming to visit, lost or up to no good....

So yep, I can say no.

Jimmy

·
Supporting Member
819 Posts
Yes. I can and will say no. I am planning on 4 for several years. Whenever someone mentions or hints around at it, I refer them to the story of "The Lttle Red Hen" I have printed copies that I post around now and again. I have put it on FB and e-mailed it to people. Unfortunately a lot of people still don't get it..

·
803 Posts
Yes. I can and will say no. I am planning on 4 for several years. Whenever someone mentions or hints around at it, I refer them to the story of "The Lttle Red Hen" I have printed copies that I post around now and again. I have put it on FB and e-mailed it to people. Unfortunately a lot of people still don't get it..
Oh my what a great "show and tell!". Forgot all about that story...

Jimmy

·
Supporting Member
819 Posts
Oh my what a great "show and tell!". Forgot all about that story...

Jimmy
Yes it is. This story is even more important to society now then it was when i was a very small kid. It may be a kids short story but, it provides a good blueprint for life.

Once there was a Little Red Hen who lived in a barnyard with her three chicks and a duck, a pig and a cat. One day the Little Red Hen found some grains of wheat. "Look look!" she clucked. "Who will help me plant this wheat?"
"Not I", quaked the duck, and he waddled away.
"Not I", oinked the pig, and he trotted away.
"Not I, meowed the cat, and he padded away.
"Then I will plant it myself," said the Little Red Hen. And she did.
When the wheat was tall and golden, the Little Red Hen knew it was ready to be cut. "Who will help me cut the wheat?" she asked
"Not I," said the duck.
"Not I," said the pig
"Not I," said the cat
"Then I will cut this wheat myself". And she did.
"Now", said the Little Red Hen, "it is time to take the wheat to the miller so he can grind it into flour. Who will help me?"
"Not I," said the duck.
"Not I," said the pig.
"Not I," said the cat.
"Then I will take the wheat to the miller myself," said the Little Red Hen. And she did
The miller ground the wheat into fine white flour and put it into a sack for the Little Red Hen.
When she returned to the barnyard, the Little Red Hen asked, "Who will help me make this flour into dough?"
Not I," said the duck, the pig and the cat all at once.
"Then I will make the dough myself," said the Little Red Hen. And she did.
When the dough was rready to go into the oven, the Little Red Hen asked, "Who will help me bake the bread?"
"Not I," said the duck.
"Not I," said the pig.
"Not I," said the cat.
"Then I wll bake it myself," said the Little Red Hen. And she did.
Soon the bread was ready. As she took it from the oven, the Little Red Hen asked, "Well who wil help me eat this warm, fresh bread?"
"I will," said the duck.
"I will," said the pig.
"I will," said the cat.
"No you won't," said the Little Red Hen. "You wouldn't help me plant the seeds, cut the wheat, go to the miller, make the dough or bake the bread. Now, my three chicks and I will eat this bread ourselves!"
And that's just what they did.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Little Red Hen update...

animated version:

MODERN VERSION

Once upon a time, there was a little red hen who scratched about the barnyard until she uncovered some grains of wheat.

She called her neighbors and said, "If we plant this wheat, we shall have bread to eat. Who will help me plant it?"

"Not I," said the cow.
"Not I," said the duck.
"Not I," said the pig.
"Not I," said the goose.

"Then I will," said the little red hen, and she did.

The wheat grew tall and ripened into golden grain. "Who will help me reap my wheat?" asked the little red hen.

"Not I," said the duck.
"Out of my classification," said the pig.
"I'd lose my seniority," said the cow.
"I'd lose my unemployment compensation," said the goose.

"Then I will," said the little red hen, and she did.

At last it came time to bake the bread. "Who will help me bake the bread?" asked the little red hen.

"That would be overtime for me," said the cow.
"I'd lose my welfare benefits," said the duck.
"I'm a dropout and never learned how," said the pig.
"If I'm to be the only helper, that's discrimination," said the goose.

"Then I will," said the little red hen.

She baked five loaves and held them up for her neighbors to see. They wanted some and, in fact, demanded a share.

But the little red hen said, "No, I can eat the five loaves."

"Excess profits!" cried the cow.
"Capitalist leech!" screamed the duck.
"I demand equal rights!" yelled the goose.
And the pig just grunted.

And they painted "unfair" picket signs and marched around and around the little red hen, shouting obscenities.

When the government agent came, he said to the little red hen, "You must not be greedy."

"But I earned the bread," said the little red hen.

"Exactly," said the agent. "That is the wonderful free enterprise system. Anyone in the barnyard can earn as much as he wants. But under our modern government regulations, the productive workers must divide their product with the idle."

And they lived happily ever after, including the little red hen, who smiled and clucked, "I am grateful. I am grateful."

But her neighbors wondered why she never again baked any more bread.

---------------

Still another version:

http://www.caelsanderson.com/latest-news/a-modern-day-version-of-the-little-red-hen/

A modern-day version of "The Little Red Hen"

"Said the big white rooster, 'Gosh all hemlock; things are really tough,

Seems that worms are getting scarcer and I cannot find enough;

What's become of all those fat ones is a mystery to me;

There were thousands through the rosy spell but now where can they be?'

The little red hen who heard him didn't grumble or complain,

She had gone through lots of dry spells, she had lived through floods of rain;

So she flew up on the grindstone and she gave her claws a whet,

As she said: 'I've never seen the time there were no worms to get.'

She picked a new and undug spot-the earth was hard and firm,

The big white rooster jeered, 'New ground! That's no place for a worm."

"The little red hen just spread her feet, she dug both fast and free,

'I must go to the worms,' she said, 'the worms won't come to me.'

"The rooster vainly spent his day, through habit, by the ways

Where fat worms have passed in squads, back in the rainy days.

When night fall found him supperless, he growled in accents rough,

'I'm hungry as a fowl can be-conditions sure are tough.'

He turned then to the little red hen and said, 'It's worse with you,

'For you're not only hungry but you must be tired, too.

'I rested while I watched for worms so I feel fairly perk,

'But how are you? Without worms, too? And after all that work.'

"The little red hen hopped to her perch and dropped her eyes to sleep,

And murmured in a drowsy tone, 'Young man, hear this and weep,

I'm full of worms and happy, for I've dined both long and well,

The worms are there as always-but I had to dig like heck.'

"Oh, here and there, white roosters still are holding sales positions,

They cannot do much business now, because of poor conditions,

But soon as things get right again, they'll sell a hundred firms-

Meanwhile the little red hens are out a-gobbling up the worms."

-author unknown

·
Registered
2 Posts
You have to look after yourself before you can look after anyone else. If you are unable to provide/defend for your family who will? Sometimes harsh times require harsh measures. And I hope to heck we never have to see it.

·
BillM
2,001 Posts
I will

I will say no so my wife , children and grand children can eat.

I will be despised and hated so they will not be.

I will defend our provisions with deadly force so they do not have to .

I will say no so that they don't have the guilt.

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
I have no problem saying no now so I am sure it will not be hard when it comes to someone else taking food out of my children's mouths!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is something I've thought on off and on. Hubby's mom probably wouldn't survive the shock if anything did happen but my mom would probably be right on the door step. I know she'd pull her weight and she does help me some of the labors or storing. As a matter of fact she's in the process of putting in fruit trees for canning and drying... But she also doesn't get "it".

I know there would be others knocking on the door. I really want to say that they wouldn't be welcome, but hubby and I both have big hearts and closing the door would hurt us worse than them (well emotionally at least).

In the end we'd have to remember that it's better for few to survive than none to survive.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts