Can you help me find this book?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by mdprepper, Jun 19, 2010.

1. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

I found this posted on "A Taste of Home" when I was googling 'depression era' recipes:

When DH was in the army (a long time ago) I would use the post library. I checked out a book & if I remember correctly, the name of a book was 'Keeping the Wolf from the Door'. It was about incredibly basic survival. One recipe was to remove the hardware off a leather suitcase or brief case & boil the leather to try & make Calf's Foot Jelly. There was a chapter for what to do 'when the jerry's bombed out your kitchen'. Tips on burying food in the ground if you didn't have a root cellar or to put things in a creek to keep them cool. Along w/tips on unraveling sweaters & knitting new ones. I read it several decades ago but it was an interesting book, I'd assume written by an English author (from what I remember because of the WWII references).

So now I am trying to find the book she was talking about. I can not find a book with that title. Do any of you know what the actual title may be? Thanks in advance:D

2. mdprepper

That certainly sounds like the right book. Thank you very much!

Now, has anyone read that book?

From the description on TOH, I thought it sounded like a good "survival" book. But, from what the link tells me, it is more of a "foodie" type of book.

3. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

Copies are available on ebay for $6 postpaid. I'll try it for fun.

4. mdprepper

Great, please let me know what you think of it.

5. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

Wolf is easy... slow broil it and serve on a bed of rice and bamboo shoots...add a nice vintage Maddog 20/20 shaken not stirred... your guests will HOWL with delight..:D. caution, do not serve during the full moon!! :eek:

:beercheer:

Sorry, sometimes I just have to do these things :dunno: