Can you belive this crap / stores destroy clothing

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by kyfarmer, Jan 8, 2010.

1. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  2. CVORNurse

CVORNurse Well-Known Member

I couldn't get your link to open right, went to some sort of yahoo small business page.
    But yes I believe it. Mom worked as a manager for Dollar General. They were told to destroy anything they had to throw out by cutting it up or pouring bleach all over it before it went into the dumpsters. Said it had some sort of liability issues, not wanting people searching through the dumpsters and getting hurt. And they told her she couldn't donate the clothing to a shelter either. She did break the rules occasionally, but she would have been fired if they ever caught her leaving the store with any of those items.

3. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Took me to Yahoo small business also. I also have seen alot of corporate waste this way also. That's one way capitalism and the free market system don't work.

4. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I used to install ductwork for a living. It was union and paid well. I finished my apprenticeship but I hated it so eventually I quit. One time we were cleaning out a fab shop and threw away literally a roll on dumpster's worth of brand new vent grates and piping and all kind of fixtures because they were bought for jobs that were cancelled so they "couldn't be used". All brand new stuff that could have been donated to Habitat for Humanity or some kind of charity home building/renovating outfit. Again, liability issues. Made me sick to my stomach.

5. kyfarmer

Liability that is the kink in the chain to getting excess thing's to people who could use it. Lawyer's are not my favorite people for sure, i hope the bad press will change some policies of those who could do more.

6. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Ultimately, like they always do, these people will skirt blame until America gets distracted then they will go on with there practices and we will all be worse for the wear.

7. TreeMUPKennel

TreeMUPKennel Well-Known Member

When I worked for ole Wally World, I seen it time after time. They would throw any and everything away good stuff. It broke my heart one time they had me take down 3 new deer stand displays and put them down the compactor to crush, I asked if I could buy them they said no way at all. When I was on the grocery side working the WM brand foods like canned items if they were dented they put the down the compactor too. Other brands were sent back to the claims depot. But tons of perfectly good items tossed just because they were dented. But once again not allowed to buy.

8. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Most grocery stores have the same policy. We asked both of our local grocery chains if we could have the outdated bakery goods for the chickens and goats. But noooo, corporate policy requires it to be thrown in the dumpster. :nuts:

9. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

dumpster diving

Might have to check, but a lot of places it is still legal to dumpster dive. Of course, some places it isn't legal; never go if there is a no trespassing sign, locked dumpsters... Never in a compactor:eek:, but the 'green living' increase has lots of younger people dumpster diving for furniture, food, etc. We would go dumpster diving when we were younger for food for our rabbits.:sssh: We would go 'looking for cardboard boxes' on the days they threw out fresh produce.

10. kyfarmer

That would be alright, i,am not to good to do it. But they destroy the stuff before it hit's them or most places do just because of this. Well my point was that they could have given the stuff to a charity, could have even been good pr. LAWYERS that's the main reason or a big one anyway. :nuts:

11. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

When I was a teenager I worked for a fried chicken franchise and they would make us poor bleach on the unsold fried chicken we threw in the trash. I hated to do it. It always occurred to me that if your going through the trash times are hard enough without some millionaire franchise owner making it harder. The business owners ended up going bankrupt and ran back to India before they could brought up on charges of tax evasion.

12. pdx210

pdx210 Well-Known Member

I dump used motor oil in my work dumpster i simply got tired of cleaning up the garbage all over the place because some A-hole made a huge mess dumpster diving.

Ever notice free stuff rarely stays nice, ever been to a really nice clean ,safe welfair housing project? How about homeless people living under a bridge leaving garbage all over the place? People that get stuff free rarely have respect for it or where they got it and have no problem trashing others property getting it

13. kyfarmer

Sadly for a few this is so, but not everyone. Still i can see your side of it. The pool of the homeless has changed from bum's to a lot of out of work families. Even the working poor has increasingly turned to this sometimes. The state of this country is a lot worse than many want to believe.

14. pdx210

pdx210 Well-Known Member

I agree, it's not particularly a homeless issue that was just one example. There's just a certain element of society thats inconsiderate or stupid that will in a proverbial way ... piss in the well they drink from!

15. truthfulwon

truthfulwon Junior Member

"I dump used motor oil in my work dumpster i simply got tired of cleaning up the garbage all over the place because some A-hole made a huge mess dumpster diving.

Ever notice free stuff rarely stays nice, ever been to a really nice clean ,safe welfair housing project? How about homeless people living under a bridge leaving garbage all over the place? People that get stuff free rarely have respect for it or where they got it and have no problem trashing others property getting it"

It is a sad thing to think a person would pour motor oil in the trash to keep people away from the trash. I would hate to stand before GOD and see how this scenario plays out on judgment day. Imagine if that was you in that same predictiment, and you had no food. Would you appreciate a heartless person doing that to you? What has happened to us as a nation, a people? So what if you were a little inconvenienced. These are people not animals. You could easily be a welfare recipient living in a housing project or even a tent. For the bible clearly states,"For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again". Matthew 7:2

16. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Truthful ..

I don't have a problem with pouring used oil on stuff that I would rather not get into the wrong hands - but - I do have problems with the pouring of oil into the garbage where it could possibly work its way into the water supply and contaminate drinking water for years to come.

There are better ways to recycle goods - and - if we all can figure a better way to re-use whatever it is that we have, the better it is for all of us.

I use "old clothing" all the time as part of my shop-clean-up to soak up spills and the like. The oil-soaked clothing is not thrown away, it is re-used in many different ways till it cannot be used ever again.

Now, as far as the "what would Jesus do" comment - I would ask that direct references to religious text / information be left out of the conversations here.

17. pdx210

pdx210 Well-Known Member

Not a restaurant, no food. By the way I don’t think these are homeless people there are three or four people that drive cars through the area looking for can’s, metal, possibly personal info. I’ve show up at the shop and had perhaps half the dumpster lying all over the parking lot. The issue isn’t keeping people away from the trash the issue is the mess they make. I’d lock my dumpster but they've cut several off, how’s that for Matthew 7:2 . Judging me by how I treat them works in reverse too ...I'm OK with that.

“So what if you were a little inconvenienced. These are people not animals. You could easily be a welfare recipient living in a housing project or even a tent.”

LOL… it’s always easier when it’s someone else is being inconvenienced isn’t it! It wouldn’t be an issue IF they clean it up after themselves ....“So what, if THEY were a little inconvenienced” or are they simply animals? Sure, Anyone could end up homeless but there’s a difference between homelessness and trespassing, vandalism, Theft and littering… it’s that simple and that’s what it is!

18. kyfarmer

If that's the case then you are right, just because it's there and trash they should not be *-holes about it. 30 year's ago when times were tough. I done the bar dumpster rounds and never left a mess. My family needed the cans for food. I was young and proud, would not take food stamps. Worked where i could and moved to where work was as soon as i could. I look back on those times and no matter how hard it got, i never stole or robbed to make it. No excuse for it or making the mess you said they make.

19. kbamvakais

kbamvakais Well-Known Member

Why do people blame the corporations, it IS a libality issue only because some homeless person somewhere sued walmart for a rash that delevoped from a sweater pulled out of the dumpster, the cause it had some kind of chemical on it from other trash, so in return to protect there *** they now destroy the items so the $10 sweater soesnt cost them 6.3Million. now im not defending walmart they do there fair share of shady **** but this is the one case where i cant blame them, same goes with the chicken place someone probly chocked on a chicken bone, sued, and won. just like the lady who spilled coffee in her lap at mcdonald. if we find the need to place blame somewhere place it with the kind of world we live in now

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  20. kbamvakais

kbamvakais Well-Known Member

and Farmer, I agree i was in the same boat at one point in time, hell i still do it to make extra money, bulk trash days around my neighbor hood has made be a few hundred a month at least, lol