Can States Merge..........????

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sourdough, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Sourdough

Sourdough ExCommunicated

Can two or more states Merge and become one state.......? Could three or four states merge.......? If not, why not......?????

2. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

Not that I know of they can't.

3. Sourdough

Sourdough ExCommunicated

Why......what document would prevent it........? Cities merge, counties merge, why not states......? It would reduce redundant management in many departments, lower cost, offer a wider base for debt creation, resulting in lower interest rates on bonds.

4. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

One thing is because you could never get enough people to agree on anything.
    I know last week Sudan did this very thing your speaking of.Republic of South Sudan.I'm wrong thats a nation not a state.:confused:

5. Sourdough

Sourdough ExCommunicated

From the Wilderness Survival Forum:

"While it CAN be done, it is unlikely to ever happen. Article 4, Section 3 of the United States Constitution reads in part:

["New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress."]

(So, it could be done. But it would need Congressional Approval)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  6. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Sourdough, I'm certainly not a Constitutional Scholar [cough choke hack :D], but I'd bet it would require a US Constitutional Amendment.

But at a fundamental level, I disagree with the basic concept of centralization. Here's why:

If I have a problem at the township level, I can go to a township meeting and discuss the issue with the supervisors who are my neighbors and hopefully resolve the problem.

If I have a problem at the state level, my chances are pretty slim, but not absolutely impossible. But the larger the state = governmental body, the slimmer the chances getting heard.

IMHO, we need a whole lot less guberment at the fed/state level and more involvement at the very, very lowest local level. Otherwise, we as individuals with localized, individual problems and issues are just voices in the wind.

Here's an example. A few years ago, PA passed the Uniform Building Code.

Among other things, a homeowner is required to get a permit and inspection whenever they replace their water heater tank...........Well, pardon the hell out of me, but their ain't no way a gubermint inspector is coming into my home without a warrant. Is this reg reasonable if you live in a multi-story row house where your improperly installed, leaky water heater floods everyone below you? Well, .......????? You decide.

On the other hand, we live out in the boondocks. If my house burns to the ground!!!! it won't hurt anyone else, so the gubermint can butt the hell out!

But centralized gubermint is a one-size fits all concept. That is what you are suggesting whether you know it or not, IMHO.

7. Sourdough

Sourdough ExCommunicated

I know what I said, and I know what YOU fabricated that I said, and they ain't even close.

8. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Ummm, sorry Sourdough, I'm not sure how I offended you; and I'm not sure why you think I "fabricated" anything you said.

You said, "Can two or more states Merge and become one state.......? Could three or four states merge.......? If not, why not......?????"

I merely pointed out that I prefer smaller rather than larger (merging states) government entities. If you think bigger, smaller, wider, narrower, skinnier, fatter -- whatever -- government is better, that's ok too. I enjoy a brisk, friendly debate. I won't get cranky with you for disagreeing with me.:)

9. IlliniWarrior

IlliniWarrior Well-Known Member

Near Thing in 1941

The Pearl Harbor attack ended the almost state of Jefferson ....... the far north counties of California and the lower part of Oregon were ready to declare a new state ....... they had all the roads blocked with armed militia and allowed traffic into the almost state on waivers ...... Eureka CA would have been the state capitol .......

10. Sourdough

Sourdough ExCommunicated

We are fine, no worries. I don't "WANT" states to merge. However I think all options should be on the table, for current and future economic problems.

11. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

A few years ago ND and SD were talking about joining as one state, it failed to pass a vote of the people ....or so I recall... I believe VA and W VA were once one, my history is thin on it , had to do with the War of Northern Aggression I think...

The Dakotas with very small populations would seemingly gain in the representative area was the thought...

I know the folks in Northern CA would love to split off from the 3rd world SOCAL but they don't have the votes plus they would still be stuck with Frisco ..

Legal? I don't know.... The mostly French speaking Quebec wants to split from Canada and almost had the votes to do it several years ago...the folks I knew back then who lived in the English speaking rest of Canada said good riddance !! but it never made the vote..

The term of Balkinazition was used a while back... I'd vote for it!.. let the libs have their big city rat holes..

12. TheAnt

TheAnt Aesops Ant (not Aunt)

States ARE nations! The United States is a group of nations that came together under one union for the purpose of shared defence. We should think of the United States in the same way that we think of the European Union -- they are essentially the same things. A major reason we have such a mess here in the United States is that folks have ceeded all the power to the federal (think federation) government instead of leaving the power where the founding fathers put it... in the states!

Centralization of power creates a disconnected government that disregards the will, freedom and independence of the people! :soapbox1:

13. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

Yes, it can happen.
    Article Four of the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress."

14. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

I think it would just make more "big government" problems. In some ways I wish we could go back more to state and local laws/rules/decisions. The people close by are more in tune with the needs of a particular area, such as the example horseman gave about installing water heaters.

I read last week in the news that 9 counties in California are pursueing breaking off from California and becoming their own state. It's not just a radical group of people talking about it. Here's the news story:

SoCal Republican Suggests New State: South California | NBC Los Angeles

15. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

Just wondering.

Do you think merging states would make things better economically?

And if so, why?

Maybe I'm missing something.

Jimmy

16. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

Let's see.

The Executive Branch would be reduced. (Governor, Lt. Governor, AG etc.)

Eliminate one supreme court.

Eliminate some state level superintendent jobs (DOT, Highway Patrol, etc) from 2 to 1.

Won't change the State Senate or House of Representatives, but would put a bunch together that may or may not like the change, plus if one group is larger, then that "old" state will rule...may take years to be able to legislate together...

Maybe save a couple of million in salaries...drop in the bucket for most states...

Just saying....

Jimmy

17. Sourdough

Sourdough ExCommunicated

YES, You are missing something, "It is not my problem". I live in the "ONLY" state that is so wealthy that we give free money to every resident. It is called the Alaska Permenent Fund Dividend. We have NO state income tax, No state sales tax, I pay NO property/real estate tax, I get a free hunting, fishing, trapping license from the Great state of Alaska. My heat is free, my water is free, my waste disposal is free. We have NO zoning, NO building restrictions, NO building permits, I get to "Dip Net" 30 salmon per year, get subsidence Caribou, subsistence Moose, Dall Sheep & Mt. Goats are in the back yard.

42 years ago I "VOTED" the single most important vote I ever cast. I voted with my feet, and moved my *** from the lower 48 to the Great State of Alaska.

Do I think states should merge, do I think they will be stronger economically......???? I simply don't care what they do, it is not my problem.