Camping

Discussion in 'General Survival Discussion' started by sailaway, May 14, 2009.

1. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

When is the last time you went camping? Are you a minimalist or do you take alot with you? Do you use a tent or trailer? Do you work on planned survival activities or just hang out? How long and often do you go? Do you stay in one place or hike from place to place? I could ask alot more but this is enough.

2. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Last time I went was years ago. I travel very light. I used a tent but I'd love to use a trailer instead. We always go hiking and rock climbing. We tend to keep our base camp in one spot. The only thing I over do it on is water. I always carry extra just in case.

3. doc66

doc66 Well-Known Member

Last year. Because of life, I've missed the last three campouts this year that everyone else went on..grrrrrr. Mostly they are shake down camps for testing gear, so it depends on what gear I'm testing. The last one was a BOB campout, so it was minimalist. The time before that one was a canoe camp out so it was complete with booze.

But I've camped all over the USA, in various places from the Sierra's to the Smokeys.

4. sailaway

BOB camp out, interesting, I never thought about one of these. I posted this, because I am camping with the scouts this weekend. We are having a field sports weekend this weekend. I will be taking a tent, bag and thermarest. I am thinking of staying in a small staff cabin, 12x12, it is the size of the place I want to build. Pushing 50, I am also getting a little uncomfortable on the ground. I have been rehabbing a 15' trailer as a bug out place. When it is done I will be taking it with me to scout activities. This weekend I will be playing with and practicing with a couple of cooking stoves and a small charcoal grill. We will be practicing leave no trace.

5. Canadian

Leave no trace. Awesome. Make sure you teach the kids about proper food storage and what food not to bring into the woods. The last thing you want is a bear pacing around outside the cabin.

I know a group of people who got trapped inside a cabin for several days when a very hungry bear decided to sit outside the front door and wait for them to come out. They eventually ran out of food and water. Lucky for them after a few days the bear wandered off and they ran to the car and drove off.

You'd be surprised what kids bring. Stuff like candy necklaces! That's just like putting sprinkles on bear doughnut.

6. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

:D heh, the same thing happened to me @ my aunt's house in central PA, except that I ran outside naked & yelled "I'm soooo SEXY!" which must've terrified that poor little black bear because it ran off... :eek: :D of course, it helps if you outweigh the animal by a hundred pounds or so.

NO way I would ever do that with any other breed of bear, except maybe Koala ;)

7. Samoan

Samoan Guest

I went camping last October at our local lake. October is a great time for camping in Texas. We only went for 3 nights. I am not a minimalist at all when it comes to camping. I take everything I MAY need with me...just in case. I think it's kinda of a woman thing. We may practice a bit of survival strategies but we just try to relax and hang out with our kids and get some quality time in.
    We like to fish, swim, cook, arrowhead hunt, just lay out and read a book, find the ducks. We'll have plenty of time to practice survival strategies when and if the s**t ever hits the fan. Until then, I'll be enjoying myself, my family, and my life!

8. Samoan

Samoan Guest

Oh yeah, can't forget the BOOZE!!:D

9. Canadian

I'm a no booze on the trip kind of guy. Too many bad things happen when you're way out and booze is involved. If we're going to have to extract a person by boat or helicopter I don't want any extra risk and everyone has to be at 100% all the time.

But we usually go climbing or do some heavy class four scrambles. Nobody I go with wants a partner that's hung over.

10. Homer_Simpson

Homer_Simpson Well-Known Member

went camping 2 weeks ago, going again next week, as far as what I take with it depends on who I'm camping with, if out with the family seems like the van is filled to the top with stuff, if I'm out with the scouts it what I can carry and only what we need

11. sailaway

I spent 2 nights out this last weekend and had a great time. I did stay in one of the camp staff cabins. It is 12'x12' and just a little smaller than the one I want to build. I think what I am interested in building is the right size for a bug out place for me and mine. I just have to keep it simple and still have to find the right piece of land. I agree with no drinking in the wilderness, but to each his/ her own. As for the scouts, they brought all kinds of candy and other crud to eat, how ever they did have a good time doing olympic field sports activities, and the travois race after 2 hrs. of rain. The adults agreed that was worth the price of admission. There was plenty of free time for them to fish at the lake we were camped around and we had a good camp fire with lots of skits. We have decided our fall camporee is going to be centered around the Great Race Tv show. We are planning on having map and compass class then a geo trecking compass course. Some of the other leaders and I are going to set our minimalist camp up right in the middle of the troops and show them all of the stuff they don't need to have a good time. I would be open to any suggestions as to how to make this camporee more interesting, Sailaway:confused:

12. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I hope they were fishing before the rain & somebody explained to the kids why the fish were easier to catch at that time.

some of the best fishing I've ever had in Ohio was during a rainstorm

13. Canadian

I'd say just keep it kid friendly and fun. It depends on the kids. Some are just into fun. Others are motivated by competition or prizes and others by a pat on the back. As long as you keep the mood light and fun I think everyone will have a good time.

14. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

Going camping this weekend!!! Last trip was back in February!!!! Like Homer what I take depends on who I am camping with and the purpose of the trip. From time to time I teach or help teach a primitive living/bush craft course. If I am teaching or trying to master a new skill myself I go minimalist.....if it is for vacation/relaxation I take much more.

15. sailaway

Expeditioner, what skills do you teach in primitive living and bush craft?

16. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

When I go out, it is with a bit of food, a solar-blanket and a hammock. I can stay out all-summer that way.

I also have a "all the goodies" tent-trailer that I just got back home from camping in last weekend. It is setup with propane, shower, solar-panel for electricity, 1000watt generator, 35 gallon water-tank, awning, astro-turf carpet (for the outside), indoor and outdoor stoves, 6-patty BBQ, gas-axe and 3 manual axes (small hatchet, large hatchet, large axe), sleeping gear for -20°C ... etc. You can see pictures of my setup in the "Travel Trailers" thread here at PS.

17. EvilTOJ

EvilTOJ O_o

I do all kinds of camping from RV camping to essentially sleeping in my clothes on the ground in front of a fire.

18. Magi

Magi Active Member

My wife loves to go camping, roughing it for her is the Motel 8 ordering Domino's instead of the Hilton ordering room service. LOL

19. sailaway

My wifes idea of roughing it is a mint on her pillow. :confused: I've pretty much decided most women don't enjoy roughing it. It is a special woman that does.

20. Canadian

I prefer a woman who likes it rough over a woman who likes roughing it.