Camos VS Civies

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by bunkerbob, Jan 16, 2010.

1. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

I watched a youtube video the other day featuring a fella talking about :shtf: BOBs, gear, clothing and such. He made some points that made sense, and if you have read the book "Patriots" there may be some confliction in what he brings up.

In the book the main characters come to the conclusion that they would all purchase the same type and color of Camies, and, on top of that they bought a foreign countries type to make it less likely to be duplicated by someone else in their locale. This is simply to help identify friend from foe at a quick glance.

Sounds like a good idea at first glance, but, as this fella brings up, do you want to be walking around advertising, as in wearing Camies, military web gear, backpacks, the point that you could have supplies, weapons, or food that you have stored for such an event.

He, again the fella in the video, comes to the conclusion that it makes much more sense to wear common clothing, albeit outdoor seasonal type than the military type, thus blending in to your surroundings rather than standing out like a sore thumb. Yes I know military gear is great for mastering load distribution and support, but I think you can get the same results from common civilian hunting type gear.

I have to agree with him on this point, we all like our Camies not only for the proven utility and durability, but its ability to blend into the surrounding terrain. In the case for most of us we will be in a suburban, or urban environment, not out in forest, desert, or jungle. It makes sense to blend in, not make yourself a target for those who will be looking for 'sheeple' to prey upon.

Let me have your comments and input on this.

2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I don't even own any camies except a lightweight fall jacket. I do however have lots of earthtone clothing. :)

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I don't have any Camies (not even for hunting) My son on the other hand wears his 24/7.:gaah:

In a suburban, or urban environment, I would think they would send a measage - training - Most people will think military type person with military training. It could give a person a little of an edge. Unless you are one person in camies and a group of thugs ... looking for guns ... :eek:

I think most bad guys/girls look for a easy target. The little old lady/man down the street. The ones that have NO dogs or a gun and have a hard time walking to the the mailbox.

Good question ...

4. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

This fella is not by chance "Nutnfancy"?

:D

V.

5. bunkerbob

Yes it is, not bad message.

6. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

??? Didn't quite understand what you meant there

Anyway, I have posted his three vids on the Urban Survival Kit in the "Office Desk Prep Kit"-thread for those that are interested.

Btw, on the topic of clothing, I am also not very much fond of "tactical gear". Yeah it looks cool, it probably performs well, but for most situations you will prefer to be low-key rather than high-speed.

A good alternative to tactical clothing, in my opinion would be to go to professional hardware stores (where high quality tools such as hammers, drills, and the like are sold to for example construction companies. Not "Walmart or similar stores") and to buy the clothing they sell for construction workers. I have some pants which are really high quality, very low-key (simple black) and still give you additional pockets and such.

just an idea,

V.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  7. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I wear my camo-gear quite a bit, but, when I want to be "invisible" I will wear basic jeans, t-shirt and a hoodie-jacket ..

8. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

In today's society, camo is almost trendy. Heck, we have a camo diaper bag for our son. Around here, at least, people wear camo tshirts and pants all the time. It's usually Realtree or some kind of hunting camo rather than military, and I think that right there is the big difference-looking like an avid hunter rather than a "survivalist". Kids wear camo sneakers, heck, Cabella's sells camo lingerie. Of course, if you jump out of a camo'ed up '85 Blazer with a pistol on your side in camo clothes and military boots and are running your mouth like a loon, then yes, you will draw attention. But if you carry yourself like a normal person and don't talk openly about your preps while you're in the checkout at Sam's club you'll be fine.

As for me, since I've lost weight my typical clothes are jeans and button down shirts, especially Carhartt flannels and chamois shirts. I will wear camo tshirts from time to time, but not very often.

9. bunkerbob

Is this ti "hang round your wood gangsta":D

10. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

11. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

Camo or earth tone colors for the great outdoors...civies for the urban/suburban environments.

12. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Naekid, that would look nice with my orange 41 Jeep Ball Cap:2thumb:

13. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I have some camo coverall's for when I go camping in the cold but it seems camo would give you away as some one that at least mite know what there doing.

14. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

My guess is if you guys were walking around in camo lingerie, you might not "blend" too well. Or then again, guess it depends on where you are...
    :D

I agree, the avid hunter look is the go-to look around here, heck, most people I know have at least one camo vehicle.

15. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

Hey my tactical thong makes me blend right in !

:2thumb:

V.

16. TimB

TimB Member

T.M.I. there, Vertigo. :gaah: ;) Usually I'm in jeans and a t-shirt unless I'm at work. In SHTF scenario, it would depend on the situation. I have plenty of camo but also have camo clothes made from lightweight netting designed to wear over street clothes. Once their on, you can't see the street clothes underneath. Actually made for warm weather hunting but very useful in other ways.

Tim

17. sailaway

When in Rome do as the Romans do, Street cloths in the city, earth tones or camo in the countryside,;) and a speedo at the gay beach!:D

18. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I'm picturing a cross between Mad Max and Freddie Mercury...

Oh, wait...that'd just be Ted Nugent. Never mind.

19. sailaway

Ted should have been President,:2thumb: a troubled man for troubled times.

20. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

Well....uhhhh....oh never mind!!!