Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - California Governor Jerry Brown signed into law on Monday a bill allowing illegal immigrants to receive privately funded scholarships to attend the state's public colleges and universities.

The bill, dubbed the California Dream Act, passed the state Legislature earlier this month and aims at helping illegal immigrants who earned a diploma after attending at least three years of high school in the state.

Enactment of the California measure came three days after opponents of a similar law in Maryland collected enough signatures to force a state referendum seeking its repeal.

"At the end of the day, if we're going to continue as a powerful, equal-opportunity society, we're going to have to invest in our people," Brown, said at the signing ceremony in the library of a Los Angeles community college.

The California law is named after national legislation in Congress to give young, undocumented immigrants who have lived in the United States for at least five years a pathway to citizenship through college or military service.

The federal bill failed to win passage in December 2010, and its chances have dimmed since a newly elected Republican majority took control of the House of Representatives.

Critics say the California Dream Act gives illegal immigrants a false promise because their status will not change after graduating from college and they will remain unable to find legal employment. Former Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Republican, vetoed an earlier version of the bill last year.

But Julian Rivera, 20, a student at the University of California at Berkeley who entered the United States illegally with his parents at age 12 from Mexico, said the measure could make it easier those like him to afford to stay in school.

"It doesn't matter where you come from, it doesn't matter what your background is, it just matters that you have passion for something and you want to do it," he said. "This is a country that has given us that freedom."

OPPOSING "THE DREAM"

Patrick McDonough, a Republican member of the Maryland House of Delegates who helped lead the petition drive for the repeal initiative there, said U.S. citizens who are struggling to pay for college should not have to compete with illegal immigrants for scarce financial resources.

"People would say, 'Why should we, when we're having tough economic times ourselves, pay for someone who is here illegally?'" he said.

The new California law is fairly limited in scope, making undocumented students who qualify eligible for private scholarships. A separate bill under consideration in the legislature would allow illegal immigrants to seek publicly funded scholarships as well.

State law already allows illegal immigrants who qualify for admission to a four-year state university to pay in-state tuition rather than the more expensive out-of-state tuition rate. But four-year institutions are still beyond reach for many undocumented students without financial aid.

Twelve other states also grant in-state tuition eligibility to illegal immigrants based on attendance and graduation from a state high school, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, South Carolina and Indiana have laws barring illegal immigrants from in-state tuition benefits.

Passage of legislation in California and Maryland to extend private scholarships to illegal immigrants comes as a number of states, led by Arizona, have taken steps to crack down on the undocumented.

"You're going to see the red states go more the Arizona approach and blue states the California Dream Act approach," said John Skrentny, director of the Center for Comparative Immigration Studies at University of California, San Diego.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Undocumented, illegal persons now get college money. Great, they
are being rewarded for their illegal status. I couldn't give a flying
*explicitword* that they are in high school or not. CLOSE THE BORDERS.

I couldn't get financial aid for the first 3 years of my college career.
I just got financial aid months ago because when you turn 25, in
the state of Washington technically you aren't using your parent's income.
Even though I haven't been at my parents place since I was 18, I still
couldn't get financial aid because my parents could pay for my
schooling. But they didn't. I paid out of pocket for 3 years and
it was an extreme struggle.

I know that the persons have to be kids brought here for at least
5 years and have to attend at least 3 years of school during that time.
How hard is it to get documented? Yes, it's a process but it's the only
LEGAL WAY.

I am quite disgusted that California, the brokest state for YEARS
is handing out free money to illegals...

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Treason which is par for the coarse.

Brown "invest in our future",somebody needs to tell this fool that Mexico is not 'our'America is our nation and Americans our people.Legal welcomed immigrants who come to join us,not to change us into what they are.Not criminals or their illegal offspring who take from our resources and labors.
We are about to get the nation we deserve.A few of us don't deserve it but we have no power.All the cowards in these states who keep silent when seditious traitors give away their childrens future will soon reap what complacentcy and insanity brings on them.
You could have stopped it with ballots and peaceful protest,but American Idol and sports were more important,like the romans you emulate you will lose all.You can't hide for long or prepare enough to stop whats coming.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Invest in our people??????? What about true American children who do not have the money to go to college? That's who we should be investing in not illegals.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
:hmmm: Dayum ... that sounds like an awesome idea

:idea: I can hop onto my bicycle and ride down to California from Canada bummin' food along the way and then when I get to California, I can enroll in University as an illegal alien and not really worry about how my tuition is being paid for, then when my 4 years are up, hop onto my bicycle again and bum my way back into Canada with my degree ...

:melikey:

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
:hmmm: Dayum ... that sounds like an awesome idea

:idea: I can hop onto my bicycle and ride down to California from Canada bummin' food along the way and then when I get to California, I can enroll in University as an illegal alien and not really worry about how my tuition is being paid for, then when my 4 years are up, hop onto my bicycle again and bum my way back into Canada with my degree ...

:melikey:
At least you may ue it for good.Most latinos or mexicans who break in don't much care for education.Its the grant money they go after on the most part.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Invest in our people??????? What about true American children who do not have the money to go to college? That's who we should be investing in not illegals.
Its called 'spreading the wealth,which is a lie.What they really do is spread the poverty.They don't want those who are use to freedom to be in control of their nation,they want those who are use to dictatorhips and submissions.
We have committed suicide,plain and simple.No nation in the world could have destroyed or conquored us,we did that with no help from anyone.All the had to do was vote and protest.

·
Lonewufcry
57 Posts
I am so sick and tired of political morons here. I am so ticked knowing that my daughter has busted her butt trying to pay for collage and some illeagle gets a free ride. I am sick and tired of how everyone says its the right thing to do well F%$K YOU. What about those who need the help and that were born here huh what about those people that have been struggeling to survive on what they work for. Do you know that in other countries like mexico if you are a illeagle you have no rights and if you get into trouble or they think you are causing trouble you go to prison. Oh and if you protest your arse goes to prison. If you think that those prisons are like here your dead wrong.

·
Registered
59 Posts
WTF

OK...So we all say what the heck are THEY doing....I think we should think about what WE can actually do to change ALL policies for illegals. I don't know how to execute the process, but we need come together and contact people and stop this crap. I think that most of us say WTF, but don't know how to stop this stuff. There should be a e-mail dist list to those BOZO's. I for one hate chain mail because I never know if it's valid...Anybody have any thoughts or ideas on how to resolve this.

Also...This is not just a Calif. issue....Because after they get over there they come live next to you. If they want to be US citizens, then that's ok...But prove it

:mad:

·
Registered
68 Posts
No wonder why California is broke! I just hope the federal govt doesn't bail them out with my tax dollars! :mad:

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I predicted last year that in 5-10 years, the only humans left in CaliMex would be welfare mamas, illegal Mexicans, gangs, and politicians!!:rolleyes:

·
Supporting Member
3,243 Posts
All public universities are funded partially by taxpayer dollars, so technically in EVERY state where illegals are granted admission to a public college/university, part of their education is funded with tax money.

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
If we was wantin ta gather em up an send em home, this "Dream" would be a good way ta find em. All there gonna do is suck up 4 years a free money an keep gettin there welfare checks like usual.

I can't understand why government wan'ts these people. America don't, Arizona don't an look what the feds tried ta pull on them.

Lets start takin the illegal costs outa congress's paychecks an benefits. Bet they'd send em packin rite quick then wouldn't they.

California wan'ts em, let em have em, send em all there an build a wall round it. I got a good friend what has lived there her whole life, she struggles ta find decent employment an put her kids through school. Because she tries ta help herself an her family she don't qualify fer anysort a help. An now there gonna give education ta illegals fer doin nothin? Just ain't right.

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
I plan to vote against this in Maryland. I was pretty po'd when this came up, Im glad it will be up to the people.
I know some legal Mexicans (now citizens) that are against this. I dont see how this makes any sense.
If I was from Virginia I couldnt get in state tuition, but if I'm in this country illegally I can?
Huh?

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
OK...So we all say what the heck are THEY doing....I think we should think about what WE can actually do to change ALL policies for illegals. I don't know how to execute the process, but we need come together and contact people and stop this crap. I think that most of us say WTF, but don't know how to stop this stuff. There should be a e-mail dist list to those BOZO's. I for one hate chain mail because I never know if it's valid...Anybody have any thoughts or ideas on how to resolve this.

Also...This is not just a Calif. issue....Because after they get over there they come live next to you. If they want to be US citizens, then that's ok...But prove it

There were Americans trying to make a change and stop the invasion,but not only did some of us get beat down in the streets but also threatened and cursed by more white americans than we did any others.

ALIPAC.com Americans Legal Immigration PAC. Join ALIPAC & Americans Legal Immigration PAC ALIPAC
NumbersUSA | For Lower Immigration Levels - For Lower Immigration Levels

This is two of the groups,go read and weep.Also we anglo americans don't stick together like minorities do.They have thousands of groups working for their causes and many lobbies.They don't fight and sling all their skeletins out of the closets ,like we do.They have special treatment and progams not available to us.
But in the long run we all lose,majority of our foolish black fellow americans listen to race hustlers that divide us to conquor.
2we all will soon suffer this invasion together,the blacks and whites built this nation together,and together we are destroying it.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
I plan to vote against this in Maryland. I was pretty po'd when this came up, Im glad it will be up to the people.
I know some legal Mexicans (now citizens) that are against this. I dont see how this makes any sense.
If I was from Virginia I couldnt get in state tuition, but if I'm in this country illegally I can?
Huh?
There are some latinos who are against illegals who coem here to change us into what they left,but not very many.Their roots with their culture run deep,too bad Americans are'nt as protective of theirs.Just like the other than mexican,aka,OTMs that come to change us,many are very dangerous.Many from africa,middle east.Both these and the hispanics breed many welfare kids for us to feed,shelter and provide healthcare for.Obama wants us to keep doing this so he and the others are increasing our taxes.But obama is no worse than the wolves in sheeps clothing RINOs and democrats.One needs their votes,the other needs their labor for their lobbies of big business.We have nobody on our side.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts

:congrat: You betcha! I don't know how we can stop this stuff but somehow, I wish we could all rise up together and stop it. Makes me wonder how things have gotten this far without revolt!

I get dozens of those email chain letter/"forwards" about various things that piss us all off, and they all have a 'call to action' and 'we need to stop this now" or 'we need to act', but...none of them ever say HOW, other than to keep forwarding them on or write your politicians.

I'd think legal mexicans would be pissed at the illegal ones. I would be. I am pissed as a white American citizen, that these people can get a free ride and my kids, who have been raised by citizen, taxpaying parents, can't even get financial aid for college without a long hassle with the application process. Makes me mad on those applications when I see the place for "race". Seems like that's discrimination, regardless of who's side that favors.

It's like they're blind, deaf, and dumb when it comes to ILLEGAL. We the people should sue the government for breach of contract or something, for not upholding/enforcing the laws of our own nation. I wonder if there's a lawyer anywhere with the balls to take on a case like that, with the citizens of the United States as plaintiffs, like a class-action suit or something.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
It's just another sign that while some states like Wisconsin are headed in the right direction, other states like California and Illinois are headed for a disaster like the Titanic heading for an iceberg.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
:congrat: You betcha! I don't know how we can stop this stuff but somehow, I wish we could all rise up together and stop it. Makes me wonder how things have gotten this far without revolt!

I get dozens of those email chain letter/"forwards" about various things that piss us all off, and they all have a 'call to action' and 'we need to stop this now" or 'we need to act', but...none of them ever say HOW, other than to keep forwarding them on or write your politicians.

I'd think legal mexicans would be pissed at the illegal ones. I would be. I am pissed as a white American citizen, that these people can get a free ride and my kids, who have been raised by citizen, taxpaying parents, can't even get financial aid for college without a long hassle with the application process. Makes me mad on those applications when I see the place for "race". Seems like that's discrimination, regardless of who's side that favors.

It's like they're blind, deaf, and dumb when it comes to ILLEGAL. We the people should sue the government for breach of contract or something, for not upholding/enforcing the laws of our own nation. I wonder if there's a lawyer anywhere with the balls to take on a case like that, with the citizens of the United States as plaintiffs, like a class-action suit or something.
William Gheen at one of the sites I put up " alipac'is trying to get Oboma for treason.Selling them guns and not protecting the borders.
Few weeks ago'July 4th' there were tens of thousands of illegals in the streets of Atlanta Ga..Where were the Americans?I always ask myself this question.
At an intersection a 'NUMBERSUSA'member was attacked and beaten to the pavement with his sign,then kicked with boots ,he was an old man.Did anyone a the very busy intersection stop and offer him help,hell NO! They just looked and drove off.This kind of violence happened to a few of us.They just cursed me and called the cops,but cops did'nt bother me.I was more frustrated with my fellow americans than I was with the illegals.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
It's just another sign that while some states like Wisconsin are headed in the right direction, other states like California and Illinois are headed for a disaster like the Titanic heading for an iceberg.
Its more than just these states that in jeopardizing their futures.If amnesty is passed and thanks to complacent PC americans it will be,they then can bring in their relatives and this means at least 200MILLION more people in this nation.Already more have come in illegally than all the people who came here from 1500s to 1960'google it'or go to alipac and read about it!
Included in this invasion are some very dagerous drug pushers and muslim radicals.
The evil killer in Oslo Norway has already got our leaders using him to come down on us if we speak out.Soon we won't be able to even open our complacent mouth,silence we have used for whatever reasons,will be our downfall and we'll be silenced forever.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Why the fu*k is our government giving out free money when we are in a debt crisis, why give money for college when theres no friggin jobs to begin with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts