Calgary getting into Urban Gardening

Discussion in 'Gardening and Agriculture' started by NaeKid, Nov 2, 2009.

1. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I was reading in the FastForward magazine that Calgary is slowly moving back towards urban gardening - both as a co-op (group gardening) and solo (backyard). From the late 70's till recent, gardening has been considered a waste of time / energy / money by many Calgarians. With the rising costs of food (and the transportation of it), people are realizing that things will need to move to a more agriculturally responsible lifestyle ..

Full, unedited version of the story here: FFWD - Calgary Life & Style - Urban Living - Room to grow

Continued in next message ...

2. NaeKid

Part 2

Part 2 of the article

See next message for my thoughts on this ...

3. NaeKid

Part 3

10,000 character limit sucks sometimes ...

I have also been looking around at all the "empty" green-space near the main north-south corridor in the city (also known as The Deerfoot). In the middle of the clover-leafs (on and off ramps) we have grass that isn't watered - just left to naturally grow and it gets trimmed a couple times a summer.

It would be very nice if those kinds of areas were allowed to grow natural edible plants - blueberries, saskatoon berries, elderberries, etc. All along the sides of that road is a "green-space" between the roadway and the nearest houses / businesses (picture of that kind of green-space shown in "Home from above" thread). It would be great if those green-spaces could be turned into community gardens with fruit-trees, carrots, peas, beans, etc.

4. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

That NaeKid is a great idea. See if you can plant that idea in a local politicians head under the idea of going green, that should put a bug in the ear. Let them say the thought was theirs might work. Anything for a vote i reckon its the same all over. Just might work. Ya never know till ya try.

5. NaeKid

The movement is on towards that already. We have a couple of vocal groups that are taggin' the city's politicians and bending their ears towards green-spaces turned to fresh-fruit, fresh-berry, fresh vegitable growing zones.

I am not part of any of those groups but I totally agree with their ideas. I wonder if Sandusky might make that happen. :sssh:

6. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Urban gardening is great. Not really catching on in Toronto. Only the older generation do it.

7. twolilfishies

twolilfishies wanna be prepared

Paul Hughes is working hard towards getting those green spaces growing!
    You sound like you would get along well at his calgary food coucil meetings!:2thumb:
    I have thought about the growing in unused spaces for years...Just planting without asking is more my style though:)
    Once I did plant some seeds in a downtown planter but someone found them before they budded ...:p