Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all... My daughter loves bugs especially butterflies.
so this past summer she decided to find butterfly eggs and see if she could hatch butterflies.
well she successfully found over a dozen monarch eggs on milk weeds and been feeding the catapillers as they hatch and just this morning we have three adult monarchs that have emerged from their cocoons!
I have been documenting this on facebook and thought i would share this project with you all. If any of you have kids who love bugs but never tried this I encourage you to do this if possible because it is a fun and rewarding project!
plus when you let the butterflies go they will return next year!!
enjoy!
Laura Halfpenny | Facebook

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Cool project ... :2thumb:

But no facebook for me. {sigh}

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
All I get is, "This content is currently unavailable." :dunno:

·
Supporting Member
3,312 Posts
That's so cool! What a fun project.

We've never found butterfly eggs in the wild, is that pathetic? We did a butterfly hatching project a couple years ago, but it was a kit where the larvae were mailed to us. They were painted ladies - very pretty, but not nearly as cool as monarchs! :)

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's so cool! What a fun project.

We've never found butterfly eggs in the wild, is that pathetic? We did a butterfly hatching project a couple years ago, but it was a kit where the larvae were mailed to us. They were painted ladies - very pretty, but not nearly as cool as monarchs! :)
look for milkweeds and check under the leaves. if you see little white raised dots those are monarch eggs!
:2thumb:

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The butterfly project pics!

The egg.. find on the underside of milkweed leaves.

the catapiller when finished feeding gets big and fat. then hangs upside down in a letter 'J' fashion as it turns into a chrysalis

the cocoon is pale green with gold spots and a line of gold beading near the top

it takes from 7-15 days for the cocoon to turn dark and you will see the lines of the butterfly wings forming. very cool.

then it suddenly hatches!

newly hatched it takes a few hours to dry their wings and once they are roaming the habitat after about 4 hours we let them go.

More cocoons with beautiful monarchs on the way!

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Great pictures and a VERY cool project!

Thanks for posting!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts