Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this spring turned out to be crazy. I've been taking classes after work for the past three years in hopes of landing a promotion, which has finally happened. The drawback is that I have to spend 22 weeks in training in Southern Virginia. I leave this coming Thursday. My wife and son will stay home but can come and visit.

DW has the garden tilled but it's been too wet to plant yet. She's going to plant my Seed Project seeds and take pics for me to post here. I'm leaving for the busy season around home and with the farm and all I feel bad about going but this is a one time shot for a better job and other family members have offered to pick up my work around home. I'm looking forward to going but it's kind of mind boggling at the same time. I'll have a GHB in my rental car but I'll be going from a farm environment to living in a high rise apartment. I'll have a laptop so I'll be online here and updating all as to how I'm getting by but I'd appreciate any mention as to my being 6 hours from home be limited to Quiet Time to not spread too much that I'm away.

It's gonna be an interesting summer. High adventure and lots of fun, but still, I'll be away for a long time.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Jason, take full advantage of this one shot opportunity. I remember when we had dinner in our visit I could tell you wanted more and this is your time. I know you are the type of person who will be there for your family when they need the same assistance. We are all pulling for you, I will gladly do anything I can for you and yours. sail

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Congrats, Jason. We're pulling for you. Git'r'done!

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. Yeah, this is it. This is the oportunity I was waiting for and I intend to do well in training. I'll keep this thread going to report on how I'm faring in the city. I might well start a couple pots' worth of seeds. Once I finish up at the end of September I'll never have to go back and my spot in my current place of employment will still be mine.

I've got firewood stocked up for any late Spring or early Fall chills, the garden is as far along as weather will allow, Dad has help with the crops (most of the time, anyway), so all I can do now is sit back and enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Congrats Jason :woohoo:

Southern Virginia is not bad ;) and a nice place to spend a little time. Remember if you visit one of out great beaches ... watch out for SHARKS! :eek:

If you are going to being in one of our larger cities, remember to keep the doors to your car/truck locked when you are not around. And if you have a hitch on your car/truck leave it at home. ;) (hubby was in Richmond for a meeting and his boss told him about the hitches. :gaah:)

Now the 22 weeks away from your family (ouch) that will be hard, I know.

And hey ... maybe your family and mine can get together for dinner before you head back up north.

:welcome: to Virginia!!!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Andi, I guess I'm a little thick.......what about the hitches?:eek:

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Andi, I guess I'm a little thick.......what about the hitches?:eek:
It's just a new thing around here, in the cities ??? If you have a hitch on your truck/car "some people" will steal them? Who knows what "some city folks think" ?

The company my husband works for has lost more than a few in the past months ??? (Around the Richmond area)

What are they doing with them ... I have no clue ... just the in thang for city folks now. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Thanks Andi. Sounds like some of those folks need hitched up along side the head.:club:

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Thanks Andi. Sounds like some of those folks need hitched up along side the head.:club:
On that ... We agree ... lol

That IMO would put a stop to lots of the stealing. ;)

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Good luck Jason.

I think Andi meant to say something to you about a fresh lamb dinner while you're in the area but forgot. :ignore:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Good luck Jason.

I think Andi meant to say something to you about a fresh lamb dinner while you're in the area but forgot. :ignore:
:lolsmash:I'll bet Andi's not gonna be serving up her spring lambs.:lolsmash:

·
Comic Relief Member
980 Posts
Best of luck, Jason. It's YOUR time.... git 'er done! :congrat::congrat:

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
:lolsmash:I'll bet Andi's not gonna be serving up her spring lambs.:lolsmash:
LOL ...

You got that right. :D No spring lambs on the menu.;)

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Aw, man! Jason, that means when we won't get to meet you when we come through your home area late this summer? Drat! But we wish you well and hope the training all goes well. Follow your dreams! :)

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm afraid it might, Sue. I might be able to get home for the weekend, though.

Andi-I'd love to meet you and your family. It's kind of hectic here around the house right now but once I hit Norfolk I'll have time to post. I'll be able to look at things from the perspective of an urban prepper, kind of like Canadian, for those who remember him.

I'll have some preps but not tons and tons since this is a temporary assignment. My big concern will be getting home in the event of a big disaster and avoiding hurricanes.

Will keep all informed.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, I'm in Virginia, settled into my apartment, which is on the 15th floor of a 25 floor high rise. The traffic was a little rough on the way down but we made it. There are 2 of us here from my place of employment and our classes start Monday, so we have the weekend to learn the area. Gotta say it's nice here, albeit much more urban than I'm used to.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Training's been heck this first week...finally got a routine established so I'm going to be here for a while tonight playing catchup. :)

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Glad to hear you are settled in and a routine established ... Good luck with your training.

Edit to add ... Keep an open eye, for Hurricane evacuation routes, as you learn the area.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Thanks for the continued updates, Jason. It's good to hear how you're doing.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, Andi, I've kind of been doing that. Looks like 64 is the main route inland. I've got to try and find backroads that head that way. Traffic is awful here on an avarage day so I'd hate to see it in a SHTF situation.

I do like the area, though. It's a little flatter terrain than I'm used to but Portsmouth is a cool town. I'm watching them build ships across the river from my place right now.

1 - 20 of 222 Posts