Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on an unrelated search. Imagine what your family would think if this showed up in your backyard. Pretty extreme.

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is another company selling similar products. They label this as;

"Blast door hidden discretely" .. Not sure if putting that mirror on it makes it discreet.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I live near the Crane Navel Surface Warfare Center, and they had some missile silo designs here...
Not ever used for missiles, just the silos in full scale so they could look for flaws or ways to improve the design.

When the auctioned off the property, it went for ridiculously cheap prices and a guy I know purchased one and he lives in it now.
If you like living 50 feet underground with 10 foot thick walls, I guess it rocks.

Personally, I like a few more windows! ;)

·
Outdoorsman, Bladesmith
105 Posts
I'm actually fond of the buried shipping container idea for storage and short-term shelter-in-place (less than 3 days). The only problem with it is to corrosion-proof the steel. Just a layer of paint, and groundwater will eat through it faster than your long-term food storage will spoil. A good shrink-wrap or 2-3 layers of tyvek, and maybe it'd work. Probably better is just to drop one off in a remote area of land you yourself own, and build a weatherproof shell around it (roof & walls) and don't tell anybody about it ever.

As much as I like this place for the sharing of useufl ideas, in a true catestrophic survival situation, where we all become competitors for resources, information security will be key, and too much sharing can get your stash pillaged faster than you can say "whaaa?" God willing, that day will never descend on us.

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To get a shipping container buried around my area would require dynamiting the area and then most neighbors would know.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There are other ways to hide a shipping container.
If there are earthen mounds in your area just pile dirt around it .
Or prefab sides and a roof to make it look like a shed or one car garage.
And if you go the garage way you can make the building a bit bigger so when you go into the garage, you can close the over head door, and then open the container with out anyone noticing .
Just a few ideas to ponder .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone priced a shipping container? Never seen one for sale so no clue how much they run.
I know a guy close to where I live that can get them for $1000. I think these are the "trailer" type that an 18 wheeler pulls. Not sure if you were talking about those or the ones that are on ships.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cargo containers in the DFW area are around 2500 dollars for a high cube. The ones behind 18 wheelers are the same as the ones on ships, they just set them on a wheeled frame.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Shipping containers are around $2500 to $3000 for a 40'.
Check craigslist or google for your area.
I'm looking at one for everyday storage so I can get my shop and garage back.
AC

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
If you do a search on the term "Intermodal container" you will find what is commonly called a "Sea Can". One particular website that I found during a quick GoogleSearch came up with this Wiki page.

The "Sea Can" is able to be transported via rail, ship, truck. It can be "dumped" off of a deck-truck anywhere. Small mobile-cranes are capable of lifting and moving the empty "Sea Cans" - large mobile cranes are required to move fully filled units.

There are more things to do with Sea Cans than just storage, they can be turned into a garage, a tool-shed, a bunk-house, work-shop and all kinds of things. In my metal fabrication business, I have converted them for use in oil-n-gas exploration.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got this one deliverd for 2500, it's 40' X 9', I highly suggest a high cube, more room for tractors with roll bars and taller shelves.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No, just storage, I keep a tractor, boat, quad, riding mower and some other stuff in it. I need to add some intake vents so the exhaust vents will actually do something.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I've got two of the 20' versions of that.
Work pretty good for locking up the tools when we are working at the river!

One is dirt sheltered, and we are considering building an entry way from poured concrete and making it a 'Root Cellar'.

The price should come down now that the price of scrap steel has come down. I saw a 40' one down the road a week or so for sale for $1,500 but it had a pretty wicked hole in the roof.

·
Proverbs31Woman
87 Posts
Shipping Container Vendor Info.

We just purchased a 48 ft shipping container for our homestead. We got it from L & H storage in Martinsburg, WV. Phone (304) 262-2222.

Their containers run in price from $1400.00 to over $2000.00 depending on size and condition. There is not a huge difference in price compared to size. The smaller size are in most demand and they are priced accordingly. Most containers there are in the 20 to 40 ft long size. Their inventory changes quickly so, if you want something specific you need to keep in touch.They will also deliver for a fee.

Very nice people to deal with.

You will have to call as they don't have a website.:(

1 - 20 of 41 Posts