Bulk Salt

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by philjam, Feb 2, 2011.

1. philjam

philjam Well-Known Member

Where can I get food grade bulk salt? How do I store bulk salt and what is a reasonable price?

2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

3. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

I buy 25 lb bags of salt at Costco for about $4. (food grade). Then I pick up a food grade white plastic pail and lid (paint aisle) from the Home Depot for $4 and then pour it straight in and seal it. Will last forever. Not the 5 gallon white pails, but the half size. It fits snug and perfectly.

I put up one per year, will have a ton over time.

4. BizzyB

BizzyB BucketHunter

We get Redmond "Real Salt" in bulk. It's a sea salt, but mined from a Jurassic age deposit. It's pink from all of the extra minerals, which although it is not iodized like commercial salt, is the big selling point for me. The link I provided goes to the page with the mineral analysis .pdf. It's very interesting.

5. UncleJoe

Yeah, I prefer sea salt as well. It doesn't turn my canning ventures cloudy and I only use about half as much sea salt in a recipe as opposed to regular table salt. However, I do keep iodized salt around also, just not as much.

6. BizzyB

BizzyB BucketHunter

That's good to know. I haven't used sea salt in any canning, but will try it now if there are no unappetizing consequences. :D

7. UncleJoe

I learned about the "cloudy" thing from someone here some time back. Now I can actually see the beans and peas in the jars. :)

8. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

I think well salt or solar salt can work for canning or curing. It's evaporated sea salt and cleaner than rock salt, but not food grade. I'm no expert, but if it can be in your well I have no problem curing a ham with it. It's about $5 or $6 for 80# at Lowes or HD. My local restaurant supply has table salt in 50# bags for $8 or $9. They also have assorted veggies in #10 cans for $4-$6 depending on your choice. Not great, but not bad and no membership fees.

9. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

We have also put back a lot of salt of all kinds. To me it is one of the most important, not only for seasoning, but for preserving & canning and barter. If and when things really get rough salt will be more vauable than gold. IMHO

10. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I too think that salt is something that will be worth more than gold--it was used as currency for many 1000's of years before refrigeration and will be again post SHTF.

The anti-caking ingredients in some table salt is what makes your canning goods cloudy. I also can with sea salt as long as it doesn't have any iodine in it--they taste off and funny to me when I have used the iodized salt in the past.
    I have some pink salt that I just love but price wise it is just for special occasions at the moment! I also had some gray sea salt and it is nice too--got it on sale but could not afford to buy it regularly.
    MI used to be big in the salt mining industry and I think that if the world goes to heck in a handbag folks will remember that there is a huge deposit of salt under Detroit and that mine will be back up and running again.

11. philjam

philjam Well-Known Member

Thank you all.

12. alienpsychomom

alienpsychomom New Member

Question for Survival Nut about bucket

Are you saying that the 2 in a half gallon bucket will hold 25 pounds of salt? Thank you

13. Tucker

Tucker Junior Member

Himalayan salt

fyi. If you have a Winco near you, they now carry Himalayan pink sea salt in the bulk aisles. It is $1.27/lb at my store. The same salt is a LOT more expensive at Costco or Trader Joe's. I'm finally able to afford to use the Himalayan salt for all my needs.

14. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

We buy Morton salt in 40lb bags at the pool supply store, the same brand of salt you get at the grocery. It says right on the bag that it's fit for human consumption & it doesn't have iodine in it.

15. weedygarden

weedygarden Well-Known Member

I believe it is hard to have too much salt, except when you are lacking in storage space.

Salt, like sugar, doesn't go bad if kept dry and you don't want to put an oxygen absorber in it unless you want a hard rock of salt. When I buy 25 pound bags, I put the bag into a 5 gallon bucket with a gamma seal lid.

I have purchased salt of all varieties, including "no salt." There is a recipe for making your own hydrating drink that calls for "no salt".

I agree that salt may be worth more than gold in a break down of society.

16. Jim1590

Jim1590 Annoying pain in the.... knee

17. weedygarden

weedygarden Well-Known Member

25 pounds of salt is around $4.00 at Sam's and Costco.

18. ETXgal

ETXgal Junior Member

Sam's here is more than that. I bought a bag about 2-3 months ago. Still, it is worth the money, no doubt about it. The price of everything keeps hopping up though. The packaging on a lot of things is smaller, and you still pay more too. Thanks for the heads up on all of this stuff!